Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3-wire BB/ PS2  (Read 8235 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 3-wire BB/ PS2
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right.

having the 4.7k mod in the preamp is only possible with a 3-wire mic/preamp.  with a mini-plug setup it must be done at the capsule, in the mic cable or in the mini plug.  doing it in the mini plug you only need 1 resistor because the mic cables come together.  this is better because you don't have to worry about matching the resistors, cutting/splicing the cables or screwing up the capsule.  it is very difficult to solder the resistor in the mini-plug though.  

Chris (Church):

Are you saying your preamp has the 4.7k mod "built in" ???  I didn't think that was a possibility (whilst having mini-plug connector on mics, and mini-plug input on the mic power supply/preamp).
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right

yeah, I thought the same thing but the electronics guru that did the mod for me told me that 1 resistor was electronically identical to using two at the mini-plug. 

do you have more detailed explanation of why the separation is better with two?   

thanks chris, you rock!

fwiw, if I knew this 4.7 mod for my ATs was such a pain, I would  have bought the chris church cardiods instead. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
Two capsules = two resistors even if ground is common the connection between the capsules is and should not be shared also the capsules change the value of the resistor in the circuit because its expecting to be loaded down by one capsule not two. All the distortion measurements I took were with one capsule I dont know exactly what two would do but I would always be on the safe side and build your mics like I do with two resistors.

You should use two resistors for better seperation of left and right

yeah, I thought the same thing but the electronics guru that did the mod for me told me that 1 resistor was electronically identical to using two at the mini-plug. 

do you have more detailed explanation of why the separation is better with two?   

thanks chris, you rock!

fwiw, if I knew this 4.7 mod for my ATs was such a pain, I would  have bought the chris church cardiods instead. 

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:40:32 PM »
Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

I thought the 4.7k mod was only possible to do at the mic capsule, on the mic wire, or at the mini-plug end (just like windorabug stated), so I was confused about how you applied this modification in your battery boxes/preamp.

Thanks again for the clarification!

My three wire preamp the st-9100 does have that mod built in also my high end omni mics and cardioids have that same mod.

Chris (Church):

Are you saying your preamp has the 4.7k mod "built in" ???  I didn't think that was a possibility (whilst having mini-plug connector on mics, and mini-plug input on the mic power supply/preamp).

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
Not a problem.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

I thought the 4.7k mod was only possible to do at the mic capsule, on the mic wire, or at the mini-plug end (just like windorabug stated), so I was confused about how you applied this modification in your battery boxes/preamp.

Thanks again for the clarification!

My three wire preamp the st-9100 does have that mod built in also my high end omni mics and cardioids have that same mod.

Chris (Church):

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com