Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack looses charge @ idle?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack looses charge @ idle?
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:00:03 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just bought a microtrack. I noticed that unconnected and powered off, the MT
slowly looses it charge over time. After a week, the battery is depleted ~ 1/2 way.
I believe this 'leakage current' will definately contribute to shortened battery life.

Is this normal or should I return it for another one?

If normal, is it better to store the MT when not in use with a totally discharged battery,
or to leave it plugged in to AC power?

Thanks

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtrack looses charge @ idle?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »
Unfortunately it's very normal, and noticeable even after a short time.

Charge it completely, put it away for an hour or so, then plug it back up - I guarantee it'll have at least 1/4 of the power already drained and take a good 20 minutes or so to charge back up.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

Just bought a microtrack. I noticed that unconnected and powered off, the MT
slowly looses it charge over time. After a week, the battery is depleted ~ 1/2 way.
I believe this 'leakage current' will definately contribute to shortened battery life.

Is this normal or should I return it for another one?

If normal, is it better to store the MT when not in use with a totally discharged battery,
or to leave it plugged in to AC power?

Thanks

The makers of lithium ion batteries suggest NOT storing these at full charge, better for the life of the battery I'm told.  The MT battery indicator seems to read full up with battery at top'd out condition, which may not be the 'normal' resting voltage for a fully charged battery that must come down in voltage a bit after being fully charged or top'd off by the charging circuit.   So the indication of lowered battery voltage after being stored a short time is NOT a true indication of battery charge by all indications.

Suggest only charging up the MT shortly before needing it.   Also remember that a new rechargeable battery regardless of type needs go through a few cycles of discharge/charge before full battery capacity is available.

My site has portable MT charge-run external USB packs with 7 and 14+ ampere capacity that will quickly charge up, and/or run the MT for extended times.   New external BC-MT-A C cell pack (not yet shown) also has external 12 volt Auto connector for charging/running MT from automobile battery with attachable power cord to the USB power sled.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 01:21:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I know some level of discharge is normal, it just
seemed noticeably quicker on the MT compared to my minidisc, laptop,
and other rechargeable battery devices I own. Owe well.

A USB battery box is definately planned for exteneded recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com