Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121315 times)

Offline Keyser Soze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
I'm really surprised this little unit didn't take off more, from everything I've read it sounds like it's a really nice little recorder for all the stealth'rs out there.  I guess people just decided to keep their R09s, since those were already paid for.  *shrug*

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
1. Choosing line in the preset menu without connecting anything in the line in jack and putting the machine into rec-pause already gives me this -50dB reading in the meters.

I think the -50 dB is likely just the bottom of the range the meter measures.

the PMD620 meters go a bit below - 60dB
Mmm... Even if Marantz says it's normal I think it's a bit too much
Does the R-09 or R-09 HR behave the same way ?

thanks for the answers

No. The R-09 levels stays very quiet. Bu appreciate the fact that the R-09 only goes to -40 if I remember right.

For what it's worth, my Zoom H2 has a lower limit of -48 dB.  According to Dede2002, the R09 has a lower limit of -40 dB.  The 620 goes down to -50 dB.  All are pretty well in the same ballpark, so I don't see what the problem is.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
1. Choosing line in the preset menu without connecting anything in the line in jack and putting the machine into rec-pause already gives me this -50dB reading in the meters.

I think the -50 dB is likely just the bottom of the range the meter measures.

the PMD620 meters go a bit below - 60dB
Mmm... Even if Marantz says it's normal I think it's a bit too much
Does the R-09 or R-09 HR behave the same way ?

thanks for the answers

No. The R-09 levels stays very quiet. Bu appreciate the fact that the R-09 only goes to -40 if I remember right.

For what it's worth, my Zoom H2 has a lower limit of -48 dB.  According to Dede2002, the R09 has a lower limit of -40 dB.  The 620 goes down to -50 dB.  All are pretty well in the same ballpark, so I don't see what the problem is.

Now I'm at home and can be more precise: the R-09 has lower limit of -45db, not -40db like a said before.
But the 620 goes down to -60 actually, not -50db.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2008, 04:51:03 AM »
Aaronji my post was not a question regarding how low are the recording meters on the -dB recording scale on all the different recorders.
I just wanted to ask if on the PMD620 when you configure it to use line in and press rec/pause I see some signal coming in between -60dB and -50dB. I experience this :
1. if I don't have anything connected in the line in
2. and with a cable connected but no signal passing

So I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. If this is the normal noise floor on the PMD620 while using line in I find it high...I'm sure my 1990 old DAT TCD-D3 had a better S/N ratio :)

Also the function 08-Silent Skip on the preset options which allows you to pause the recording when silence is detected, only works with the  -20db or -38db settings, if I try to set it at -54db or -60db the recording never pauses, because of this self noise using the line in.

Can someone try and see if this happens too?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:40:22 PM by efksound »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2008, 04:17:35 AM »

So I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. If this is the normal noise floor on the PMD620 while using line in I find it high...I'm sure my 1990 old DAT TCD-D3 had a better S/N ratio :)

The 620 measured to have a lot of low frequency (not so audible) noise that could visibly rattle the VU's noticeably.

In retro-perspect, all those Sony DAT decks cost at least two times more and weren't designed as done today with current 1-chip CODEC IC wonders by disassociated (mis-managed) engineering groups scattered all over the globe. 

It does seem that these products are being patched together without anyone looking back at what is actually working as expected or not, letting the trusting customers discover all those loose threads in the hardware and software.

No, those were the days when a single team of designers and closely monitored production staff were held accountable by one or two project managers for 'crossing their technical T's and dotting their I's' to refine a product's as shipped quality now seems gone as we experience the new world 'global' way of doing business.  Prices are dropping, profits are way up, and quality is fading fast.   

I've heard even Nagra has embraced the single CODEC IC recorder craze and has produced a real piece of crap for the first time.

Lately the only real quality seems the descriptive words in marketing ads that after purchase are found  fictitious seeming more hype than anything else.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline hydrobud

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
you kill em !!  we chill em !!

