Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Curious if anyone else is working with the Zynaptiq Unfilter Plug In  (Read 1879 times)

Offline JEMS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
It's called Zynaptiq Unfilter Real-time Tonal Linearization Plug-in. The Sweetwater website does a lot better job than I could to explain what it does and how it works.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Unfilter--zynaptiq-unfilter-real-time-tonal-linearization-plug-in

It was recommended to me by a Grammy-winning mastering engineer who does a lot of restoration work on vintage recordings. When he learned I was working almost exclusively with audience recordings, he strongly suggested I check it out.

I've always been skeptical of black box or one button solutions, but this seems to be another in the emerging line of machine-learning based plug ins that do what we never thought possible.  The first bullet on Sweetwater sort of sums it up:

"A mind-blowing audio restoration plug-in that automatically detects and remove resonances, equalization, roll-offs and the effects of comb filtering"

I have found it incredibly useful on shows recorded with low-end gear, often restoring a musical fidelity of highs and lows that was nothing but a boxy, muddled mess otherwise. Some recordings don't take to it at all. Others it is like magic, shifting a recording from unlistenable to listenable or good to very good.

It seems to compensate for resonances that can mask what's actually on the tape, like moving a pillow that was blocking the speaker.

I don't use it on everything and there are times when it can seem to take away "forwardness," for lack of a better word, in vocals. But it often makes low-end and mid-range tapes sound so much more musical and natural, which says a lot about a processor.

Again, I would only recommend it to those dealing in vintage, mid-grade audience recordings as that's where it will serve you best.

Would love to hear if others have used and what you make of it. I believe there is a free demo. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the company, which I think is based in Germany, but it has become a very powerful restoration tool for me.

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
Re: Curious if anyone else is working with the Zynaptiq Unfilter Plug In
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:54:34 AM »
This looks very interesting. I just downloaded it and will report back with my thoughts. I'm very curious what others think of it as well.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:20:45 PM »
Got the link up now. +T. Keep up the good (great) work.   :clapping:
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, will check this out.

Software audio correction tools are rapidly improving and becoming increasingly sophisticated. 
Interested tapers are wise to keep an eye open for on-going developments in this area.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »
Have had my eye on some of their products over the last several years, haven't tried anything yet. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline JayBTV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:40:34 PM »
I've used it since 2012.  It's fantastic.  Nothing like it especially for restoring the low end of AUDs that don't have any, or bringing out color in totally flat/muddy recordings.  I tend to turn the intensity way up and tweak the resulting output w/ other VSTs.

-@Copperpot5
@Copperpot5

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 01:11:46 AM »
the emergence of such tech in recent yearsis why i have always argued against "mastering" sources and putting them out as the only available source. The least-processed version of any given source should always be the reference version, and we can apply an increasingly sophisticated array of technologies in the future down the line as they become available

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com