Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50244 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »
I'm a lot less impressed after watching the video than I hoped I would be (although I do love that screen!)...the demo just made it even more glaringly obvious to me how many ways it falls short of the MT for everything that it did right. Is it that hard for someone to take a step forward in designing these things without taking two back???

Craig

Could expand on your observation?

yeah, to me, it looks like a total upgrade over my R-1, and I'm pretty enthused about it, as long as it can use 4gb cards.  What's your issue with it?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2006, 10:07:42 PM »
to me, the only real "drawbacks" i see with the R-09, thus far, are as follows:

1) no support for 4 GB (yet... though i'm sure they will come through with it)
2) because of the above, there's surely no auto-split feature yet (but perhaps it will be included with 4 GB support, via firmware update)
3) no digital input

as mentioned, i really think they will update the R-09 with some firmware so that 4 GB cards will be taken. even if they do not include an auto split, if the R-09 is as quick as the R-1 for stopping/starting a new file, it's only a couple of seconds of crowd noise lost. again, not a big deal to me. and for the third item, for those who don't run an ADC in front of the recorder, again not a big deal.

yes, it is a shame there's no digital input, but if the quality of the internal ADC is that of the R-1, i'll be quite satisfied.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2006, 10:09:49 PM »
to me, the only real "drawbacks" i see with the R-09, thus far, are as follows:

1) no support for 4 GB (yet... though i'm sure they will come through with it)
2) because of the above, there's surely no auto-split feature yet (but perhaps it will be included with 4 GB support, via firmware update)
3) no digital input

as mentioned, i really think they will update the R-09 with some firmware so that 4 GB cards will be taken. even if they do not include an auto split, if the R-09 is as quick as the R-1 for stopping/starting a new file, it's only a couple of seconds of crowd noise lost. again, not a big deal to me. and for the third item, for those who don't run an ADC in front of the recorder, again not a big deal.

yes, it is a shame there's no digital input, but if the quality of the internal ADC is that of the R-1, i'll be quite satisfied.

This pretty much sums up my opinion exactly.  +T  Oh, and its 48khz, whereas the R-1 is only 44.1khz.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2006, 10:32:46 PM »
I'm a lot less impressed after watching the video than I hoped I would be (although I do love that screen!)...the demo just made it even more glaringly obvious to me how many ways it falls short of the MT for everything that it did right. Is it that hard for someone to take a step forward in designing these things without taking two back???

Craig

yeah, to me, it looks like a total upgrade over my R-1, and I'm pretty enthused about it, as long as it can use 4gb cards.  What's your issue with it?

Are you considering it a "total upgrade" merely for the fact that it's smaller and does 24/48 over the 24/44.1 capability of the R1? Or am I missing something?
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2006, 10:58:01 PM »

Craig

Are you considering it a "total upgrade" merely for the fact that it's smaller and does 24/48 over the 24/44.1 capability of the R1? Or am I missing something?
dB-

That's about how I see it too. I will not be "upgrading" to the R-09. As far as I'm concerned, the R-1 will provide me with the exact same features that I'll be needing, and I don't feel like moving to SD cards cuz it's just a pain to have to buy new cards... etc.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2006, 11:14:36 PM »
I very much want to be able to record at 24/48.  I see it as an upgrade for that, individual level meters, smaller size... Don't get me wrong, I really dig the R-1, but I'm gonna move to this when it comes out if the 4gb card issue is fixed.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:05 AM »
I very much want to be able to record at 24/48.  I see it as an upgrade for that, individual level meters, smaller size... Don't get me wrong, I really dig the R-1, but I'm gonna move to this when it comes out if the 4gb card issue is fixed.

I'm not sure if I should hold out for a possible Oade modded R-09 or if I shold get an R1, but I thing I have to ask...

If they haven't fixed the 4GB issue with the R1 why would they be any faster in getting it done for the R-09? 

we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2006, 04:51:42 AM »
the manual says that the R1 only accepts 2GB cards but I've been using a 4GB card with mine and haven't had ANY compatability issues with it
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2006, 07:44:16 AM »
the manual says that the R1 only accepts 2GB cards but I've been using a 4GB card with mine and haven't had ANY compatability issues with it

Yup.  You can use a 4gb card in an R-1.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »

Have they implimentd an auto-file split feature for the R1? That's what I was referring to

If 4GB cards are compatable with the R-09 then it will be a good replacement for the R1 for sure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:54:47 AM by Zaphod »
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:12 AM »

Sandisk Ultra 8 GB card works too.

Jeff

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »
I think the R09 will be rock solid, just like the R1.  Notice, you hardly see any "problem" threads regarding R1, but there seems to be a new one for the Microtrack everyday.  The digital input is not enough to sway me to buy one.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2006, 10:09:49 AM »

i feel the same way. +T back to you, pfife. at 24/48, no upsampling required: you can make a DVD-V disc with Audio DVD Creator (which will have more player compatibility than a DVD-A disc at 24/44.1).

i've had no troubles stealthing with the R-1, but the smaller size will be nice. and let's not forget, if the R-09 is as reliable as the R-1, the R-09 should make a great little recorder. i'm getting stoked for this 2nd gen. R-1 (the R-09).

Zaphod - no, Edirol did not implement an auto split feature for the R-1. sort of a shame, but they are probably thinking, "it works well, why try to add features"... and apparently they have been working on making the R-09, so...

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2006, 10:27:19 AM »
i've had no troubles stealthing with the R-1, but the smaller size will be nice. and let's not forget, if the R-09 is as reliable as the R-1, the R-09 should make a great little recorder. i'm getting stoked for this 2nd gen. R-1 (the R-09).

The form factor alone is reason enough to replace the R1. This thing appears to be the size of a cell phone. The R1 is a pain in the ass to take out of your front pocket for level checking or starting a new file.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
What about the analog input path,  and impedance, SNR, THD, etc?
Any info known?
Battery life?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.312 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com