Offline TheGame

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »
Im new in this game, but im the process of getting myself a taping gear. My first taping would be Def Leppard in May which will be outdoors. However, I will mostly use it indoors.
This pmd 620 seems quite neat, but i wonder how big this issue regarding gain levels are. Im thinking of using this along with a bb and church ca-11 mics. Since the recorder is less sensitive, would there be problems getting good levels without a pre-amp? I hoped to avoid the pre-amp since the use would be "loud" music ( rock aka Queen+PR ,def leppard), but perhaps this will be difficult without a pre-amp with this recorder. Any thoughts or suggestions for a newbie?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:37:12 PM by TheGame »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2008, 03:05:29 AM »
Im new in this game, but im the process of getting myself a taping gear. My first taping would be Def Leppard in May which will be outdoors. However, I will mostly use it indoors.
This pmd 620 seems quite neat, but i wonder how big this issue regarding gain levels are. Im thinking of using this along with a bb and church ca-11 mics. Since the recorder is less sensitive, would there be problems getting good levels without a pre-amp? I hoped to avoid the pre-amp since the use would be "loud" music ( rock aka Queen+PR ,def leppard), but perhaps this will be difficult without a pre-amp with this recorder. Any thoughts or suggestions for a newbie?

DEFINITELY will work fine for recording anything amplified (deck mic input likely set at -12/-24 dB) without needing additional ext. preamp gain.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »

DEFINITELY will work fine for recording anything amplified (deck mic input likely set at -12/-24 dB) without needing additional ext. preamp gain.

I agree that with the STC-11's and mic-in, you should be OK in virtually any situation.  I have tried this in a variety of settings (from acoustic jazz trios to loud rock) and haven't experienced any problems.

If you are running line-in for quieter shows, though, you might want to consider a pre.  I just taped John Scofield on Saturday night (STC-11 > ST-9100 > PMD620); it was moderately loud (but quiet by arena rock standards), and I needed about 10 dB gain from my pre.  The recorder was set at -12 dB, so I guess that would have covered the gain from the pre, but anything quieter might have been a problem.

I would post that Sco tape, by the way (turned out great), but it is my understanding that he allows unobtrusive taping but no posting?  Anyone have a better idea about this? (Sorry to veer off-topic) :)

Offline TheGame

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
I will only go line in i guess, so i think im getting problems with some songs without a pre-amp ( the more quiet ones). I think the Edirol is better suited for my use then (because of better sensitivity), or should i just give the more roboust pmd620 a go.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:52:35 PM by TheGame »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
I will only go line in i guess, so i think im getting problems with some songs without a pre-amp ( the more quiet ones). I think the Edirol is better suited for my use then (because of better sensitivity), or should i just give the more roboust pmd620 a go.....

In my opinion, you'll be OK with either for the sorts of bands (Queen, Def Leppard) that you mentioned.  But if you anticipate recording a lot of quiet stuff (like piano jazz trio or something), get a pre if you go with the Marantz (or go mic-in).

Have you seen the R09HR thread(http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100541.0.html)?  It could be worth waiting a month or two, if you are not in a rush.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2008, 01:34:19 AM »
My firmware-upgrade-damaged PMD620 is history as I got mail yesterday telling me NO WARRANTY covers the damage BUT I could get a new mainboard etc. for 388 € HAHAHAHAHAH!
A new PMD620 costs 349 € here in Europe..........

Well..... I use my 2 rockboxed irivers which do a great job and are the most easiest gear to tape with using "safety-clip".
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:37:24 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
My firmware-upgrade-damaged PMD620 is history as I got mail yesterday telling me NO WARRANTY covers the damage BUT I could get a new mainboard etc. for 388 € HAHAHAHAHAH!

Well..... I use my 2 rockboxed irivers which do a great job and are the most easiest gear to tape with using "safety-clip".
 ;D

Seriously, this is absurd. :o
Sorry to hear that, friend.
+T
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »

;D

Seriously, this is absurd. :o
Sorry to hear that, friend.
+T

I AGREE! 

Fact is, unless specifically checked out by Marantz repair service to be "user's abuse not covered in warranty, the electronic circuit mechanisms for reprogramming the deck's firmware that are INSIDE your deck seem defective, and this should be fully covered by terms of the warranty.

I would get back to Marantz and remind them of their responsibility to cover defects in workmanship!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »
I would get back to Marantz and remind them of their responsibility to cover defects in workmanship!

Agreed!  You should harass them until they either fix it or give you your money back.  I would call, and if the person you speak with can't help, ask for their supervisor.  Maybe more effective than e-mail.  I think this is just scandalous. 

Did they give you any reasons why they think this was your fault and not theirs?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com