Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: exploding microtracker  (Read 41464 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: exploding microtracker
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »
If it could have been ugly, but wasnt...and he is ok, isn't suing a little ..unethical/greedy/wrong?? The fact that someone said to "erase the part about your hand being fine" is a little telling, in my opinion. Id have a hard time taking money in a situation like that.

edit..spoogles..good thinking man. Glad you are ok.

Call a lawyer... a good lawyer will eat this up.  This could have been ugly, and I bet you walk a way with a fat wad in your pocket.  Lawyer first for sure.

Matt

I'm not saying take down the company, but I would say that a hazard like that deserves punishment.  Money is the only thing that talks to big business.  It isn't like this is your buddy or just some guy trying to make an honest buck.  Maybe I'm unethical, but I would definately have a lawyer go after them.  This is BS.  If I felt bad about getting the money I would donate it to burn research or sponsor a kid that had been badly burned.  Or another charity...  It isn't about having the money it is about making them pay.  If that happened in someones pocket or while it was unatended, they would be hating life.
     As for injuries I would go to the doc for posterities sake and to just have it on record.  I don't agree with playing up the injury if there is none.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2006, 12:42:31 PM »
If it could have been ugly, but wasnt...and he is ok, isn't suing a little ..unethical/greedy/wrong?? The fact that someone said to "erase the part about your hand being fine" is a little telling, in my opinion. Id have a hard time taking money in a situation like that.

What he said.  Glad to see Spoogles isn't trying to milk this inappropriately:

i don't need a lawyer. my hand is fine and i don't need someone to take 30% of the small amount i will be due.

milking bad, but still, what if he wasn't home and it burned his house down? as it is now, he has property damage (carpet) and was injured (thank goodness not badly!), not to mention no more recording device or media, all due to using a device according to instructions?

If it happened to me, I'd be talking to one of the attorneys at the firm I work for - just to see what path would/should be most appropriate, etc..

RebelRebel

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2006, 01:14:42 PM »
 Definitely something to bring to the companys attention.. and I am absolutely sure they will take it to heart, but why run to a lawyer ? On what grounds??based on a series of "what ifs"???  If he were harmed it'd be a different story, but whats the issue? Real issues, not "what ifs"

edit..spoogles..good thinking man. Glad you are ok.

Call a lawyer... a good lawyer will eat this up.  This could have been ugly, and I bet you walk a way with a fat wad in your pocket.  Lawyer first for sure.

Matt

I'm not saying take down the company, but I would say that a hazard like that deserves punishment.  Money is the only thing that talks to big business.  It isn't like this is your buddy or just some guy trying to make an honest buck.  Maybe I'm unethical, but I would definately have a lawyer go after them.  This is BS.  If I felt bad about getting the money I would donate it to burn research or sponsor a kid that had been badly burned.  Or another charity...  It isn't about having the money it is about making them pay.  If that happened in someones pocket or while it was unatended, they would be hating life.
     As for injuries I would go to the doc for posterities sake and to just have it on record.  I don't agree with playing up the injury if there is none.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:16:25 PM by Teddy »

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2006, 01:48:38 PM »
M Audio has been called and i am awaiting return call from supervisor.

i don't need a lawyer. my hand is fine and i don't need someone to take 30% of the small amount i will be due.

multiple T+'s

What comes around goes around.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »
Definitely something to bring to the companys attention.. and I am absolutely sure they will take it to heart, but why run to a lawyer ? On what grounds??based on a series of "what ifs"???  If he were harmed it'd be a different story, but whats the issue? Real issues, not "what ifs"

Well originally it wasnt about his hand at all.  He stated he expects M-Audio to pay for the replacement of his flooring and I expect he will have a rough time of it without the help of a lawyer.  With such terrible customer service over simple things I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be to get anything out of them for the damages his house incurred.  Ill bet they will send him a shiny new microtracker though :P  Spoogles, alot of lawyers wouldnt take anything out of the money your due for repair to your home, they would ask for enough from M-Audio to cover both expenses (fixing your carpet and paying your legal fees). Here's hoping they pay without having to go that route. Another +T for having to deal with this crap in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:09:09 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »
I still think it's a good idea to get a lawyer. I don't think it will be easy to get M-Audio to pay for the damage that was done without a laywer acting on your behalf. I hope I'm proved wrong.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2006, 02:12:21 PM »
My new name for the unit:

MicroMelter

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »
looks like I won't be charging anything with Lion batts unattended anymore, yipes!!  I heard on NPR this morn that a lady's cell phone exploded on her lap from faulty batts...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Lengthwise

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2006, 06:09:37 PM »
+T for the meltdown!
4/kc5/6>PSP3>MiniMe>661

ho

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2006, 09:28:41 AM »
+T..... for the holy shit factor.

