Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shockmount options for Neumann U89's?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Shockmount options for Neumann U89's?
« on: December 21, 2021, 02:37:13 AM »
After what I just spent on a pair of U89's, I'm trying not to spend the $349ea Neumann wants for their shock mounts, what y'all using?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 03:00:29 AM by mountaintaper »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Shockmount options for Neumann U89's?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 06:18:40 AM »
If I just dropped that much bank on a pair of "German Submarines",  I'd use their high quality German shock mounts and avoid screen dents.
Dented screens will drop a mic's value by at least 1/3 in my experience
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 09:49:48 AM »
I would go with one of the Rycote options.  I'm not sure if this one fits the bill, but something similar if this one wouldn't work.

This mount is adjustable and has a locking collar so that you can run your mics in a "vertical" orientation.  I have a similar mount for my Gefell UM70's and it works great and provides shock protection.

https://vintageking.com/rycote-invision-studio-usm-shock-mount?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9E4toq0wi4fzn56d5zwWhdr91krSqrBGakqd0exkvK7ptI7_15l2pMaAtS_EALw_wcB

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:29:18 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
After what I just spent on a pair of U89's, I'm trying not to spend the $349ea Neumann wants for their shock mounts, what y'all using?

I'd check with waltmon to see what he's using for his U89s.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 04:39:21 PM »
Rycote!
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
They are internally shockmounted....the cages are so huge to drag around, I use the low profile mounts
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 06:01:19 AM »
Rycotes here. The internal rubber mounts are better than nothing but really not that effective. The Rycotes are smaller, more robust and more effective than the Neumann mounts. They're also adjustable to take different mics.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:29:25 AM »
(as a former U 89 owner, endorsing what 0vu said) Try listening over headphones and tapping on the body of the mike to get an idea of this. All that a manufacturer can do is put the capsule on the end of a somewhat flexible "stalk" inside the capsule head. Its material has to last for decades without deteriorating or stiffening. And the stalk has to be short unless you make the capsule head extra large. So the total benefit that can be had is rather minimal--a few dB of isolation at best.

When Neumann introduced the U 89 their idea was to create a more versatile successor to the U 87, including its being smaller and lighter. I don't know whether you've ever seen the actual capsule of a U 89 but it's oddly about twice as deep as any of Neumann's other capsules. If the microphone is dropped or struck, the capsule can smash against the screen, distorting its surround and ruining the tension setting and the distance to the backplate. One of my U 89s had visible waves (regularly spaced wrinkles) in one of its membranes when I bought it on eBay, which is a symptom of this type of accident. Unlike most other manufacturers, Neumann doesn't repair capsules, so the only remedy is to replace the capsule.

Thus there's a narrow limit to how soft an internal suspension can be. And if the body of the microphone is vibrating for whatever reason, the capsule picks up those vibrations acoustically anyway. (Imagine being trapped in a bell tower--one of my favorite older mystery novels has that as the method of murdering someone.) All in all, "internal shock mounting" can never substitute for a shock mount that isolates the entire microphone and some length of the cable attached to it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:08:42 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com