Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LS-10 Firmware Update v1.10  (Read 6640 times)

Offline RetroDude83

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
LS-10 Firmware Update v1.10
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:03:17 PM »
Not sure when they put up the new firmware but here we go, the new features are:

LS-10 Firmware Update Version 1.10
# Record exceeding 2GB
# 88.2k Hz/16bit and 88.2k Hz/24bit are added to the recording mode of the linear PCM.

I'm especially happy about not having to stop my recording before it exceeds the 2GB range anymore. Not sure why I would want the additional recording modes though ;)

GET UPDATE HERE AT OLYMPUS

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: LS-10 Firmware Update v1.10
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »
I think it's been available for a few months now - I updated mine ages ago.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »
# Record exceeding 2GB

Does this feature actually seamlessly switch to a new file after 2 gigs?
-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline RetroDude83

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
# Record exceeding 2GB

Does this feature actually seamlessly switch to a new file after 2 gigs?
-colargol

absolutely! I've tried it yesterday after installing the firmware, it joins the shit perfectly, no gap or something. Just press the rec button when recording at 24bit/96kHz and dont worry about it (just make sure to have enuff memory)...

Offline penguin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
Wasn't there an earlier update to the LS-10 that enabled the unit to accept 16GB SDHC cards?? Can anyone verify if such an update existed?? If so, have you been able to use 16GB cards without any issues?? I am just curious because the Olympus website still says that the maximum SDHC card size for the LS-10 is 8GB. Thanks.

Offline RetroDude83

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »
Wasn't there an earlier update to the LS-10 that enabled the unit to accept 16GB SDHC cards?? Can anyone verify if such an update existed?? If so, have you been able to use 16GB cards without any issues?? I am just curious because the Olympus website still says that the maximum SDHC card size for the LS-10 is 8GB. Thanks.

yes there was an earlier update. It'd fix some minor issues and make the unit accept 16gb SDHC cards. however I can't verify whether it works or not, as 16gb is way too much for me, but it is supposed to work. the stuff fixed with the second update worked for me as well, so I reckon it will hold 16gb cards if the first update is installed.

Offline penguin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »

yes there was an earlier update. It'd fix some minor issues and make the unit accept 16gb SDHC cards. however I can't verify whether it works or not, as 16gb is way too much for me, but it is supposed to work. the stuff fixed with the second update worked for me as well, so I reckon it will hold 16gb cards if the first update is installed.

OK. Another stupid question. Do I need the older update 1.04 to do the 16GB card thing and then do the 1.10 update separately to do 2GB file thing?? Or does the 1.10 update include the 1.04 update and do everything in one fell swoop?? Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
I'm sure that 1.10 includes the 16 GB fix - otherwise they would have to have the earlier firmware available for download, and I don't see that anywhere on their site.

I don't have any 16 GB cards to try with it, though.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline penguin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »
I can confirm that the 1.10 firmware does the following:

*Works with 16GB SHDC cards (I am using Sandisk)
*Seamlessly creates another file after 2GB

So the 1.10 firmware indeed encompasses all the previous firmware updates. My LS-10 had the 1.10 firmware already factory installed, so I don't know why they still have the 8GB card size limit on the Olympus website.

Here are some personal random thoughts after a couple of tests using the internal mics:

*Very easy to set up and use. Easy to navigate menus and information screen.
*Pretty long alkaline battery life, very long lithium battery life.
*Internal mics are sensitive to wind noise, even with the foam windscreens provided. Low cut function helps reduce the wind noise thumps, but I can still hear them on playback. I want to try a third party tribble next time and see if that reduces the wind noise any better.
*Very well built. The metal casing and weight give it a very solid feel.
*Although there are moving parts, I do like the fact that the recording media is solid state.

I am impressed enough by the LS-10 that I am thinking of buying a second one along with two mic stand adaptors and perhaps two tribbles for outdoor use. What I really like is the ease of setup/use factor. Since I am playing bass and keyboards in the band, having to also shlep and setup a recording rig with tons of mics and cables is very time consuming and tiring. With these I can carry them and all the accessories in my bass case, pop them onto a mic stand and push the button and forget it (after setting levels of course) and thus be able to fully concentrate on playing. Surely a multitrack rig would be more ideal, but for what my goals are I think the LS-10 will be quite sufficient.

I think I will be selling my two R-44's in the near future.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
*Internal mics are sensitive to wind noise, even with the foam windscreens provided. Low cut function helps reduce the wind noise thumps, but I can still hear them on playback.

The Rycote mini windjammer kit works perfectly for the LS-10.  Rycote part number is 055368 and they fit over the supplied clip-on foam windshields (which I lost for mine - so will have to get a replacement set).

I want to try a third party tribble next time and see if that reduces the wind noise any better.

Tribble?  - showing your age here.  ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »
With now having 88.2k feature, the 1.10 firmware update makes the LS-10 one of the more appropriate choices for external-preamp line input operation without internal mic input 100 cycle low frequency bandwidth reduction.

Performance of line input verses mic at reference -35db input gain is shown clearly with spectrum graphs in my tech review at: www.sonicstudios.com/ls10revw.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Teppka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 02:14:50 PM »
Does anyone happen to have Update v1.10 firmware file or any version for that matter for Olympus for Windows or Mac?

Thanks.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 08:29:19 PM »

Offline Teppka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 12:24:15 AM »
Here's the 1.20

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=869685#p869685

Thanks. It’s the topic I started, you will notice at the end of that thread that v1.20 update file didn’t work for me.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 12:21:56 PM »
I have an early LS-10 that came with v1.04, and while I would be interested in the upgrade, it's looking like it's a no-go from these threads. I can't even see any instructions to upgrade the firmware, let alone get something that works on a Mac from the past 10 years.

I just use the LS-10 like I always have and it's fine for that. I have a MixPre for serious work.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com