Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 480's and a wmod UA-5 = too much bass for me  (Read 8447 times)

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
480's and a wmod UA-5 = too much bass for me
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:16:40 PM »
What can I do about this? Anyone want to trade modded UA-5's for a period of time?  Thinking maybe the T-mod might sound better to me with these mics.  I see the V2 can be had for a decent price these days? Would that be any brighter?

thanks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 480's and a wmod UA-5 = too much bass for me
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:24:51 PM »
[1]  How many recordings have you made with that setup?  How did it sound at the performance?  What was your location, mic config, etc.?  Could just be a bass-heavy mix / venue / performance.

[2]  What's your playback system, and do you ever intend to change / upgrade it, or are you set for life?  You may appreciate the added bass if/when you change / upgrade your playback system.

[3]  Have you considered applying a HPF in post-production to bring the bass levels down a bit?

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:30:11 PM »
[1] How many recordings have you made with that setup? How did it sound at the performance? What was your location, mic config, etc.? Could just be a bass-heavy mix / venue / performance.

[2] What's your playback system, and do you ever intend to change / upgrade it, or are you set for life? You may appreciate the added bass if/when you change / upgrade your playback system.

[3] Have you considered applying a HPF in post-production to bring the bass levels down a bit?

qmft
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »
I've run them maybe 10-12 times now.  Always read in here to run them din, so that's what I've been doing. Thinking maybe I should try x/y like I did with the 300's especially in some of these smaller bars. Yeah, some of these venues maybe a bit bass-heavy.  I love the UA-5 though, I guess I should experiment a bit more with configs and setup.  Appreciate the feedback / food for though, Brian.

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:55:57 AM »
You can also always send it back to Oade's to be re-modded with a P or T mod instead of W (for a nominal charge, of course).

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:59:19 AM »
What caps? Cards?
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:25:51 PM »
XY with the CK61's can help cut down on the bass.

Running the CK63 hyper caps will also definitely reduce the amount of bass on your recording.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:58:21 PM »
PM sent.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 02:31:15 PM »
XY with the CK61's can help cut down on the bass.

Running the CK63 hyper caps will also definitely reduce the amount of bass on your recording.

I agree with this. Not as much bass with the hypers. Of course, you could also run the bass rolloff on the mics and give that a shot..

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
[1] How many recordings have you made with that setup? How did it sound at the performance? What was your location, mic config, etc.? Could just be a bass-heavy mix / venue / performance.

[2] What's your playback system, and do you ever intend to change / upgrade it, or are you set for life? You may appreciate the added bass if/when you change / upgrade your playback system.

[3] Have you considered applying a HPF in post-production to bring the bass levels down a bit?

qmft
quantum mechanical fragmentation theory ?
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 03:46:53 PM »
hey John2525, I run my 480's into a UA5 that only has the digimod and its the best unit I have paired with mics with of the UA5/V3/MiniMe combos (V3 was way too transparent, MiniMe was way way too bassy), and it makes beautiful recordings, I suggest just picking up a used digimod unit and you are set, to hear the results stream my STS9 show off archive.org from 2-15-05; made using no bass roll off, DIN, FOB, easily one of the best recordings I have ever made, it might work for you as well, and cheap, my unit was only $285 with batteries, charger, cord, box, manual, delivered
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:13:47 PM by grider »

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
Trust me, I'm not arguing about the UA-5 in any fashion, this box is great. It's just that I have trouble hearing the 'highs' due to some hearing problems (no, not related to loud music) and I always find myself turning up the treble, etc... to get rid of the bass.  As you can see from my sig line, I'm running 63's.

Thanks guys.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »
It's just that I have trouble hearing the 'highs' due to some hearing problems (no, not related to loud music) and I always find myself turning up the treble, etc... to get rid of the bass. 

Given this, maybe EQ on playback (as you have been doing), might be your best option for making your recordings sound good to you on your playback gear, rather than applying heavy coloration to the original recording. That way you still have a good representation of how the show actually sounded on your tape, then when listening you can do as much fine-tuning as you like. Just a thought, of course YMMV.
Take care,
Ben

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 08:25:39 AM »
Although I don't use a UA-5, I'm still very curious about this. Does the wmod apply heavy coloration? I assumed that the differances between p, t and w mods are quite subtle, requiring a good playback system to hear the differances. I'm wondering if the wmod is the culprit to the excessive bass.
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 12:47:32 PM »
Although I don't use a UA-5, I'm still very curious about this. Does the wmod apply heavy coloration? I assumed that the differances between p, t and w mods are quite subtle, requiring a good playback system to hear the differances. I'm wondering if the wmod is the culprit to the excessive bass.

I don't have hands-on UA5 experience, but I would not think that the mods apply "heavy" coloration and that you are probably right in that the various mods are subtle differences in "flavoring" between the units. When I referred to applying heavy coloration to the original recording I was thinking something more along the lines of using the HPF on the 480 bodies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com