Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power Conditioner rec's  (Read 3006 times)

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
Power Conditioner rec's
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »
Hey looking at adding a decent conditionaer to my ssystem, any thoughts?
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Power Conditioner rec's
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »
Hey looking at adding a decent conditionaer to my ssystem, any thoughts?

I have a Blue Circle Audio MR-1200 and it's been very good to me.   I can't really offer a comparison because it's the only conditioner I've used but when I first installed it I couldn't believe how much quieter my playback system was.  Most good power conditioners are going to have that effect the first time you use one.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 02:04:25 PM »
this is what i currently use, though i'm tossing around selling mine (i've got 2 of them and i'm still short on outlets with all the crap I've got)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15300&section=equipment

for what it's worth, i also tested this but didn't like it as much at the time - in a different house- but now that i have much better electrical work in my new condo i can afford to go backwards a touch in quality in order to save price and maximize outlets:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13435&section=equipment
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
if you own your living quarters, look into running a dedicated circuit...  its not as difficult as you'd think.   I've got my wires run, I just need to have my friend come over and do all of the dangerous stuff. 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 02:16:21 PM »
if you own your living quarters, look into running a dedicated circuit...  its not as difficult as you'd think.   I've got my wires run, I just need to have my friend come over and do all of the dangerous stuff. 

indeed.  unfortunately for myself i wasn't able to do this as this is a condo, not a house.  that said I don't expect to be in my place for more than 2 more years and after that it's on to a house where I can do that :)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »

This is the best advice.  To hook up the "dagerous part" is not that difficult.  All you need to do is connect the ground wire and cold to the panel and run the hot (black) into the breaker and slide into place.  Just grow a pair  ;D

Take a look on Agon for used conditioners.  I've been waiting and waiting on an Audio Magic Stealth XXX, but am also looking at the old PS Audio P500.  There are a few ways to go (balanced, regeneration, passive) and hearing good things about the new PS Audio stuff, BPT, and Equi-Tech.

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »

I gutted and remodeled the downstairs of my home last winter and did exactly this.  I picked where my listening area was going to be and ran and outlet straight from the wall to the breaker box.  However I kind of lost my listening room and now thanks to my wife, a treadmill has the clean power.  Man I'm nice guy.

Shane

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
for what it's worth, i also tested this but didn't like it as much at the time - in a different house- but now that i have much better electrical work in my new condo i can afford to go backwards a touch in quality in order to save price and maximize outlets:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13435&section=equipment

I have the etp60 and really like it. It is very, very quiet - I can't hear any background noise even with a source selected, nothing playing, and my amp turned all the way up. I live in a 90+ year old building too. A lot of bang for the buck.

I'd like to get a unit with surge protection eventually but I am very, very pleased with the Furutech unit.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
BPT or Equitech.  Buy used or demo.  Balanced power doesn't seem to limit current.  If I had the coin, I would buy the new unit from Audience, but it is pretty darned pricey.  You can diy as well pretty easily if you aren't too afraid of burning down the house.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com