Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C1000s noob question  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Jeebas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I personally don't subscribe to that hocus-pocus
    • Wino Riot
AKG C1000s noob question
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »
Hey not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I just had a few questions---

1) I have a pair of AKG C1000s, and this may seem like a really mundane question, but how should I place the mics in the clips, I assumed just right before the usncrewable part as its more in the middle, as anything else would be too back or front heavy? I don't even know if thats a legitimate concern, moreso just wondering.

2) A buddy of mine was saying that in some of the smaller venues around here (pgh) its almost better to try and run split AB ( as DIN would basically just hit the walls given the size of these places) and try to get them as far apart as possible, but I have a pretty small tbar Olsen Audio MA-358 -- http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=256&prodid=669 so I can't really get them more than a few inches apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
"Pennsylvania - best known for its chief exports: coal and sadness"
Recording Rig: SP C4s > Edirol UA-5 (Digimod) > JB3
Bass Rig: Dean Edge Q5 > David Eden WT330 Time Traveler > Hartke VX410
All These Tapes Are Belong to Jeebas

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: AKG C1000s noob question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
Have you tried Pointing At the Stacks? Try it once... see if it works.

BTW, isn't that thread title a bit redundant?  ;D ;)

Offline Jeebas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Wino Riot
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:29:43 PM »
Have you tried Pointing At the Stacks? Try it once... see if it works.

BTW, isn't that thread title a bit redundant?  ;D ;)

Stacks are pretty much non existent where I will be taping but I get your point...

btw - Yeah very...  :P

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 05:52:31 PM »

2) A buddy of mine was saying that in some of the smaller venues around here (pgh) its almost better to try and run split AB ( as DIN would basically just hit the walls given the size of these places) and try to get them as far apart as possible, but I have a pretty small tbar Olsen Audio MA-358 -- http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=256&prodid=669 so I can't really get them more than a few inches apart.

Option 1: Use two stands.
Option 2: Pay some outrageous amount of money for a storebought solution.
OPtion 3: make something.

Got some basic tools, or a buddy who does?
- Go to hardware store, home depot, whatever.  Buy a piece of steel or aluminum flat bar about 1" wide x 1/4" thick x 2 feet long if you can find it.  If you have to, buy it 4' long and cut it in half.
- Grind, file, or sand down the sharp edges so when people walk into this they don't get hurt. Bleeding dancers are bad for taping kharma.
- Drill a 1/4" diameter hole near the ends.
- Get two of these things 1/4-20 to 5/8-27 thread adapters http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TMA-1
- Get a couple of 1/4-20 thumbscrews (don't use the rattiest old bolt you can find, like I did).
- Use good duct tape and tape it to of you existing bar.  Or better yet, drill holes through your new bar, and your old bar, and bolt them together.

Not sure if the directions make sense.  The end will look something like this picture:
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bedorthab

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »
While the c1000s mics are not very highly regarded by the high end guys, I have found them to make as good a recording when properly set up as any rig I have compared recordings to. The key is to have the mics at a 90 degree angle to them selves ie. 45 degrees off center from the stage, the hyper cardiod caps also help with cutting out crowd noise.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
While the c1000s mics are not very highly regarded by the high end guys, I have found them to make as good a recording when properly set up as any rig I have compared recordings to. The key is to have the mics at a 90 degree angle to them selves ie. 45 degrees off center from the stage, the hyper cardiod caps also help with cutting out crowd noise.

I've compared the c1000's to other rigs as well and found that I got a better mono recording with my current mic (before i paired it) than the c1000's did with stereo. I know they're often recommended as a good begining set, but I really think the money would be better well spent on Chris's mics. They're cheaper and better. Seriously. And they do lean toward the hyper side as Chris has stated, which will help with crowd noise. I just think he makes the best sounding mics for the price point, and you'd have to seriously up your budget to find something better. When I was still an MD patcher, the c1000's were my close friends first rig, and as I got into full taping I borrowed his mics on many occasions. Then I started comparing other mics to them, and I didn't come across one set that didn't blow them away. And I tried pretty much every config there is. And yes, the best all around angle for them is 45 off center, but still... for me the c1000's will always be like taking a set of really good mics and hanging a rusty can full of mud in front of them.

edit: p.s. I'm not a high-end guy by any means.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:08:00 PM by taper420 »

Offline Jeebas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Wino Riot
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »
Yeah I have heard alot of trash talked on the c1000s, but I got the pair for $150, and that was really all I could afford at the moment. Anyways the tape I pulled Friday night sounds pretty damn good as well... I already have the "check the Yard Sale everyday" itch goin on so I'm sure if a deal comes around I will upgrade soon.

Chris's mics? Are you referring to Church Audio?

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:43:23 AM »

Don't get me wrong.. the c1000's will make a pull that is listenable... but that's as far as I'll go with it.
Chris = Church Audio. Yes. Seriously... try to sell the c1000's and get a pair of his cards.... you won't look back. You can even get his 9100 preamp with the mics for only a couple bucks more than you spent on the 1000's.

Offline Jeebas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Wino Riot
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:22:11 AM »

Don't get me wrong.. the c1000's will make a pull that is listenable... but that's as far as I'll go with it.
Chris = Church Audio. Yes. Seriously... try to sell the c1000's and get a pair of his cards.... you won't look back. You can even get his 9100 preamp with the mics for only a couple bucks more than you spent on the 1000's.

Yeah but aren't those more for stealthing purposes? They're tiny as shit, my dumbass would break those in about a week

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
I ran C1000s at DIN or ORTF for a couple years... I pulled many listenable tapes and a few that I think absolutely kick ass and I still listen to today.

My favorite:  http://www.archive.org/details/sci2001-08-12.flac16

Location, Location, Location... get in the sweet spot and run 'em at ORTF.

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:51 PM »

Yeah but aren't those more for stealthing purposes? They're tiny as shit, my dumbass would break those in about a week

i don't think they are exclusively for stealth situations but they would do much better than a full bodied microphone.  check this members rig out http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84112.0.html , he runs a pair of Chris's cards, STC-11 i think is the name, just clips them to his mic bar, underneath his c1000s... good luck, hope this helps
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline Jeebas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Wino Riot
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »

i don't think they are exclusively for stealth situations but they would do much better than a full bodied microphone.  check this members rig out http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84112.0.html , he runs a pair of Chris's cards, STC-11 i think is the name, just clips them to his mic bar, underneath his c1000s... good luck, hope this helps

Definitely a cool setup there... I am kinda out of money, so upgrading mics/buying new ones is out of the question for me right now (and probably not until fall) and trading just seems like too much of a hassle... Just pulled a decent recording of my band's practice (half the reason why I bought gear in the first place) so I pretty happy for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks  ;D +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com