Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Matrixing questions

(1/6) > >>

Twenty8:
6 channel matrix: cards, subcards, and soundboard (channels 1-6 into MixPre 6ii)

1.  What do some of you value highest in the mix?  I am leaning 55% sbd and 45% mics (35% cards/10% subcards therein).  I have seen other posts a while back talking about leaning more on mics over sbd (the opposite of how I have this mix so far).  Thoughts?  Reasoning?

2.  Trying to solve the time delay issue in Reaper.  When I think I have this sucker all lined up, I feel like I have the soundboard ~0:00.38 seconds behind the mics from when I hit record on the MixPre6ii.  Is this roughly what you have seen: board is slightly delayed due to distance parameters?

heathen:

--- Quote from: Twenty8 on February 22, 2023, 11:02:36 PM ---6 channel matrix: cards, subcards, and soundboard (channels 1-6 into MixPre 6ii)

1.  What do some of you value highest in the mix?  I am leaning 55% sbd and 45% mics (35% cards/10% subcards therein).  I have seen other posts a while back talking about leaning more on mics over sbd (the opposite of how I have this mix so far).  Thoughts?  Reasoning?
--- End quote ---

Too many variables to give a concrete answer.  Personally I'd start with the mics mix and then bring up the sbd until I reached an overall mix I like.  Maybe that's 30% sbd, maybe it's 70% sbd...no way to know in advance, and it's better to NOT have numbers in mind because that could influence a decision that should be made solely by your ears.  Also you may want to EQ the mics and sbd to complement each other...again that will involve too many variables to make hard-and-fast rules.

--- Quote ---2.  Trying to solve the time delay issue in Reaper.  When I think I have this sucker all lined up, I feel like I have the soundboard ~0:00.38 seconds behind the mics from when I hit record on the MixPre6ii.  Is this roughly what you have seen: board is slightly delayed due to distance parameters?

--- End quote ---

I would expect them to have a noticeable delay unless your mics are on stage.  Wouldn't the mics be later than the sbd though?  Not that it matters really...just get them lined up in post.

Twenty8:

--- Quote from: heathen on February 22, 2023, 11:48:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twenty8 ---1.  What do some of you value highest in the mix?
--- End quote ---
Too many variables to give a concrete answer.  Personally I'd start with the mics mix and then bring up the sbd until I reached an overall mix I like. 

--- End quote ---
That seems like the most common sense answer and I figured this was going to be the case.  Thanks!

--- Quote from: heathen on February 22, 2023, 11:48:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twenty8 on February 22, 2023, 11:02:36 PM ---2.  Trying to solve the time delay issue in Reaper.  When I think I have this sucker all lined up, I feel like I have the soundboard ~0:00.38 seconds behind the mics from when I hit record on the MixPre6ii.  Is this roughly what you have seen: board is slightly delayed due to distance parameters?

--- End quote ---

I would expect them to have a noticeable delay unless your mics are on stage.  Wouldn't the mics be later than the sbd though?  Not that it matters really...just get them lined up in post.

--- End quote ---
Mics were at the soundboard.  Maybe I'll mess around in the morning and flip it so the soundboard leads at 0:00.00 with the mics delayed slightly.  Seemed to get rid of some of the echo when the sbd was placed delayed slightly.  I figured the sound was delayed at my mics so I pulled them in front of the soundboard to even the time difference, but perhaps I have that equation backwards.

Last time I recorded a matrix for this band I had an unusual problem where the soundboard feed was slightly shorter in time than my mics.  I mean... what the hell?  I stretched the board feed.  It was not run to my deck and came from an exFAT thumbdrive.  If I trust anything its my new Mix Pre and not an old, venue soundboard > exFAT.  Very strange.  Glad I don't have that weirdness this time.

billydee:
For most of my matrix recordings I use the soundboard as the basis (assuming it's a relatively even mix), and then layer in the mics up to a point where audience chatter or room sound starts to take away from what I'm trying to end up with. This is especially the case when the mics are at FOH. In the cases with chatty crowds around the FOH mics I might end up with a ratio of 70-80% sbd and 20-30% FOH mics. And some of that also depends on the music volume in the venue.

When my mics are onstage it's a little different, and I'll oftentimes end up with an appx 50% sbd and 50% onstage mics ratio. But then that can vary too, depending on where the mics are placed onstage and other variables, like a boisterous crowd up front.

Regarding the delay problem, I try and take care of that up front, and add delay to the soundboard feed input channels on the recorder. And if the house engineer can measure the delay for me I'll use that, otherwise I'll guestimate it. With my Tascam recorders I can add as much delay as I need, and fine tune in post if necessary. And from what I understand, the MixPre and Zooms are limited there, so you may not have that capability depending on the venue.

No matter what, it's a trial and error process, every venue is unique, and it took me a while to start getting it right. And then of course, it's all up to your ears and your taste.
Good luck and happy matrixing!

boomfizzle:

--- Quote from: Twenty8 on February 22, 2023, 11:02:36 PM --- Trying to solve the time delay issue in Reaper.

--- End quote ---

Assuming both of your sources were recorded on the same recorder, I've found the easiest way to align these in reaper is to create a new 'folder track' and put both sources inside that folder.  Short video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH0ByODyd3o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version