Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-1 with gain controls?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-1 with gain controls?
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
I just picked up this 9v battery supply in a minidisc collection. What has me slightly confused is this unit has two gain slider controls and is in an otterbox case.

Did the first versions of these come in a box like this? Were the slide controls added later for this as a custom job?

I bought this lot of old equipment figuring I could use this SP 9v supply as an alternative to the really simple Church Audio one I've used for a decade +

Just curious if anyone else has seen a model quite like this.

Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-1 with gain controls?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:50:56 AM »
Looks like a limited production unit.  I remember seeing these.
Very nice construction inside.
Good capacitors.
Switch for roll off.
The sliders all you to attenuate a bit more, if you were using a device that clips on input.
Most modern flash recorders have a wide range of input levels, but this is certainly nice to see.  You can set the levels of the sliders inside to box, tape them down and not worry about it.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dgny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:41:35 AM »
 I have this box. Yours is newer than mine, I did not have a hinged cover (four screws on mine). Purchased in '98.
The sliders were added for recorders that had to be put in pause-mode to change levels. Mostly minidisc recorders.
This really was a great solution for level adjustment in that situation.
MBHO 603 ka500>SD mp2> Sony D-50

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
I have this box. Yours is newer than mine, I did not have a hinged cover (four screws on mine). Purchased in '98.
The sliders were added for recorders that had to be put in pause-mode to change levels. Mostly minidisc recorders.
This really was a great solution for level adjustment in that situation.

This! I have/had the same box as dgny. Mine had a cable output that eventually went bad, and I replaced it with the model without the sliders. (and several other batt/pre type boxes).
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com