Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best place for an XY at band practice  (Read 1569 times)

Offline lastnightsverse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best place for an XY at band practice
« on: January 10, 2022, 01:56:30 AM »
hoping to tape a new jazz quartet i am playing in, to be able to listen back to rehearsals

we practice in a box setup, guitar-bass-drums-keys. guitar bass and keys are all amped. best position for an xy in an attic? it'll be AKG P170s.

thanks!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: best place for an XY at band practice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:53:17 AM »
Going on what you described, I would run them waist high, farthest from the drum position. probably between the keys and guitar.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
I'd setup based around the drums primarily, say 3-4 feet or so in front, slightly over to the snare side of the kick (keeping a direct line of sight from mics to snare and the kick slightly off-axis), and move the amps around that to wherever they work best.  Try the mics down low, just a few inches off the floor.  That eliminates the floor reflection, which can help with acoustics in a small room, and also achieves a clearer transmission from the amps sitting on the floor and projecting across it, which may allow you to place the amps further away than you otherwise would be able to while retaining proper a good balance with the drums.  Once you figure out good angular locations for the amps in relation to the drum kit and mics, balance further by moving the the amps further forward or back, and by rotating them to point directly toward the mics or more off axis.  Some amplified stuff might work best and with the amp rotated 90 degrees to the mics, illuminating the room rather than pointing directly at the mics and achieving some contrast with the more direct sound.

Start with that clear line to the snare, and work everything else around that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
Recording rehearsals in a square/circle is tough, but I tend to agree with this if your only option is 2ch and you can't move instruments/amps around a bit.

Going on what you described, I would run them waist high, farthest from the drum position. probably between the keys and guitar.

Years ago I was in a band that rehearsed in that config, but we put the amps all along one wall behind the drums and just stood opposite. Worked pretty well both in the room and for reference tapes.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 02:33:06 PM »
Years ago I was in a band that rehearsed in that config, but we put the amps all along one wall behind the drums and just stood opposite. Worked pretty well both in the room and for reference tapes.

That's a good, straightforward way to arrange it in a tight room.  There too, if the amps are on the floor, try the stereo mic pair at floor level as well, which will pull more direct clarity in proportion to the reflected sound in an over-small room.  Waist height can work of course, but places the mics in a position where early reflections off all six room surfaces are maximized, plus there tends to be more obstructions between sound sources and mics, such as musician's bodies, keyboards, and other instruments.  Down low the mics will be within the acoustic boundary layer of the floor, plus there tends to be clearer paths with only ankles and stands between the sources and mics for the most part.  If relatively quiet unamplified acoustic instruments or acoustic vocals were included, you'd likely need to setup a single mic pair higher, with those instruments positioned much closer to it than the drums and amps.  But with everything but the drums amped that's not necessary and proximity to the floor can be a big help in my experience.  Definitely worth giving it a try.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »
off the top of my head I'd say up high and as far away from the drums as possible without hugging a wall or ceiling
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lastnightsverse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »

makes sense to me. drummer really likes to shred, hah.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 03:33:55 PM »
As close to the bass as possible.

Yes I play bass, why do you ask?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com