Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09 "Battery Low" even with new batteries  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Ballistica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
R09 "Battery Low" even with new batteries
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:07 AM »
No matter what type of battery I put in my R09, or whether it is correctly set to NIHM or Alkaline, I get "Battery Low" when trying to boot the unit.  I can boot it from AC power, but no battery (fresh or fully charged Ni) boots...just a "BBattery Low" message and then screen goes blank.  Any thoughts?  I hope it's not broken.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: R09 "Battery Low" even with new batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:18:40 AM »
Are the contacts clear & clean in the battery housing?  Door closing properly?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ballistica

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
I thought that might be the issue and rubbed them clean with my finger, but I'll get in there with a q-tip and see if I can clean the lower ones. Door seems fine, too...but it is a bit fragile.  I can't remember any door trauma but who knows.  Thx for the quick reply.

Offline Ballistica

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
Cleaning the contacts with a q-tip and some alcohol did the trick.  Thank God I had a second unit for the Mule show!  The contacts looked clean, though...I guess the buildup is something you can't see.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
Cool, good to hear that fixed the problem.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
Glad you got it fixed. If that ever happens to me, I'll know what to try! ;D Thanks, rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
Sorry to hijack, but it looks like this thread is resolved anyhow...

Can someone recommend a good brand of rechargeables that work well in the R09 (and other electronic devices)?  Also, I am currently running lithium batteries in my R09...what selection should I choose in the battery selection menu?  Alkaline or NI-MH...technically, lithiums aren't either, right?  Alkaline is what I chose....
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
i use 2600 mah energizers that i bought off the shelf at best buy.

in my experience, nimh is nimh.  just get the most milli-ampere hours (mah) currently available, don't get suckered into some unreal priced "deal" for 12 batteries at 2000 mah.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but it looks like this thread is resolved anyhow...

Can someone recommend a good brand of rechargeables that work well in the R09 (and other electronic devices)?  Also, I am currently running lithium batteries in my R09...what selection should I choose in the battery selection menu?  Alkaline or NI-MH...technically, lithiums aren't either, right?  Alkaline is what I chose....

ditto sleepypedro here.  You'll get a good long runtime on the rechargables over standard alkalines too.  I haven't run the lithiums (well I did once) - they may last a bit longer than NiMH.  The menu setting only effects the accuracy of the remaing charge indicator.  I'm no expert, but I believe the voltage profile of a lithium cell stays flatter until it drops off precipitously at the end of it's life, so the indicator will probably show good charge and then go south fast at the end.  That's OK as long as you know 'how to interpret the indicator' so you know how much charge you've got left.  I believe lithiums have the highest voltage, alkalines second and NiMH slightly lower but I may be completely off there.  If that's correct, I'd guess that the alkaline setting is closer to acurate when using lithiums .

Offline jim90501

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »

On the camera forums Sanyo eneloops were getting rave reviews. They're a NiMH HYBRID.
I bought a set of them (Walmart 4 1900ma with charger) for $18. I also bought a set of
the $5 MIR.  My R09 has run for about 5 hrs with the Rayovacs. My camera has had
the eneloops in it for nearly a month with 700 pictures.  Thats better than any alkyline
has ever done.

Time will tell if these new HYBRIDs can really hold a charge a lot longer than
the regular NiMHs. Google it for details.

But if you are looking Costco is handing out a flyer/coupon for Nov 23 - 25 (IIRC) that
has the Sanyou eneloops (8AA and 2 or 4AAA), charger (I like the Sanyo better than the
Rayovac, look a lot alike, but the Rayovac will get the batteries hot), some C and D holders
and a case for $19.99. FYI

thanks
jim cowan

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »
Awesome!  Thanx for your replies!
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com