Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M2 External Battery  (Read 3759 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Sonosax SX-M2 External Battery
« on: August 28, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

Couple of questions before I run this for the first time.  I plan to use internal batteries for the first show or two and try an external battery once I figure out which external to use.

1.  What external battery would you recommend for powering this pre for 3-4 hours, 5-8 hours? 

2.  Based on the low battery, blinking light indicator mentioned in the user manual ( If the "ON" led flashes normally (every 3 seconds), the external voltage is between 14 to 24 Volts. If it flashes every second, the external voltage is below 14 Volts), which external battery that outputs between 14-24 volts would you recommend?

3.  Did Sonosax ever provide any guidance on their product for the external battery connector?  If they didn't provide any recommendations for this plug I truly have to wonder why they didn't.

Sonosax SX-M2 / 12-24v / Size M, 5.50mm OD × 2.10mm ID / Center pin (+)  Ring (-) / No perfect Plug is Known, needs to be gaff taped in place

EXTERNAL POWER

The SONOSAX SX-M2 can also be powered from an external DC source, from 12
to 24 Volts, via the "DC IN" connector.(Battery powering is automatically disabled
once an external DC source is used.) Once the external power supply is connected,
the SX-M2 may then be operated as when powered by batteries or accumulators. If
the "ON" led flashes normally (every 3 seconds), the external voltage is between 14
to 24 Volts. If it flashes every second, the external voltage is below 14 Volts.
Polarity : + = center, - = outside collar

Thanks,

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Sonosax SX-M2 External Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
If it flashes every second, the external voltage is below 14 Volts), which external battery that outputs between 14-24 volts would you recommend?
This looks like about the same specs as the similarly sized Beyer MV100.
I never ran my mv100 off external, but would think that a 24 volt setup would power it best and for longest, and not make the low battery indicator useless.
Higher rail voltage should theoretically give better quality signal in terms of lower signal:noise ratio.
I know the Beyer would "collapse" the lower half of the waveform when the batteries got low. Didn't sound bad, but sure doesn't look right in the DAW software!!
for reference, here is the manual for the Beyer pre-amp:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=103430.msg1379146#msg1379146
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
Old school Tekkeon at 19v with Tekkeon cable (C tip, +polarity) works great IMO… no tape required (but always recommended!).
Will run at 14v too just fine… might be lower headroom but not sure.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:36:54 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »
If it flashes every second, the external voltage is below 14 Volts), which external battery that outputs between 14-24 volts would you recommend?
This looks like about the same specs as the similarly sized Beyer MV100.
I never ran my mv100 off external, but would think that a 24 volt setup would power it best and for longest, and not make the low battery indicator useless.
Higher rail voltage should theoretically give better quality signal in terms of lower signal:noise ratio.
I know the Beyer would "collapse" the lower half of the waveform when the batteries got low. Didn't sound bad, but sure doesn't look right in the DAW software!!
for reference, here is the manual for the Beyer pre-amp:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=103430.msg1379146#msg1379146

Thanks morst!  I definitely do NOT want any battery issues if I'm using this pre, my "taping trips out" are pretty limited now and I don't want "low batteries" to scuttle my efforts.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »
Old school Tekkeon at 19v with Tekkeon cable (C tip, +polarity) works great IMO… no tape required (but always recommended!).
Will run at 14v too just fine… might be lower headroom but not sure.

I have a few Tekkeons lying around somewhere, I need to search them out and see if they're still functional.  Thanks for the info yug du nord!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com