Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Mic Orientation ?

(1/1)

wboswell:
I have this little unresearched theory in my head and I would love for someone to give it credit or call BS on it.  I have tried it out the last two shows I have taped, and have been happy with the results, though I don't know if it was luck, if it really worked, or if the V3 is just a magical box no matter how you orient your mics, the tapes are gonna smoke.

I taped a Drive-by Truckers show at the 40 Watt in Athens, GA a few weeks ago.  Its your average cement box with an average PA.  The sound was pretty good despite the room.  I ran hypers (mk41s) on a DIN (90*/17cm) KwonBar.  Instead of angling the capsules up towards the PA cabinets, I angled them just slightly lower than level, more like at the stage monitors.  The tapes turned out great with a fuller bass response than I have noticed before when using the 41s.  I have had some bad luck with the 41s making a tape that is too bright for my ears.  I know this is a Schoeps quality....  but I don't have any of that harshness on the Truckers tape.

Any chance there is a correlation on the sound waves from the PA meeting the capsules off axis rolling off some the high frequencies and extending the lower frequencies on axis?  <Terrible run-on sentence>

Someone speak the truth!  Let me know some thoughts..

For now, I'll keep on with it until it proves otherwise.

Thanks!

wboswell:
thanks Mike.  I ellaborated a little more in the "How high...stand" thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version