Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&W service?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
B&W service?
« on: June 13, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
Looks like a tweeter that was dented when I moved last July has finally given way.... ::)

anyone have any experience with B&W repairs? I'm wondering how big of a hassle this is going to be and what it might cost

I do have a B&W dealer right down the street who has a pretty significant repair center, they were closed today but I'm hoping they can handle it

my speakers are the 602.5 series III
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: B&W service?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:44:02 PM »
You hadn't been listening to it with it dented have you?  Dumb question, but had to ask  ;)

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »
yeah, it actually sounded just fine and the dent is very minor (actually it sounds fine at medium volumes now, just distorts when I turn it up)

I'm guessing I shouldn't have done that :P

sometimes being a moron makes life really, really tough   :-[
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:59:25 PM »
tweeter assembly costs $47
installation costs $50

I'll be ready to go by the end of the week for under $100..... whew

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:27:44 PM »
I'd say under $50.  You would be surprised with the amount of stress the material was probably seeing.  Under that loading condition it is amazing it lasted that long.  A dent with any type of small crease would cause a huge stress concentration area. 

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 01:35:34 PM »
Tim:

Generally, installation of the tweeter assembly requires unscrewing a few screws and unfastening/refastening 2 wires.  You might want to try to unscrew the broken tweeter yourself (no harm done if you further damage it) and see if you'd be comfortable installing the replacement on your own.  Happy to help you out.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »
Tim:

Generally, installation of the tweeter assembly requires unscrewing a few screws and unfastening/refastening 2 wires. You might want to try to unscrew the broken tweeter yourself (no harm done if you further damage it) and see if you'd be comfortable installing the replacement on your own. Happy to help you out.

definitely do this, I had to get the foam surrounds replaced on my woofer cones, and it was as simple as unscrewing them, unsoldering the two connection wires, sending them off, and then when receiving them back, re-solder and screw in...simple...

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 01:50:45 PM »
they are fixing it for free.... B&W has a liberal warranty policy and the guy at the local B&W shop is just going to claim it was an issue from the factory....

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »
they are fixing it for free.... B&W has a liberal warranty policy and the guy at the local B&W shop is just going to claim it was an issue from the factory....
that is very very cool of them.
I would slip the guy a 6 pack at the least or a 20 just for
making this go smooth and free!
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »
yeah, I was planning on tiping him.... I was pretty pleased.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com