Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archiving: Do You Save Your Raw Master File, Just the FLACs, or Both?  (Read 11331 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
For archiving my masters, I've been saving my raw 24bit master along with the FLAC files of the final 24 bit master and then back both up on a separate harddrive which I store in an off-site location.  I don't save the 16bit versions since they're derivatives from the 24bit master anyway and can be re-created later if need be.

It occurred to me today that after several years of using this practice, I don't think I've ever once gone back to my raw master file and re-used it for any reason.  I've used the FLACs (mostly to make 16bit versions for burning CDs), but not the raw master. 

When I originally saved the raw master, I had the idea that I should keep the raw master in case I ever wanted to re-master the show.

Now since half of my archive space is being taken up by these raw masters, I'm wondering if it's a waste of harddrive space to save the original raw master since I have all the FLACs in two places anyway.  If I needed to, I could re-build an un-cut version of the show, but of course it wouldn't always be the same as the raw master although I try not to do too much post-processing to my shows. 

I'd probably still keep all of my M/S raw masters (where one channel is the mid and the other is the side), since those can't be reverse engineered very easily.

Anybody else have strong feelings one way or the other about keeping their raw masters? 

If you keep them, are you like me in that you never use them?

Offline fuzzypants

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Recordings
Re: Archiving: Do You Save Your Raw Master File, Just the FLACs, or Both?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »
granted I have no where near as many masters as most of you do what I've done is kept the master wavs and burn them to dvd then put the dvds in box then in my closet..nothing fancy but it keeps them off site on something that hopefully will stand the test of time.
F-P

007 rig: SP-CMC-19 > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09HR
Non 007 rig: Sony DCR-SR200 Camera & SP-CMC-19 > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09HR

Might tape

05/08/2010 - John Valby
06/04/2010 - Fear Factory, Prong, Silent Civilian and Thy Will be Done
07/30/2010 - Tower of Power
08/04/2010 - Shinedown, Chevelle, Sevendust, 10 Years and Puddle Of Mudd

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
Keep the raw....  takes up space.... but??  If you trash anything, I'd trash everything but the raw master.  Keep something to listen to that's a finished product....  but keep the raw!  That's my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:52:39 PM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
If I don't do anything more than normalizing and track splitting, I see no need to keep the orignal one track master.  If I eq'ed and otherwise tweeked with the show then yes, I would keep the master...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline imgoinmad

• Taperssection Regular
    • Production House Media
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
hard drives are cheap
Field:
Schoeps CMXY4V>Oade Basic Mod Marantz PMD-671
CSB>Sony PCM-M1

Multitrack:
Digidesign 002R/Behringer ADA-8000/5 x Mackie HR-824's/1 x Mackie HRS120/Blue Sky BMC/Mackie Universal Control Surface
Dual ASUS 24in/Mac Pro 2x2.66ghz 6C Xeon/Mac OS 10.6.8/Pro-Tools 10+CPTK/Fostex D-5

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3043964/
http://www.productionhousemedia.com

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
granted I have no where near as many masters as most of you do what I've done is kept the master wavs and burn them to dvd then put the dvds in box then in my closet..nothing fancy but it keeps them off site on something that hopefully will stand the test of time.

Fuzzy...unfortunately, DVD media can be amongst the most expensive and least reliable forms of long term storage.  I've got MANY DVDs and CDRs failing to read after less than 5 years...many only 1 or 2 years old. 

Offline fuzzypants

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Recordings
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
Fuzzy...unfortunately, DVD media can be amongst the most expensive and least reliable forms of long term storage.  I've got MANY DVDs and CDRs failing to read after less than 5 years...many only 1 or 2 years old.

really? welp guess I'm saving up for another HD lol

thanks for the heads up
F-P

Might tape

05/08/2010 - John Valby

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »

really? welp guess I'm saving up for another HD lol

thanks for the heads up

Yup...thats really what you want to do.  Two hard drives with info backed up from one to the other is considered one of the best ways to do it.  When one of the drives starts acting up, time to get a third drive and just keep that cycle going. 

If I'm not mistaken, the problem with DVDR and CDR is that, over time, the 'burn' kinda seeps so that the tracks on the disc can't be read reliably.  I have no idea if this is what happens, but in my mind I see it kinda like an aging tatoo that loses it's crispness on the edges.

Some people use the logic that hard media is more reliable than harddrives because harddrives fail.  Well, it's true that harddrives fail, but the thing you should NEVER do is rely on a single harddrive to keep your important data.  Redundant storage is the answer to reliability.  I go the extra step and keep the second drive in a separate location in case of catastrophe such as fire or flood.  Then monthly or so, I'll synch my two drives. 

Like I said, first clue that one of my drives is going on the fritz (which hasn't happened yet) I'll be out there buying a new harddrive.

Offline fuzzypants

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Recordings
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »
never thought of it like that thanks for the heads up..now to wait a month for black friday
F-P

Might tape

05/08/2010 - John Valby

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
I flac the untracked edited mater (not raw) and burn them to dvd.   as for regular archiving I keep 24 and 16 bit flacs on 2 different harddrives and I burn those to dvd as well.  I need to get a fire and waterproof safe to store them all in (drives and dvds).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:11:01 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:27 AM »
My workflow:

Convert raw master to 16/44 with Audacity and save new 16/44 file.
FLAC raw master.
Burn raw master FLAC with text, FFP, and WAV MD5 to DVDR.
Copy raw master FLAC with text, FFP, and WAV MD5 to external HDD.
Open new 16/44 file in CDWave, cut tracks and save.
Flac new 16/44 tracks.
Burn new 16/44 FLACs with text, FFP, and WAV MD5 to DVDR.
Copy new 16/44 FLACs with text, FFP, and WAV MD5 to external HDD.
Seed to BT.ETREE.ORG as appropriate.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »
I back up all the raw wav files on a DVD, then back up the flacs, 24bit untracked and 16bit untracked files on another DVD.  I had a 320 GB drive, and its almost full but that's mostly recent stuff.  There's not enough room to store everything on one external drive.

I have gone back and retrieved old raw files when I felt that something needed a serious improvement in post-production. 
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 03:13:23 AM »
I've got 2TB of RAID for my recordings. I don't keep anything backed up on optical media. Some stuff I burn audio cd's of, but those are disposable in my mind. I usually listen once or twice and give them away.

As far as what to keep, unless I do a lot of processing or a multi-track recording, the original 24/96 files get erased once I've checked the tracked 24/96.

I use Soundforge to join and then put marks into the original file. I save the tracks in 24/96 then resample and dither to 16/44.1 (mostly just so I can seed) then save the tracks again for the lo-rez version. I MD5 both sets of wav's, then flac it all then make a 2nd md5 for the flacs. Once that's done the raw files get canned.

It is also important to me to keep the file structure organized. Each band has it's own directory, with sub directories for each show date. For each show the folder has the flacs, wav and flac md5's and a txt file, then a sub folder with the 16 bit fileset.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
i stash all of my recordings (24/48) as raw masters on an external H.D. (Terra) -- Staples on sale for $120.00!

I don't know what else to do with them -- they live quietly in their own cave as 24/48 raw masters.

sometimes -- I don't even listen to them

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 06:33:18 AM »
hard drives are cheap

Agreed.  I don't even FLAC my masters. I keep 'em raw and archive them to a hard drive.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com