Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 49750 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »
Good suggestion, Scott. I'm used to the bar-style metering of the ULN-2, but peak is really the only info I need here.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2005, 09:47:52 PM »
Anyone here do folley or location work?  Is most of the sound in the lower range of the metering? 

Not most, but the lower gain will show you that you are getting something - at the very least.  You're dealing mostly in voices from talents, several coming from variations of booms, lavs, and ambients.  Record yourself talking with the mic in your face, see the range the voice gets to?  Imagine capturing a whispering mother talking to a crying infant, than having to send a balanced mix straight to camera.  Unlike concert recording where the spl generally sits within a range of -12 to -2 to zero - in location sound you get everything from ambient silence to screaming voices, a rumblng train in the distance, to a gunshot or pitter patter of feet.   In short, you can wear out the whole range on a daily shoot.

We were able to use black lighting gels taped over the meters to get the "brightness" results we wanted in dark places.  Of course this is a bandaid, but you can still get to the buttons even with it wrapped around the whole area.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 10:04:12 PM by Kwonfidelity »
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2005, 07:48:49 PM »
hey now... can someone PM me which is which?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com