Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50064 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 11:45:46 AM »
Average price for a new R-1 on the 'net is $420.00 + free shipping.  Soundprofessionals is selling the R-09 for $398.00 +$9.00 shipping.   ???  In Edirol's own literarture, it states that the R-09 is supposed to be more "affordable" than the R-1.  $13.00 is more affordable?  WTF!    :o

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »
Hello:

Well, technically, nobody is supposed to advertize the R-1 for less than $439......but some resellers violate the MAP policy. So, as far as Edirol is concerned, it's a $40 drop in price.

Hope this helps

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc
www.soundprofessionals.com
800-213-3021

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »
Thanks Chris!  Hmmm, its a shame.  If they meant more affordable, I would think the price drop would be at least $100 and put it more on par with the Microtrack price.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:39:29 PM by spyder9 »

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
Hello:

Actually, it is exactly the same price as the Microtrack now......they are both MAP'd at $399.00

Chris

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »
I find it to be absolutely stupid for any manufacturer to not include digital inputs in their products.  The R1, the 660 and the list seems to be growing.   

What options are there in the marketplace for a small hand held recorder with digital in/outs with the ability to record 24bit.  Not many its looking like.  Obviously these manufactures are trying to rush products into the marketplace without even the thought of looking at the shortcomings and problems of their competitors. 

No love......

EDIT:   I forgot to even mention that piece of shit new Sony recorder.  . 

Absence of dig-in seems totally understandable in todays copyright sensitive world...

And really - isnt SPDIF going the way of the doh-doh bird???...it's really not used much with pro gear - and increasingly less with the advent of gear with computer based interfaces...(USB, Firewire...)

I dont think tapers represent a large enough niche for any business to care what we want...

I always thought it was a licensing thing that Edirol didn't want to pay Sony/Phillips to use their digi interface but then Sony didn't even put it on their recorder opting for an optical mini output.  They all obviously think there is a market with the built in mic type device.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
we need to realize that the "taper geek" market is not on the forefront of designers minds when they dream this shit up.
for every one of us, there are 500 hack musicians who want to record themselves from the coffee table.  and that is where products like these come from.

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 02:04:24 PM »
FWIW, I got my R-1 for $380 shipped brand new from an online retailer where you could negotiate a price online with them.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »
we need to realize that the "taper geek" market is not on the forefront of designers minds when they dream this shit up.
for every one of us, there are 500 hack musicians who want to record themselves from the coffee table.  and that is where products like these come from.

I printed this out, trimmed it, then framed it.  ;D

blackmikito

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »
So, after looking at the pictures on the Edirol sight more closely, it appears that the unit is using up and down "buttons" instead of the manual "dial" that the R-1 has to control the input level.

And, to quote Doug Oade from his board regarding this similar feature on the Microtrack....

"Sadly this thing (the Microtrack) uses a digital level control that probably cannot be bypassed or improved. Fine for MP3 users or ENG but not so great for tapers or audiophiles. Think JB3/MD analog input sound quality. Still, the promise of this thing is as a non resampling 24 bit storage device for the Grace V3, Apogee MiniMe or MOD UA5. Until we see Microphone Preamps with A/D converters that include CF slots, something like this unit is our best hope for low cost storage.
Let us all hope they managed to include a good quality 24 bit S/PDIF input"

The difference here is that the new R-09 doesn't have a digital input in, so it won't be able to be used as a bit bucket like the MT.  So this is an obvious handicap right off the bat, regardless of whether or not you run a preamp in front.

So, if this is the case, at least it's better to know conclusively before the thing even comes out. Much better than waiting months and months and months and spending all that money first.  Unless of course, I'm wrong on my technology-facts here....

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
So unless I'm missing something, here's the pros list of the R-09 against the MT:

R-09 Pros:

- Built-in mics (does anyone here care?)
- Cleaner preamp (?)
- More solid build (?)
- Low-cut filter
- Reverb
- Replaceable batteries (2 AAs)
- Digital output (not really necessary with USB file transfer)
- OLED screen (but only 2 lines)

MT Pros:

- Digital in
- 24/96 vs 24/48
- Phantom power (30V's better than nothing)
- 2 1/4-inch TRS inputs
- Monitor while recording (the R-09 specs imply that you can only monitor after recording)
- Supports > 2GB cards (the R-09 specs say that it only supports up to 2GB SD cards)
- Larger screen (looks like twice the height of the R-09...4 lines vs. 2)

I guess it depends on your application, but I'll still stick with the MT for now.

Craig

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:39:39 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
The inputs are on the top of the unit instead of coming out the bottom like the MT or coming off the side like the R-1. Personally, I see that as a minor ergonomic plus.  You really could slip this one in your shirt pocket and be able to glance down at the screen to check levels.

MT inputs are on the top, except for S/PDIF. The R-09's headphone jack is on the side (vs. the top for the MT), which isn't so ergonomic if you're trying to monitor (although, as noted in my previous post, it looks like the R-09 doesn't let you monitor).

Don't get me wrong, either...I'll be the first one in line to buy the product that bests the MT in the same form factor. I just don't see the R-09 as being that product.
Craig
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:47:46 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
Hello:

Actually, it is exactly the same price as the Microtrack now......they are both MAP'd at $399.00

Chris

A ton of our members picked up the Microtrack for $299 at the Guitar Center, FYI.

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 03:17:43 PM »
What is troubling with the Sound Professional ad is the recommended accessories...spefically the external record level meter...hmm no onboard record level indication?

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
What is troubling with the Sound Professional ad is the recommended accessories...spefically the external record level meter...hmm no onboard record level indication?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/ED-R-09-B.jpg

Roving Sign

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »
That thing looks like a electric razor!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com