Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50062 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »
now those same people are not even considering the new sony product, a fine example of how loyal consumers actually are.

I dont think most on this board have any clue what people in those industries are considering....not a knock, but their needs are significantly different...

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2006, 09:04:06 AM »
very true.  hobbyist level recording enthusiasts probably account for a fraction of a percentage of their total sales.  luckily there are products on the market which are well suited for our needs.  this r-09 looks to be another which should satisfy alot of folks around here at least.  i can really give a flying fuck what the media are using to make their recordings with ... and we've all heard them on those 60 minutes style shows where sting operations are recorded and such...they really don't care about actual audio quality.  it's really amazing how poor those tapes are and they are still used as solid evidence in court cases.  they're usually so terrible you can't understand what's being said without a transcript.  what i'm saying is that their needs are very very different from ours - we're perfectionists.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2006, 11:00:02 AM »
I understand the importance of digi-in, for there are many people who will not part with their favorite preamp.  Myself included.  Also, noise would be lower than a 1/8 connection.  But if the ADC is good on the R09, as the R1, then cleaning up any noise at the 1/8 connection is all that needs to be done.  Doug Oade has done that with the R1.  I assume he will do that with the R09.  That's why I'd have no problem hooking up a V2, MP2, or Sonosax to the R09.  I'm strongly considering getting this.

As for the Microtrack, reading all the problems people are having, none consistent but often varying, I don't find it reliable enough to even switch from my trusty JB3.  With the R09, I'm hoping I can dump the Deneckes (2 boxes) and just run a MP2 (1box).  With the R09 being less bulkier than the JB3, my future stealth rig will be even stealthier.  Heck, all I care about right now is 16 bit.   ;)

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »
I planned on buying a MT, but now.. this seems great for stealthing, but I'm interested to hear people's experiences first. Maybe I'm blind, but did it say anything about battery time?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »
I planned on buying a MT, but now.. this seems great for stealthing, but I'm interested to hear people's experiences first. Maybe I'm blind, but did it say anything about battery time?

It runs on 2 AA batteries.  Hopefully the R09 will take 2500 mah rechargeables, for they are a little longer than the 2100 mah.  Bottomline: powering shouldn't be an issue with this unit.

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
Ah that sounds great. Been reading so much about the battery time on the MT so I would probably have to buy an external battery for it, but with the R09 that seems redundant.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
I'm just so mad that I bought one at full retail price last week.. a day before I saw about the 09.   ARGH! :banging head:

But what would you have done until April?

Seriously man, be happy with what you got. The R-1 is great! I don't think R-09 is really that much different to make a huge deal over.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
oh well thanks for the info then.  i remember all the initial issues with the MT after it hit the market and thought that the digital input wasn't working properly yet.  cool that it works then.

revised then...if you have a V3/Digimod UA5 and don't like the MT for recording you can get a laptop and stop worrying about file sizes, flash cards and battery life issues assosciated with the portable recorders.

How about battery life on the laptop, and bulk?

I have been running 24/48 SPDIF out of my V3 with about 90% success rate. I am still running a backup, though.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
it was my understanding that 1/4" inputs are always unbalanced since they're basically just a single wire connection and a ground.  either way, the R-09 just has the 1/8" input (which is also unbalanced) but it should work fine as long as it's not noisy.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2006, 09:04:45 PM »
it was my understanding that 1/4" inputs are always unbalanced since they're basically just a single wire connection and a ground.

The 1/4" inputs on the MT are TRS connections.  Tip-Ring-Sleeve.  Three connections, three wires, a balanced input.

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2006, 10:56:28 PM »
it was my understanding that 1/4" inputs are always unbalanced since they're basically just a single wire connection and a ground.  either way, the R-09 just has the 1/8" input (which is also unbalanced) but it should work fine as long as it's not noisy.

1/4" can be either balanced or unbalanced....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:28 AM »
Since the MT digi inputs don't even work yet

this is not true.  I have neve used the analog inputs, only digital, and I've made many great 24 bit recordings.  many other people have too.

Exactly Jason, the digi in does work, in fact my MT has been running fine, so I don't know where evil is getting his "facts" from, just another hater  ;)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2006, 10:29:39 PM »
wow....stop hatin on me sucka!  i guess i just haven't been keeping all up to date on the MT stuff since I don't own one :P

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »
Just got off the phone with Edirol/Roland and here is what I found out:

Balanced 1/8" Input = Yes
2gb SD Card = @ 21/2 Hours Recording (regardless of 24-Bit or 16-Bit according to them)
Monitor Recording Levels = YES!!!
ADC = Same As R1
Uses AA or AA mah rechargeables
Firmware updates are planned if there are any initial bugs and probable to allow 4gb SD card too

looks like i may pick one of these up...

Ryan in WA
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »
2gb SD Card = @ 21/2 Hours Recording (regardless of 24-Bit or 16-Bit according to them)

That's a pretty clear sign the person you spoke with had no idea what they were talking about, isn't it?

It's kind of like saying it doesn't matter whether you're eating double cheeseburgers or triple cheeseburgers, it's going to take you the same number of either before you're full.

I need to eat.

Craig
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:59:24 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com