I'm hoping for a recall and a better version of the MT as a replacement.  (maybe one with a fixed 2gb problem and an optical in)

keep us updated when you talk with the M-Audio folks.

Optical in? Why does it need a optical in?
Better battery life!
It's still going to have crappy battery life even with optical. Seems unnecessary "problem" if you can call it one. I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2006, 09:38:52 AM »
looks like I won't be charging anything with Lion batts unattended anymore, yipes!!

I always charge new batteries in a pan to minimize any damage if things don't go well.. Probably a good idea to do that every time.  This thread is a good reminder of why lion batteries should be handled gently and not dropped, etc.  If you compromise the case, it may not be able to hold the pressure caused by out-gassing while charging.  Not implying that this mt was handled rough or anything, just try not to drop the batteries.

Any TSer's ever had a wally battery explode/burn/etc?

oniontaper

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »

no, but after reading this thread I have been wondering if i really want those DVD/Wally battery's sitting in my house.....  :-\
I got two of those in my bag, and just one is about the size of a MT. What kind of flame do you think that thing would make if it ever went up?
Damn, makes me wonder if this why Wally World discontinued selling them?

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2006, 10:29:32 AM »

no, but after reading this thread I have been wondering if i really want those DVD/Wally battery's sitting in my house.....  :-\
I got two of those in my bag, and just one is about the size of a MT. What kind of flame do you think that thing would make if it ever went up?
Damn, makes me wonder if this why Wally World discontinued selling them?

i think i am going to look into a fireproof location for my Li-Ons, or at least a pan to charge in as previously mentioned.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Chuck

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2006, 10:44:40 AM »
FWIW, I have a ceramic tile table that I charge everything on. I use NiMH batteries now.

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »
Just checked in here after being away for a while.  In addition to using recording equipment, I also fly electric model airplanes.  And as such I am very familiar with the benefits and disadvantages of lithium cells. 

In my experience, I have never had a cell failure aside from simple loss of capacity.  But I have known people who have had similar failures that involved smoke and flames.  In one case, the failure seemed to be related to cell damage following a crash.  In the other cases, the failures seemed to be due to charger failure and resulting overcharging, but that is not definite.  It could be an internal cell failure, unrelated to any external cause. 

Bottom line is that most modelers consider LiPoly cells to be dangerous and store them in a fireproof box when not actually in use.  Mine live in an ammo box.  We also charge them either under direct supervision or in a fireproof container.  Mine get charged in that same ammo box.  As a cellphone and camera user, I accept the potential for catastrophic cell failure when I charge my cellphone and my digital camera. 

LiPoly cells do seem to be more dangerous than older technologies.  Possibly because the innards are flammable and because the housing is plastic and not metal?  And because the result of an overcharge or internal cell failure is a fire?  NiCd and NiMh cells would simply fizz and vent but I have never heard of one that actually caught fire. 

FWIW, there is an ugly little secret about LiPoly cells that Microtrack owners should be aware of.  And that is that LiPoly cells begin to degrade as soon as they are manufactured.  This degradation continues for the life of the cell.  It is accelerated by elevated temperature and higher state of charge, but the bottom line is that it continues regardless of whether you use your device continuously or leave it on the shelf.  And since the degradation is worse at higher states of charge, the common practice of leaving the unit fully charged accelerates the process.  On the other end, if you leave it discharged, the degradation is lessened.... but if the unit continues to draw a small amount of current in the OFF state, the cells can be discharged below 2.5V/cell and that will seriously accelerate the degradation.  In my electric model airplane experience, I get about 1-2 years max on cells before they have degraded to maybe 75% capacity.  Sometimes less.  Problem with the Microtrack is.... the cells are not user replaceable unless you want to open the case yourself and can find suitable cells.  It's the same issue I have, for example, with the iPod.  The degradation seems to be mostly an increase in internal resistance, so the relatively low current consumed by the MT may reduce the impact of the degradation.  But the battery is definitely life-limited. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com