Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so what does the 722 sound like?  (Read 49751 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: so what does the 722 sound like?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2005, 09:59:05 AM »
i plan on listening to both tonight.  i still haven't done the direct comparison

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2005, 11:53:09 AM »
to be honest, i think people are being pretty cautious about making statements about this box just yet.  there aren't a whole lot of sources out, and yours is the only comparison disc that i know of being done.  but i don't care about comparison downloads.  also, 24bit is still not all that common, and those of us who do listen to 24bit recordings, I imagine, are a bit more circumspect in making broad statements about the box until we've heard it a bit more.  from the two sources I have heard, I was only at 1 of the shows, so it's impossible to get a real frame of reference.  both sources were km140s>sd722 (mule 2-20-05 and wilco 2-23-05) so marc you can stop reading now.   :P i found the 722 to be very laid back and musical, with a big, rounded bottom end.  i have always found that the real benefit of 24bit recordings is in tightening up the lower frequencies.  this seems to accomplish that well.  the 140s can get loose in the low end and mule is certainly a bass-heavy tape, but there is no sign of bloated bass.  it sounds very accurate (though i wasn't at the show) and round.  not very warm though.  from my memory of the wilco show, the 722 sounds very accurate.  It sounds very much like what i remember at the show.  sound was good that night, but not great, and you can hear the limitations of the mix in the "tape".  the dynamic range advantage from working in 24 bit is more evident in the wilco tape, but that's not too surprising given the types of bands and the venues (wilco was at the 930 which is a very good sounding room).  I don't know if any of my rambling makes any sense at all.

overall, i think it sounds pretty neutral, a little bit less detailed than a v3, and with less presence, but just as, if not more musical.  but this is just an impression off of two different bands in different rooms.  the only constant here is the microphone.

EDIT: I ran the 722 for wilco while michael ran it for mule.  I have a few issues with the design, but overall it's a very easy box to use.  I don't particularly like the metering.  however, i may have been in the wrong metering mode (not sure if it was peak or the basic one).  but i found myself running the levels too conservatively because I was concerned about overs.  there are 10 LEDs between -40 and -20 but only 3 between -12 and over.  that doesn't make *any* sense to me.  midway through the first wilco song when i was well into the red, i backed the levels off and peaked at around -10 to -8 the rest of the show.  well, the first half of the first track sounds markedly better than the next few songs till i got it dialed in more.  but i still wish i had pushed the box more to take advantage of more of the dyanmic range.  it's too bad the meters seem to be more pretty than they are useful.

EDIT again: i'm sure the metering issue becomes easier to deal with once you've run the box a few times and get a feel for how it runs. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 12:06:42 PM by dmonterisi »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
It's not a HUGE issue that they drift, but its rather a lot. It's one cent down in 6 minutes. After 600 minutes (ok, no show is that long) it's a WHOLE half-tone out of tune. That is an issue.

huh?

since no show is that long it's not an issue. I think you're fishing here....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Flarnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »
Provided that the microphones sound exactly the same (a concept which I am extremely sceptical towards):

B has sort of a "smiley" frequency curve compared to A. If this is due to A being midrange-heavy (which makes A flat) or due to A imposing a smiley EQ on the material, that I cannot say. But I cannot help getting irritated at some weird phase issues in said midrange of A.

I like neither actually. This is one villager who needs to hear more to pass ultimate judgement.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2005, 12:12:43 PM »
i found the 722 to be very laid back and musical, with a big, rounded bottom end.

I totally agree with you on the bottom end. Big and rounded is what I hear too.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2005, 12:14:21 PM »
http://tapers.org/public/

is showing a "comparison" directory

I'm not getting access to the directory structure after connecting to the ftp server.  Is there a very long latency response to ls after connecting?

Edit: gui client was putting server into passive mode, causing problem for the server.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 12:48:58 PM by El Barto »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »
Provided that the microphones sound exactly the same (a concept which I am extremely sceptical towards):

B has sort of a "smiley" frequency curve compared to A. If this is due to A being midrange-heavy (which makes A flat) or due to A imposing a smiley EQ on the material, that I cannot say. But I cannot help getting irritated at some weird phase issues in said midrange of A.

I like neither actually. This is one villager who needs to hear more to pass ultimate judgement.

it's not a question of "do you like the recordings?" but one of "what do you notice that's different about the recordings?"

what do you mean by "smiley" curve?

Offline Tim

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »
an eq curve that looks like a smiley face, a big dip in the midrange
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2005, 12:29:41 PM »

so i should start putting that in my source info when i seed a show?  I apply that curve to everything i seed, is this wrong?  :P

Offline scb

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
so he's calling A more transparent than B, which he says has less midrange

ok. 

i'm interested to listen tonight

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2005, 12:36:12 PM »

ok. 

i don't think that's what he is saying.  I think he is saying that B has less midrange than A.  that doesn't mean to me that either is transparent, just a comparison of the midrange response of the two sources.

Offline Tim

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2005, 12:38:02 PM »

so i should start putting that in my source info when i seed a show? I apply that curve to everything i seed, is this wrong? :P

;D

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2005, 12:40:49 PM »

so i should start putting that in my source info when i seed a show? I apply that curve to everything i seed, is this wrong? :P

Does Cassius react differently to 24/96 vs. 24/48? How about when you apply the EQ?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2005, 12:43:10 PM »

Does Cassius react differently to 24/96 vs. 24/48? How about when you apply the EQ?

he reacts differently to surround recordings...the first time i listened to the sacd of DSOTM, he was freaking out.

Offline scb

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2005, 12:45:15 PM »

ok. 

i don't think that's what he is saying.  I think he is saying that B has less midrange than A.  that doesn't mean to me that either is transparent, just a comparison of the midrange response of the two sources.

ok...i took one having a "smiley" curve to it to mean the other was flatter...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com