Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iphone 12/13 in low-light concerts  (Read 8868 times)

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
iphone 12/13 in low-light concerts
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:30:56 AM »
I'm thinking about making the switch from mirrorless to the Iphone 13 Pro camera for filming classical music concerts, recitals, etc.  I'll be able to bring/use some of my own lighting.  A main concern is that lighting still isn't great... Iphones in general can get very noisy in low light, esp. on faces in my experience, but I haven't yet tried the 11/12/13. Can anyone with a 12 pro comment? Any thoughts about whether the hype around the 13 pro will play out for this application?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: iphone 12/13 in low-light concerts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:11:53 PM »
Real camera > Phone camera

Always.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »

Always.

& real recorder > phone
& external mics > Internal mics
& FOB > Taper Section
& HATS > better than Denied
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:47:45 PM »
Can't speak for the iPhone, but the Pixel phones do a great job in low light. Not as good as my mirrorless camera, but it does the job when you can't (or don't want to) bring a real camera to the show.

I'd be curious to hear about the iPhone 13 Pro though. I'm considering picking one of those or the Pixel 6 up if either is a noticable improvement over my current Pixel 4a.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
I would like to mention that the app you use to shoot video with an iPhone can make a big difference in the quality of your videos.  Frankly speaking, most of the time, the iPhone's native app for shooting video does not handle concert lighting very well.  I did a little research and decided on the FilMic app.  Not sure how much it costs now, but I think it was $15 when I bought it 3-4 years ago.  I've shot some nice live 4K footage with this app.  There are likely other iPhone video taping apps out there worth trying out; but I am so happy with the results I get with the FilMic app, I don't even bother looking at other apps.  This is mostly based on my experiences shooting video with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.  I just got a 13 Pro Max (w/ 1TB storage capacity) yesterday, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet (working on a tape I pulled last night).  I will report back about the change over to the 13 Pro Max after I've had a chance to use it a few times.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:07:39 PM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »

Always.

disagree. iPhones are becoming cameras with phones built in.

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 05:13:26 AM »

Always.

disagree. iPhones are becoming cameras with phones built in.

+1. The "phone" aspect of the iPhone is just the tip of the iceberg. Like you said, they are leaning a LOT more towards be a camera with a phone instead of a phone with a camera.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 10:05:46 PM »
Circling back to answer my own question.

I ended up buying the new Sony ZV-E10 mirrorless, which is basically a more compact a6400 (so really small) with some slightly updated color processing, plus some better I/O that I've been using for livestreaming and also Zoom music practice.

The photo and video quality are a large and obvious step up from my Iphone X Max, both in low light and in bright light. I haven't even tried shooting/filming in raw yet---the difference is big with JPEG photos and default video (no LUT or anything). Haven't gotten to compare it to an Iphone 13 pro yet, but I love the thing so far.

It has builtin stereo mics, which the reviewers loved, but which in reality suck (harsh/cheap sounding) compared to the iphone X Max's builtin mics. But, they've been great to get a 'reference track' so I can waveform match a separate recording taken with real mics to the videos I take with the ZV-E10.
waves -> bits

Offline FOB_Taper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 05:37:51 PM »
iPhone 13 Max > Beastcam 1.55 Anamorphic lens > BeastCam app > 4K60fps 10bit ProRes !!!

https://beastgrip.com/pages/beastcam

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 02:40:23 PM »
iPhone 13 Max > Beastcam 1.55 Anamorphic lens > BeastCam app > 4K60fps 10bit ProRes !!!

https://beastgrip.com/pages/beastcam

I've been using the Filmic Pro app for a few years and generally, I really like it.  I think I paid $13.99 for it.  The BeastCam app looks impressive in the demonstration videos and it's surprisingly cheap (I think I read it's $4.95).  And I'd really love to get one of those lenses (either the 1.55 anamorphic, the 2X, or both).  The only things is ... I can picture security at some venues being uptight about a lens - even if it's clearly for the iPhone, and not a real camera. 
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com