Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 questions  (Read 9632 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: V3 questions
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
Got a few questions about powering the V3 I recently got on YS.

Is there a way for me to figure out if my V3 is 6V or 12V? Or can I run it under either, so long as there is enough current? I was under the impression I might need to swap a jumper on the power board to switch between 6/12V, but the comments in this thread and the fact I didn’t see a labeled jumper when I popped the lid off have me questioning that.

Congrats, it's a great preamp. 

There are 2 labeled jumpers on the board (see manual linked above). I'm not sure they do anything other than perhaps adjust the V3's built-in in battery metering, but I'm only speculating so don't take that as gospel. The manual does warn against changing them without contacting the factory first, so maybe more to it.  The V3's built-in metering was intended for old-school SLA battery systems and is no longer needed with modern batteries like the Talentcell that have their own metering built-in, and different chemistry and discharge characteristics.  Best to just forget the V3 battery meter is even there.

Main thing to know about is a detail about the power input.  The center split-pin of the power cable will at some point become slightly loose in its contact socket.  When that occurs, screwing down the connector more firmly actually aggravates the power-intermittency problem rather than helping to eliminate it, because doing so centers the center pin more perfectly in its loose contact socket.  The fix is to gently spread the split pin a bit to achieve good contact again.  It will then, in my experience, work fine for many years.  If that were to ever occur in the field while recording where you need to remedy it ASAP, loosen the connector slightly and gaff tape the cable so that it pulls to one side slightly instead of being perfectly centered and the preamp should run fine the remainder of the night.

another thing to keep in mind is feeding it 12v will get it nice and hot so dont freak out but good to keep in mind if you close your bag etc
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »
^ I seem to recall the same when running at the 6v setting with a 9v battery, releasing excess power as heat.

Makes for a good lumbar heat treatment on the drive home.  ;)
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the replies here. Ran the v3 successfully off a 12V Talentcell battery. I ran the v3 and mixpre6 stacked on the floor next to my bag, and everything stayed cool to the touch. Normally my mixpre-6 gets extremely warm in the bag, so I think having some air flow helped keep my gear cool.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
I love the V3. So glad to see there is still some current conversation about this almost 20 yr old pre/AD.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2021, 12:56:40 PM »
I love the V3. So glad to see there is still some current conversation about this almost 20 yr old pre/AD.
I was setting up at a show and the FOH guy was being a teacher to an apprentice guy from the local community college studying "sound engineering". FOH guy sees the Grace pre-amp, point it out, and says to the apprentice, "these taper guys carry the very best sounding gear and that pre-amp is one of the finest portables ever made".    8)
He also took time to explain what the difference is between the typical stage SM57/58 dynamic  mics and the condensor mics I was using. (AKG 460 based)
Good FOH guy.

Wumbo- The V3 seems to get very hot in an enclosed bag running at 12V. kindms also has put the battery out of the bag on the ground on very few occasions.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 06:39:00 PM »
Ran the V3 all weekend at a festival, somehow ended up with a little rock inside of the V3.  Took it apart and cleaned it out.  Been using my V3 since 2004. 
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2022, 08:00:06 PM »
A spontaneous conception after years of rollin'!
Rock on!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »

Main thing to know about is a detail about the power input.  The center split-pin of the power cable will at some point become slightly loose in its contact socket.  When that occurs, screwing down the connector more firmly actually aggravates the power-intermittency problem rather than helping to eliminate it, because doing so centers the center pin more perfectly in its loose contact socket.  The fix is to gently spread the split pin a bit to achieve good contact again.  It will then, in my experience, work fine for many years.  If that were to ever occur in the field while recording where you need to remedy it ASAP, loosen the connector slightly and gaff tape the cable so that it pulls to one side slightly instead of being perfectly centered and the preamp should run fine the remainder of the night.

An option that I learned about here to deal with that is to place a small piece of rubber in the split of the pin (a small snip of a rubber band, or heat shrink) which helps maintain contact.   Once I did that and kept the power cord attached, never had a problem.
retired

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »
20 years isn't old for well-designed, well-made equipment. I'm still very fond of my V3. The ultra-low distortion, the low-cut options, the high input impedance and input headroom, the predictable and repeatable gain settings, the metering--all are just about perfect for me / the type of recording that I do / the mikes that I use.

A few years back I bought a Sound Devices MixPre-D to replace it--smaller and of more recent design--but I just couldn't "feel" it, and I never used it. Plus if I recall correctly, it had a somewhat awkwardly large amount of gain in its input stage and might sometimes have needed external pads at the inputs. That's sad when the first thing after those pads is a pair of built-in step-up transformers! It just gave me a less than ideal feeling, whereas the V3 gives me no bad feelings of any kind.

That said, for purely analog situations I have a Sound Devices MP-2 that also gives me no bad feelings of any kind, and I appreciate that it's so small and can run on internal batteries for hours. It's just for a different application, is all.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 10:41:05 PM »
 The "feel" of electronics.
I know exactly what you mean.
Logarithmic vs. linear controls, and different gradients, taboot !
The physical, tactile feel of smoothness, resistance, and glide that represents quality and engineering of detail.

But most of all, and this lives in the land of M.A.SH. Army surplus radio...
There is nothing that models a vintage radio weighted (as in flywheel) tuning knob
Collins, National, Hammerlund, ...those old girls had serious knob feel !
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com