Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain  (Read 13986 times)

Offline gloryandconsequenc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain
« on: July 03, 2005, 04:54:51 AM »
I am purchasing my first recording setup and am still debating between the Sony Mz-N1, Mz-R910 (by the way, is there a difference between the rh910 and the r910?), Mz-R909 and of course the JB3.  I am leaning toward the Jb3 though. 

I am interested in opinions on these, though I've read just about everything I could find on this site. 

However, my main question today is about mics. 

I was just about sold on the AKG c1000s or C414BULS due to the optional self-powered setting and then I saw their pricetag and also started considering stealth options for further down the road. 

Most of my recording will be either tapping right into the soundboard or with a mic stand in small clubs where the bands allow taping.  = Great for the AKGs as I hear.

However, occasionally I can see myself wanting to record some shows in stealth mode.  For which there are a million options for mics. 

SO - should i buy the AKGs (or do I not need the self-amplification?),  cheaper mics of nearly comprable quality with/without power (which would be...what_?) AND some cheap stealths (which would be...what_?)?  Or just some stealths that I could rig on a mic stand when necessary?  Oh, and is it essential to have two mics? 

As always, open and appreciative of any and all advice...

Thanks a million!

PS- thinking of the Denecke AD-20 as a preamp if I buy unpowered mics...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 05:00:29 AM by gloryandconsequenc »

Ray76

Re: Best Stealth Mics / Best Standard Mics = Best Bargain
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 06:12:54 AM »
Hey bud, this topic has been covered extensively on this board, though if you are beginning , Sound Professionals makes some great reasonably priced mics, as does Core Sounds.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:42:14 PM »
PS- thinking of the Denecke AD-20 as a preamp if I buy unpowered mics...

If you buy unpowered mics, the AD-20 does not provide phantom power, so you will need a battery box as well.

I am a big proponent of the Studio Projects C4 > Digimod Edirol UA-5 setup as a starter rig.  The UA-5 has phantom power, pre-amp, mic in, line in, and coax, optical, and 24/96 capable USB outs, all for only a little more than the AD-20.  The C4's are only $300, which includes both omni and card caps and shock mounts.  The only possible downside is that this rig is not particularly stealthable, depending on how important a consideration this is for you.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:52:57 PM »
may i suggest the neumann km140 set.  you can open tape with them and easily stealth them using the active cable (lc3ka).

they provide exchangeable caps from omni > figure 8. new caps are expensive, though.

they do show up on the used market from time to time, but for ~$1400-1500, you'll have some great flexibility from a single set of mics.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:14:42 PM »
i would like to respectfully fluff the at853  ;D

i have pulled some nice sounding shows both stealth and open.  lots of flexibility with power options (battery box or p48) and caps.

that said i am still going to eventually get some akg 460's (or dpa's if i was a big baller, yo)
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 01:25:34 PM »
stelthing...well I use the DPA 4061's and Audix ADX20-d's love  them both.

Brad

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 01:59:21 PM »
Hey bud, this topic has been covered extensively on this board, though if you are beginning , Sound Professionals makes some great reasonably priced mics, as does Core Sounds.

Dont waste your money on anything from core sound or Sound Pro..It will be 2-3 months and you will be replacing them....Spend the extra coin now you will save later!!The AT 853's are smokin mic go with phantom power..

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »

Dont waste your money on anything from core sound or Sound Pro..It will be 2-3 months and you will be replacing them....Spend the extra coin now you will save later!!The AT 853's are smokin mic go with phantom power..

+T for helpin the guy , but Some would beg to differ with you. The HEB from core sounds, I THINK are dpa 4060s 0r 1s , and i think Macdaddy uses them, and has been for as long as i can remember. there aint too much to upgrade from on the DPA side of things. There pretty much is nowhere to go. I dont like the customer service at all, but were not talking about that. That statement you made is a generalization, and not entirely true.
DPAs are considered by many to be the top mic in its class, and most definitely an improvement over an at853, based on what ive heard around. Sound Pro makes solid products, and again, many folks use them for stealthing without ever upgrading.
Everyones different.

Ray
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 02:11:40 PM by BigRay »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »
I'd fluff the AT853RX against the DPAs.  Sure the DPAs are superior.  But the RX's can take multiple capsules and the DPAs are fixed.  So the DPA route can be very expensive for your budget.  On the flip side, some of the RX capsules have been discontinued.   For stealth purposes, DPAs and the AT853RX are the best stealth MINI mics out there in the phantom category.  You can conceal them better than their Actives cousins.

We gave you a lot of choices.  Good luck on your search.  I'm sure what ever choice you make, your recordings will turn out great!   ;D

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »
I just bought a pair of DPA 4061's and I can't believe I was with the ECM-717 for 4 years and not upgrading! These baby's kick ass!

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »

+T for helpin the guy , but Some would beg to differ with you. The HEB from core sounds, I THINK are dpa 4060s 0r 1s , and i think Macdaddy uses them, and has been for as long as i can remember. there aint too much to upgrade from on the DPA side of things. There pretty much is nowhere to go. I dont like the customer service at all, but were not talking about that. That statement you made is a generalization, and not entirely true.
DPAs are considered by many to be the top mic in its class, and most definitely an improvement over an at853, based on what ive heard around. Sound Pro makes solid products, and again, many folks use them for stealthing without ever upgrading.
Everyones different.

Ray

Exactly Ray but the guy your quoting is a user of the 4061's his point is why buy them from CS your just paying more  for the mics thru them and getting less. Hit up one of the other dealers and save yourself a headache.And yes they are the top mic in there class, Infact they give the big mics a run for there money when used properly.

Brad

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 04:49:19 PM »
you should hear the 4060's/mma6000 -> DSD
:jawdrop:
lets have a sample

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 05:23:54 PM »

Everyones different.

Ray

Exactly Ray but the guy your quoting is a user of the 4061's his point is why buy them from CS your just paying more  for the mics thru them and getting less. Hit up one of the other dealers and save yourself a headache.And yes they are the top mic in there class, Infact they give the big mics a run for there money when used properly.

Brad

True, brad. True. And i hear you Dan. Yall are both right.
+T I totally agree with the CS thing.  Len is not a nice guy, he will never get my money.

+Ts around
ray

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 05:35:29 PM »
CSBs are starter mics, If ya run something better in a few months you wont be able to stand those CSB tapes.I would personally wouldnt buy the Heb from Core Sound as your limited what ya can do with them..The dpa 4061's with the microdots allow you do many things MMA
6000 Preamp sweet piece or the Voltage adaptors they will let you run any of the XLR preamps sonamax etc..Sound pros has good stuff, but the AT 853s can be purchased elsewhere for the same price Leegdaddy can point ya in the right direction for them and explian why ya want the real 853's..My choice would be the AT853s if moneys tight if not go with the 4061's.If ya got a spool to blow the best fucking steath mic as far as Im concered is Schoeps Mk4's..Injection is nice but  I'd rather been blown .......

Offline Brendan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 05:36:31 PM »
i use At- 853C's> Ps-2> JB3   works great and i recommend them

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.213 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com