Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shapeways mount... Connect to stand  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Shapeways mount... Connect to stand
« on: February 21, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering what folks out here with a shapeways capsule mount use for a secure and adjustable connection to a stand?

Any suggestions helpful, thank you :)

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Shapeways mount... Connect to stand
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 07:36:47 PM »
From the bottom of the SRS recording page, easy to miss down there. I use A53M's

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless otherwise indicated, the mounts you see in this shop are designed to be used with a 20mm shock mount such as the Shure A53M, or a conventional 20mm microphone clip. Newer mounts are being designed to accommodate the Rycote INV-6 and INV-7 Lyre suspensions.

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 08:32:04 PM »
Or an A55M will work with a little gaffer tape around the bar.  Not that I measured wrong or anything.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 10:30:37 PM »
Scott seems to be mainly designing around Rycote Lyre mounts these days as Bluesky mentions.

It's important to get the right compliance for the combined mass you are isolating (mics+bar). If you need help selecting the right Lyres for the job, I can help.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:37:02 PM »
Thanks to all for the information that I was looking for.

Appreciate it :)

Offline unclehoolio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 07:24:18 PM »
Scott seems to be mainly designing around Rycote Lyre mounts these days as Bluesky mentions.

It's important to get the right compliance for the combined mass you are isolating (mics+bar). If you need help selecting the right Lyres for the job, I can help.

Hey Voltronic, I'll take you up on the offer!

I just bought the INV-7HGmkIII with the stock duo 68 lyres.  I'm using 480's

I intend to use it to support the following shapeways mounts:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8W4WC82WZ/din-dina-schoeps-cmc6?optionId=170024765&li=shops
(though I will need Scott to modify the design to account for the slightly larger diameter akg's)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L2SSKAEXM/din-c460b-v3?optionId=70859017&li=shops
In this setup, Rycote is positioned vertically (as opposed to the first mount, which has the Rycote positioned horizontally).

Given this intended use, should I upgrade from the to the duo 72 lyres?  Or, with the 1st mount (quad 480's), is that simply too much weight for the INV-7HGmkIII, even horizontally with the 72 lyres?  Thanks in advance!

mics:  AKG c480b (x6) + ck61, ck62, & ck63
pre:  2 x Oade m148
recorder:  Zoom F8n Pro; Tascam HD-P2 (with Oade High Definition mod)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 06:38:58 PM »

Hey Voltronic, I'll take you up on the offer!

I just bought the INV-7HGmkIII with the stock duo 68 lyres.  I'm using 480's

I intend to use it to support the following shapeways mounts:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8W4WC82WZ/din-dina-schoeps-cmc6?optionId=170024765&li=shops
(though I will need Scott to modify the design to account for the slightly larger diameter akg's)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L2SSKAEXM/din-c460b-v3?optionId=70859017&li=shops
In this setup, Rycote is positioned vertically (as opposed to the first mount, which has the Rycote positioned horizontally).

Given this intended use, should I upgrade from the to the duo 72 lyres?  Or, with the 1st mount (quad 480's), is that simply too much weight for the INV-7HGmkIII, even horizontally with the 72 lyres?  Thanks in advance!

I would need to know what a single 480 weighs to give a fully informed answer. It's not in AKG's published specs and I've never held them in my hands.

The Duo-Lyre with the 68-shore Lyres is quite stiff. I can tell you it's too stiff to effectively damp a DPA mic with the full-size A body, except for the 4006 omni. Those mics weight about 160 g each. I would only use a Duo-Lyre 68 on a pair of directional DPAs.

I would guess that your AKGs weigh quite a bit less than the heavy DPAs. I would guess they are closer to Schoeps CMC6, which are about 75 g with capsules. If that's the case, the Duo-Lyre 68 might work for the quad-mount.

The vertical mount would be more prone to sagging, but with just one pair I don't think it would be an issue, unless your AKGs weigh more than I'm guessing. In fact, it might be too stiff to effectively isolate if your mics are close to my estimation, in which case you'd want to swap out for a pair of 72-shore single Lyres.

Some light reading for context:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=180990.msg2217624
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 08:03:58 PM »
thanks for the link to the additional thread--lots of good info in there.  AKG 480's weigh 117g each.  So total weight for the quad mount is 117 x 4 = 468g, plus weight of the mount (unknown).  Considering how close the capsules are on this mount, pretty much the only windscreens I could use would be the stock AKG's W32's (or something similar), which weigh basically nothing.  So, maybe the duo 72 lyres here?  Or would this setup ultimately be too heavy, even for the duo 72's?

And for the DIN bar, positioned vertically, the total weight is 234g for the mics plus weight of the mount (unknown).  Bulkier/heavier windscreens could be an option here, but I use the Shure A81WS which are 17g each, and not something substantially heavier (e.g. Rycote 5cm SuperSoftie, 65g).

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 08:25:07 PM »
thanks for the link to the additional thread--lots of good info in there.  AKG 480's weigh 117g each.  So total weight for the quad mount is 117 x 4 = 468g, plus weight of the mount (unknown).  Considering how close the capsules are on this mount, pretty much the only windscreens I could use would be the stock AKG's W32's (or something similar), which weigh basically nothing.  So, maybe the duo 72 lyres here?  Or would this setup ultimately be too heavy, even for the duo 72's?

And for the DIN bar, positioned vertically, the total weight is 234g for the mics plus weight of the mount (unknown).  Bulkier/heavier windscreens could be an option here, but I use the Shure A81WS which are 17g each, and not something substantially heavier (e.g. Rycote 5cm SuperSoftie, 65g).

I think the Duo Lyre 68 will still be fine for the DIN mount, but you might need the 72 for the quad setup. I would still try the 68 first.

BTW, the SRS mounts are extremely light, but very strong nylon. Their weight is a non-factor here.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 06:53:44 PM »
I'm excited to order some SRS mounts, but Scott hasn't yet responded to my messages.   ??? :(

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 07:07:10 PM »
I'm excited to order some SRS mounts, but Scott hasn't yet responded to my messages.   ??? :(

have you signed up to the forum?
Scott usually replies very fast to messages I've posted there unless it's the weekend

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
which specific TS forum are you referring to?  I've PM'd him via this platform, sent a message via Shapeways, and emailed directly.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 09:58:53 PM »
which specific TS forum are you referring to?  I've PM'd him via this platform, sent a message via Shapeways, and emailed directly.

That's quite surprising - I have always found him to be extremely prompt whenever I have emailed him with a request. Maybe he's away?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com