Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MOTU M-series (M2 & M4)  (Read 12108 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: MOTU M-series (M2 & M4)
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
cool! recording is all i need, so admittedly it just needs to put bits to media and ill be happy!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
AUM is quite the swiss army knife. docs are here

after using it for a bit (and rereading your notes above), it can do what i need to do

pretty basic. connect device. settings>check bit depth an sample rate > add stereo input 1+2, add stereo input 3 +4, arm both, and record.

**however one needs to save session after recording!!! it apparently doesnt autosave files when recording stops** I'm guessing this would not bode well for recovering files lost in power outage. In fact, files that ran long (somewhere around 120 minutes at 24/32) were pre-pended with 'rescue' but in fact were 14KB in size and irrecoverable

it took me a while to figure out how to get the recordings off the phone. according to the docs "The recordings are written directly into the file space of AudioShare, the audio file manager for iOS."

so I then bought that app for $4 (which seems to be an excellent simple 2-channel recording app in its own right), but couldn't access the files via copytrans, until i drop them into "itunes file sharing". They then become available in copytrans under the audioshare app. I guess the other apps were using "itunes file sharing" the whole time and i never knew it
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:04:53 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
i will say the M4 is very efficient. been testing on and off all day, 2 x P48 + line-in, powered by a 10000 mAH anker battery. 2+ hours in and the battery is about 75%. The unit doesnt get warm at all, unlike some other ADCs i have used.

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »
Has anyone actually used the MOTU as a standalone preamp on USB-C battery power? I've had an M4 since they dropped but just realized it could do this. I think it still runs the mic's signal through AD then DA conversion (so slight time delay) then to the stereo outs.

I think using the MOTU as 2 extra preamps for a MixPre-6 is just a matter of making a dual RCA to 1/8" TRS cable (to inpuut in the MixPre's channel 5/6)...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 05:08:58 AM »
Has anyone actually used the MOTU as a standalone preamp on USB-C battery power? I've had an M4 since they dropped but just realized it could do this. I think it still runs the mic's signal through AD then DA conversion (so slight time delay) then to the stereo outs.

I think using the MOTU as 2 extra preamps for a MixPre-6 is just a matter of making a dual RCA to 1/8" TRS cable (to inpuut in the MixPre's channel 5/6)...

yes i have (at home). you just need a powered usb hub ($20-$30 at newegg)

a bit shy of the "pro" gear in specs but its quality is as good as any other modern "prosumer" unit (mixpre, zoom, etc)

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »
^^ Did you notice a time delay from the AD/DA conversion of the tracks that went through the MOTU vs. the tracks that didn't?  My hope is that the time delay would be constant and correctable in post...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:10 AM »
i only used it by itself, not with additional tracks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com