Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Identifying Rycote model and compatibility with SRS shapeways mounts  (Read 5408 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Identifying Rycote model and compatibility with SRS shapeways mounts
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 02:06:51 PM »
For reference, a USD nickel weighs 5 grams. I suspect the DPA is closer to what aaronji posted above.

Is the SRS mount a stereo mount? Why not use the INV 7HG MKIII-style above or this (also mentioned in another of Volt's threads):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1544187-REG/rycote_41138_invision_on_camera_universal_shotgun.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:37:10 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
I just weighed my shapeway din mount for 4022's, plus the 4022's with windscreens on.  5 ounces.

Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
OK, a few things:

1. Now that we know this is a pair of actives, any sort of Duo-Lyre is totally out of the question. Even the lightest 68-shore version is going to be far too stiff, and that includes that InVision On-Camera mount which is the same exact stiffness in a non-modular format.

2. It seems DPA actives are close in mass to a Line Audio CM3. Line Audio doesn't specify it, but I just put one of mine on my coffee scale and it is 30.5g.

3. Given all of my Lyre trial-and-error with my CM3s, I can say with total confidence that what you want here is a pair of individual 72-shore Lyres with your DPA actives in an SRS stereo mount. That is exactly what I use all the time, and the 72-shore lyres isolate the whole thing perfectly. I also own two pairs of 62-shore Lyres, but trust me when I tell you that they are very compliant - far too much so for a stereo setup of 5 ounces 141 g. Your rig is going to flopping all around on you like some sort of audio Muppet. I use a pair of the 62 lyres each when mounting my CM3s individually, but never as a pair in a stereo bar / clip.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline audBall

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 09:48:03 PM »
It's a little unclear to me why Option 1 is totally out of the question. I own the On-Camera mount (thanks to your suggestion) as well as the Rycote INV-7 (with 72-shore lyres) and I actually prefer the relatively-increased stiffness of the former for my active stereo setups. I find the INV-7 to be a bit wobbly with wider setups, but totally sufficient for most general stereo setups.

Maybe time will convince me otherwise as you've definitely put more legwork into this, which I, and many others here, appreciate greatly.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 03:04:44 PM »
OK, a few things:

1. Now that we know this is a pair of actives, any sort of Duo-Lyre is totally out of the question. Even the lightest 68-shore version is going to be far too stiff, and that includes that InVision On-Camera mount which is the same exact stiffness in a non-modular format.

2. It seems DPA actives are close in mass to a Line Audio CM3. Line Audio doesn't specify it, but I just put one of mine on my coffee scale and it is 30.5g.

3. Given all of my Lyre trial-and-error with my CM3s, I can say with total confidence that what you want here is a pair of individual 72-shore Lyres with your DPA actives in an SRS stereo mount. That is exactly what I use all the time, and the 72-shore lyres isolate the whole thing perfectly. I also own two pairs of 62-shore Lyres, but trust me when I tell you that they are very compliant - far too much so for a stereo setup of 5 ounces 141 g. Your rig is going to flopping all around on you like some sort of audio Muppet. I use a pair of the 62 lyres each when mounting my CM3s individually, but never as a pair in a stereo bar / clip.

Voltronic, thanks for all the info. Looks like I am going with 72 shore lyres and hopefully your confidence will pay off in the end!
Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

Online voltronic

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
It's a little unclear to me why Option 1 is totally out of the question. I own the On-Camera mount (thanks to your suggestion) as well as the Rycote INV-7 (with 72-shore lyres) and I actually prefer the relatively-increased stiffness of the former for my active stereo setups. I find the INV-7 to be a bit wobbly with wider setups, but totally sufficient for most general stereo setups.

Maybe time will convince me otherwise as you've definitely put more legwork into this, which I, and many others here, appreciate greatly.

I guess it depends on how vibration-sensitive your DPAs are. Line Audio CM3s are notoriously sensitive to structural vibration. The 68-shore Duo-Lyre completely failed the stand-tap test for me with a pair of CM3s in a SRS mount, as did a single CM3 in a pair of 72-shore Lyres (what comes stock on the INV-7). While I totally understand that you find the INV-7 a bit wobbly, that probably also means it is isolating more, whereas the increased stiffness of the On-Camera (aka Duo-Lyre 68) may be conducting more structural vibrations to your mics. Nothing is for free.

The only way to find out is to test it. Set up your rig, put on a pair of headphones, and tap your stand at various points. Use the On-Camera first, then the INV-7. (Side note: be careful to strain-relief your cable from the mics several inches below the mount. Don't use the clips built into the shockmount.) If the INV-7 is no better, then use the On-Camera.

One situation where you may want to sacrifice mechanical isolation in favor of greater stiffness is outdoors in the wind.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline audBall

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
All well understood the points related to vibration sensitivity and the 'cost' that comes with increased stiffness. I did similar tests you describe when I first purchased the INV-7 compared to other mounts I had at the time. I'll try to compare the two directly and see if I can more refine the cost-benefit of which mount for my situations. Thanks as always.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Hey gang, is the “red” Lyre mount more compliant/stiffer can hold heavy mic’s/cables then a grey Lyre?

Online voltronic

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »
Hey gang, is the “red” Lyre mount more compliant/stiffer can hold heavy mic’s/cables then a grey Lyre?

I believe the red lyres are just for the Rode-branded mounts. They should be the same compliance as the standard 72-shore Lyres. EDIT: I actually have no idea if this is true. Those Lyres could be a custom-made compliance for specific Rode mics.

What mount specifically are you looking at?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:25:56 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

I believe the red lyres are just for the Rode-branded mounts. They should be the same compliance as the standard 72-shore Lyres. What mount specifically are you looking at?

Gotcha - check PM’s, please.

I think I need to move to Duo-Lyre set up vs a single pair of Lyre’s.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:47:17 PM by OhioHead »

Online voltronic

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »

I believe the red lyres are just for the Rode-branded mounts. They should be the same compliance as the standard 72-shore Lyres. What mount specifically are you looking at?

Gotcha - check PM’s, please.

I think I need to move to Duo-Lyre set up vs a single pair of Lyre’s.

Responded.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »
Thank you Volt, I found a stiffer Lyre via Gotham Sound.

The new mount arrived yesterday, took a few moments to remove the old Lyre and install the new one, set everything up & problem solved.

In speaking w/ Gotham, Rycote is having significant production issues so call Gotham, B & H, etc. before ordering Rycote online.

Online voltronic

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 04:58:57 PM »
Thank you Volt, I found a stiffer Lyre via Gotham Sound.

The new mount arrived yesterday, took a few moments to remove the old Lyre and install the new one, set everything up & problem solved.

In speaking w/ Gotham, Rycote is having significant production issues so call Gotham, B & H, etc. before ordering Rycote online.

Glad you found something that worked.

Thanks for the heads up on the production delays. I suppose they are hitting everyone at some level.

Just FYI to all: I have always found Adorama to have many more Rycote products in stock than the other big A/V dealers, who often special order from the distributor. This is especially true for the separate Lyres.
https://www.adorama.com/l/Audio/Microphones-and-Accessories/Microphone-Accessories/Rycote~Microphone-Boom-Poles
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 10:10:34 AM »
Great to know about the Adroma site, I was not aware until this thread.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com