Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: gonna be puttin together two more rigs...need more mic suggestions...  (Read 2690 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
I will soon have 1 more JB3, which will give me a total of 3 jb3s/

My first one is studio projects c-4s>audio magic x-streams>pmod ua-5>JB3

So I will start outfitting my next rig soon, as I am expecting my taxes this week. Want a second pair of mics,,that are successfull in the field...Any suggestions????This rig will be for softer gigs, mainly classical, chamber music, etc.

ray

will probably buy the mic2496 from core sounds....or the denecke ad-20......

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
Re: gonna be puttin together two more rigs...need more mic suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:21:35 PM »
Razorback has some AKG 393's in the yardsale right now for a great price.  Great mics ;)
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »

Just remember if you go with the Core-Sound Mic2496, it only outputs 24-bit.  The JB3 will truncate down to 16-bit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:03:36 PM »
You need some modded Nak cm300s ;D
W/O Rig but Hopeful

sml42

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 03:54:02 PM »

Hi Ray,

I have a mic2496, and I'm not happy with it (or with Core Sound). Read my rant here:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31504.0

best regards,
stephen

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 06:09:09 PM »
Curious as to why you would want to run 3 low end rigs as opposed to 1 high end?

I guess you didn't say that exactly, but since you brought up the 2496 and ad20, I'm assuming you want to keep the cost of the mics/pre/ad down. If so, I'd go with an MP2 and use the JB3's internal AD. For mics I'd go with DPA 406x, Audix 1290s or the AKG 390s.
I would guess that stand taping would be frowned upon in most classical settings and I think the DPAs would be a perfect match regardless.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »
Curious as to why you would want to run 3 low end rigs as opposed to 1 high end?

I guess you didn't say that exactly, but since you brought up the 2496 and ad20, I'm assuming you want to keep the cost of the mics/pre/ad down. If so, I'd go with an MP2 and use the JB3's internal AD. For mics I'd go with DPA 406x, Audix 1290s or the AKG 390s.
I would guess that stand taping would be frowned upon in most classical settings and I think the DPAs would be a perfect match regardless.

I echo John's thoughts.  I don't know how much taping experience you have gotten in with your c4's and full rig but judging by threads not too much yet, I would give it some time, getting used to the c4's and using omni's cards and playing with all the different configs.  Run up close far back, split omni's, so many choices.  Then use what you have learned to figure out what you'd like.  If you need a more open sound than the c4's provide or find yourself liking to switch between capsules for different situations more, then you might want to explore large diaphram mics, I reccommend the ADK Tl's they have a nice warm sound and paired with  your presense mod UA-5 that would be great.  If you find yourself liking the c4's but wishing your sound was a tad more detailed, maybe a bit more punchy in high end and had a bit better low end I would look into akg 391's or if you have extra cash the 480's.  Of course these are just my favorites basically these are the characteristics to think about when deciding between small diaphram and large mics.   Your preamp right now is very good, in fact I think its comparable to the v3 so I don't think an mp2 or ad-20 would be a step up at all.  If its stealthing you need than that is another story and another rig is justified, I enjoyed my at853 > mixpre >jb3 rig.  However above all get your feet wet before you upgrade like crazy, one good rig with all the characteristics you desire will be worth more toyou than all the rigs which are reccommended in the world.

Critically listen to your recordings with the c4's then listen to other's recordings with mics that you think may achieve the result you want and you will find what you need.  Maybe reach nirvana in choosing of rigs.  But there isn't really a need to have 3 inferior rigs, after all you can only use 1 at a time and you might as well make it good for all situations.
mics & cameras

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 09:28:39 PM »
d00d, get some used 480's for the chamber stuff, their noise floor is incredible
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com