Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-R4  (Read 31574 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sonosax SX-R4
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »
Thought I'd start this thread for the discussion of the up and coming 8-track Sonosax SX-R4 recorder.

See the following links for more info:

Specs and diagrams from Sonosax:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SXR4.html

Videos from AES:
http://www.gearwire.com/sonosax-new-products-aes-vienna.html

From the Sonosax Website:
Preliminary Informations   

• Compact and Leight Weight 8 tracks Recorder on Hard Disk and CF Card
  • The ideal companion for classical music and on location multi-track recording
  • Recording capabilities:  44,1 up to 192kHz @ 24bits and 16 bits ( dithering )
  • Up to 8 tracks on the HD plus 2 tracks on the CF Card
  • Small and robust construction
  • Friendly user interface, easy maintenance
  • Battery or external DC operated

KEY FEATURES 

• 4x electronically balanced Mic/Line Input, XLR connectors
  • 2x unbalanced adjustable Line input on TA3 connector
  • 48V Phantom for Mic power
  • Pre LF Cut for rough wind conditions - PAD - Phase reversal
  • 2 Gain range and trim Gain control on the front
  • Channel linking of channel 1- 2  and/or channels 3-4 or all (1 to 4)
  • Limiter on each channel
  • 4 x AES Digital input ( 8channels )
  • TimeCode In & Out, all format
  • NTSC  Pull Up / Pull Down 0.1%
  • Wckl and Video Sync In
  • Wckl Sync Out
  • Unbalanced Stereo Line Outputs, on TA3 connector and Mini Jack for camera Link or additional monitoring
  • Headphone out on 1/4" Stereo Jack
  • Machined aluminum panel and carbon fiber housing
  • Dimensions: 176 x 44 x 138 mm / 6,93" x 1,75" x 5,43"
  • Weight aprox 800 grams ( 1,76 lbs ) with batteries
  • Powered by four AA batteries or external 6 - 15 VDC

Estimated price:             aprox Euro 3'500 -  USD 4'500 - CHF 5'600
Estimated deliveries:      automn 2007

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Sonosax SX-R4
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:35:09 PM »
Just sticking my head in on this thread.  I've been following this new recorder for some time now.  Very very interesting.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:56 AM »
Cool. 8tr recording? So I guess this is going to give the 744 a run for its money. If you build it they will come.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Sound Devices has to respond to this challenge.  Surely they are working on something.  Well, hopefully.  The SX-R4 does look like a really sweet piece of hardware: legendary Swiss craftsmanship, all the bells and whistles you could wish for, well almost, and compact.  Good price, too.

SD, are you listening???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:52:12 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:45 AM »
Each one of those Sonosax units is handmade because it is so small.  It will be awesome and incredible and all that, but I think that I will pass at the $4,500 price point.  I read somewhere else that it would cost 4,000 Euro, which will push it well above the $4,500 range with the terrible exchange rate right now.  Still, 8 tracks of recording ability at that size and level of craftsmanship is something to look at.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
The Sonosax home page says US$4,500.  Check it out.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:59:17 AM »
Here's a pic from the 7x team board that Jaledu posted from the Nagrit website.  The SX-R4 is the bottom unit, the top unit is the soon to be released SX-M32 which is a 3 to 2 channel mixer (I guess to compete with the SD 302)

LMA Recordings

List

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
Just checking in so I can follow this thread.

I'm  planning on upgrading to a 744 around this time next year. If the SX-R4 turns out to be in the same league, I might go that way instead.

Way too early to tell.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »
Looking at this block diagram, it looks like this will only have two channels with pre-amps.? Was hoping it would have four.

http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SX-R4.pdf
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra. Both are scrambling now to produce recorders/mixers that can compete with the digital non-linear offerings of SD, Zaxcom, and Aaton. This isn't a bad thing, more competition is good, but when you look at 4/8 channel hard drive recorders Sonosax is about 5 years behind. SD was able to pull off getting into the game on price/features, Nagra has so far failed pretty miserably (but you can never count them out).

Because a lot of these units are used in films and wireless mics are starting to be used more and more, the emphasis recently has been on increasing channels using line inputs. You have the Cantar with 8 tracks, Zaxcom with 8/10 tracks (16 coming later this year), and so I would expect SD to have something in the works to compete with the growing number of channels.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline H₂O

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
Looking at this block diagram, it looks like this will only have two channels with pre-amps.? Was hoping it would have four.

http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SX-R4.pdf

Note in the diagram that shows inputs 1 or 3 are top and 2 or 4 are bottom.  My interpretation is that to save space on the diagram the combined the inputs just on the diagram.  If you look at the diagrams of the physical unit there are 4 XLR inputs on the left side and that all 4 input have lowcut, 48V, etc switches. 

The other two analog inputs are unbalanced and on the right side of the unit on a TO3 connector.

Left side diagram:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/sxr4_left.jpg

Right side diagram:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/sxr4_right.jpg

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:53:40 AM by campbrs »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:45 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra.

while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.  but if we're talking about Nagra, Zaxcom, and Aaton, then the MiniR82 certainly is well within the price range of those units.  the thing with the MiniR82 is that you need a custom break-out cable for all the inputs.  my guess is that there is more demand for a deck with standard XLR inputs, and thats why they're coming out with this now.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »
while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.

I had forgotten about that unit. You're right though, the price keeps tapers away from it, while the size and breakout cable keep it from being used much on-location. Regardless I think we're going to continue seeing more and more channels being added to recorders, unfortunately I think most will be line inputs because channels are being added for all the wireless units being used.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra.

while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.  but if we're talking about Nagra, Zaxcom, and Aaton, then the MiniR82 certainly is well within the price range of those units.  the thing with the MiniR82 is that you need a custom break-out cable for all the inputs.  my guess is that there is more demand for a deck with standard XLR inputs, and thats why they're coming out with this now.

I absolutely love the MiniR82.  Inputs 3&4 (either as line-in or digital-in) are on a standard 1/8" stereo plug.  Mic-in is on unusual Binder connectors and for digital-in channels 5-8 you need to wire the dongle that comes naked with the machine.  Sonosax was of minimal help in doing this, or getting powering accessories, or answering questions, or servicing the machine or upgrading firmware.  Judging from the time delay between sending them emails and getting responses, their tech guys must be located well outside the solar system.  While I expect the SX-R4 to be a great machine, the service issue will keep Sound Devices far ahead for many users, I expect.  But the only small unit at all comparable to the MiniR82 is the Sony D-1, and Sony's response to D-1 users needing help is also pretty lame.

By the way, the MiniR82 was announced in early 2005 to be coming out in the fall of 2005, but wasn't out until fall of 2006. So I wonder exactly when we'll see the SX-R4 ship.

Jeff

Offline SonicSound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »
So I wonder exactly when we'll see the SX-R4 ship slip.
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com