Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)  (Read 49837 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2008, 07:22:41 PM »
Anyone running a pre in front of this?  I ran Sonosax>FR-2LE the other night results were less than stunning. 

Are the mic trim knobs disabled when going 1/4 in and phantom off?  I wold think so but wasn't sure.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:58 PM »
Anyone running a pre in front of this?  I ran Sonosax>FR-2LE the other night results were less than stunning. 

Are the mic trim knobs disabled when going 1/4 in and phantom off?  I wold think so but wasn't sure.

I have..

v2>rca out> ts in on fr2le..  The trim knobs are disabled when running with phantom off "line in"..   

I ran a comp once.. one set with v2, one set without and to be honest the difference isnt astounding.  the v2 made it a little tighter, however it was less open sounding.  that could be because the signal is running through more electronics though.. 

Although, my point might be moot because my unit is an oade tcm modified one.. 

why do ya say the results were "less than stunning"?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »

I think it was operator error.  I had the gain really cranked on the sax, b/c it didn't seem like I was getting levels on the fostex, so I have some distortion in places.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »

I think it was operator error.  I had the gain really cranked on the sax, b/c it didn't seem like I was getting levels on the fostex, so I have some distortion in places.

ah yes..  when I ran the v2 in front the first time, I ran the v2 pretty hot and it "looked" like I was bouncing off zero the whole time..  In reality, I was clipping throughout the whole recording (verrrrrrrry slightly)...  I have been running the fr2le (with the v2 in front) at about -4 or-5 since with good results.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »

I have run my Wendt in front of it for Ratdog. I liked how it came out. I am going to run it this spring with and without the pre for a comparison.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »
I am looking at getting a Fostex FR2-le and am wondering if I should hang on to my AD-20 for the pre, or go without and use what the recorder provides? Seems like most here run mics>Fr2-le, but there are some that add a pre to the chain. Thoughts? TIA.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »
I haven't heard a stock one yet, but i've read (here and elsewhere) that it is respectable and doesn't' brickwall all that easily.

anyone?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
I am looking at getting a Fostex FR2-le and am wondering if I should hang on to my AD-20 for the pre, or go without and use what the recorder provides? Seems like most here run mics>Fr2-le, but there are some that add a pre to the chain. Thoughts? TIA.
you can't run a ad20 with a fr2le because the ad20 has no analog out and the fr2le has no dig in
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
you can't run a ad20 with a fr2le because the ad20 has no analog out and the fr2le has no dig in

+T

Well that about does it then as they are not compatible. I'll get the fr2le, sell my Denecke gear and then probably get a Busman mod and hear how it sounds.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »
I had a weird thing happen with my FR2LE last night. At the end of the show, I stopped the recording and it appeared to save and write the file fine. Then I went to power down. Held the power switch up for the usual few seconds, and nothing happened. The display stayed on, the unit stayed powered on. I tried playing with the switch a number of times, holding it up for a LONG time. Nothing worked. Eventually, I had to just yank the battery to get it to shut off. I think my file is saved fine, but I haven't checked yet. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I will do some testing this evening... kind of scary though.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »
dont recall ever having that happen to me.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »
has anyone ever had any problems shutting down the unit?  it has happened to me twice where the unit wont shut down, but i stop the recording fine, pop out the flash card and then shut down. info is not lost on the CF card.
anyone know whats happening?

fortunately i have not been able to cause this to be repeated.  but afaik, if the recording is stopped, the CF cards can be "hot swapped" or changed without shutting down the unit... What do others think of this practice?
the one time i did it was the time quoted above, but no data was lost.

luke
I had a weird thing happen with my FR2LE last night. At the end of the show, I stopped the recording and it appeared to save and write the file fine. Then I went to power down. Held the power switch up for the usual few seconds, and nothing happened. The display stayed on, the unit stayed powered on. I tried playing with the switch a number of times, holding it up for a LONG time. Nothing worked. Eventually, I had to just yank the battery to get it to shut off. I think my file is saved fine, but I haven't checked yet. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I will do some testing this evening... kind of scary though.

still have not had it happen again, but it happened, was scary, and i thought oh f***.  The show was fine.  i took out the CF card before popping out the batt and nothing was lost. 

was your battery low?  how long was it on, not that that should matter, but we should get to the bottom of this.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 12:07:39 PM »
has anyone ever had any problems shutting down the unit?  it has happened to me twice where the unit wont shut down, but i stop the recording fine, pop out the flash card and then shut down. info is not lost on the CF card.
anyone know whats happening?

fortunately i have not been able to cause this to be repeated.  but afaik, if the recording is stopped, the CF cards can be "hot swapped" or changed without shutting down the unit... What do others think of this practice?
the one time i did it was the time quoted above, but no data was lost.

luke

still have not had it happen again, but it happened, was scary, and i thought oh f***.  The show was fine.  i took out the CF card before popping out the batt and nothing was lost. 

was your battery low?  how long was it on, not that that should matter, but we should get to the bottom of this.

The battery was fully charged before the show. The show was 2.5 hours long. It was a 4200mah RC battery, so there was MORE than enough juice. It still showed nearly full when I pressed stop at the end of the night. Interesting that the same thing happened to you. I wonder what it could be. What batteries do you use?

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
when it happened to me i think i was using a 7.2v 3300mah NImh Rat shack rc battery.

my other battery is a NICD 7.2v 2000mah.  maybe it was this one and the setting was wrong on the fr2le?  but i dont think i have ever used the NIcD batt. 

i had just run for a 2.5 or so hour show where i turned off the machine at set break and powered back up fine.  the battery may have been a bit low as id run it for a few shows, but was no where near dying.  hmmm :hmmm:
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
I just made a couple of test recordings of the home stereo, constantly bumping the level meters off of 0, with an OL or two. Listening to the recording through a wav editor, I hear a crackle at the OL spots. The rest sounds fine, but the waveform looks like there was a lot of clipping. The side LED was at -3 almost constantly. I take it this is not how y'all are running the unit? Do you just try to get the levels near, never touching, 0 (assuming 16-bit)? I guess I've been spoiled by the metering of my Rockboxed iRiver - most accurate metering I've ever used.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com