Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-05X sound interference?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
TASCAM DR-05X sound interference?
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:44:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at getting a new model recorder and the TASCAM DR-05X looks like the recorder model that fits for my needs. However, what is with this issue I have been finding around the internet about this device recording some kind of unwanted radio / sound interference - almost like a walkie talkie or cellphone coming in and disrupting the recording? I have been doing some searches for info on this recorder with this problem on taperssection (because I find this place more informative about these things and gear in general), but I did not come up with any discussion/thread. Maybe I missed one?

Here is a video of what I am talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b7wUbR6fI4

I have also ran across other complaints in reviews like this one
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63447153

One thing I want to say is one of the biggest problems I have with these complaints is they don't mention the firmware they used nor if they updated it and still had it. I am guessing it could be a simple fix like that...? One user claims it is so cheaply built and found his own "solution" by going in, taking it apart, and modifying it. I don't think that's the best choice... However, I don't know! Can someone here with experience with this device give me some insight on this if it is common despite firmware updates?

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: TASCAM DR-05X sound interference?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 04:05:34 PM »
Yes. This recorder, and many others, are susceptible to interference from cell phone radios. In the DR-05x, it is a hardware issue, and therefore not related to any firmware revisions. I own five of these little units, and they work very well for my applications. I find the issue only shows itself when a phone (in my case an iPhone) gets within about 1.5-2 feet of the recorder when using the internal mics. With external sources, the problem may disappear entirely (with gain set low for line inputs), or vary depending on the quality of the cabling and external devices. I have other recorders, including my Sony PCM-D100 that can pick up the same interference, so we need to keep this in perspective. One cannot expect full RF filtration on a $100US recorder. This is part of why the likes of Sound Devices machines cost so much. In any case, the interference drops off geometrically with distance, so simply moving the devices apart a bit more (or using airplane mode) can quickly diminish the problem.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: TASCAM DR-05X sound interference?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »
I have never had the issue with my DR-2D.  Older unit but used ones pop up all the time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com