Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's every body listening on at home?  (Read 10999 times)

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
Re: What's every body listening on at home?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »

Onyx Reference 1A loudspeakers

Onyx as in Warfedale Onyx? or Onix ref speakers? Not familiar with a brand using the Onyx spelling (save for MB Quart's car ref series)... Just curious.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
My brain fart; Onix (as in the former AV123), which was a great company until Mark Schifter got greedy, committed fraud, was jailed, and killed a really good company.  AV123 bought Onix around 15 years ago from the esteemed UK company Rogers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:41:40 PM by thunderbolt »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
More than you all want to know I’m sure, but who else in the world would even care that I used to series-parallel wire four speakers off one amp channel to drive 8 speaker surround playback from a 5 channel input home theater amp?  Only you all, maybe.

Not counting-
Currently unused stuff packed away (2 and 4 track recorders, old amps, disc players/burner DSPs, EQs, bunch of speakers, other odds and ends, the sweet rebuilt turntable I bought from Moke a several years back still sits packed in it’s armored cardboard box!.. my foot dragging, long story, thanks Mike!).

Stuff in current use which counts-

Sources-
Laptop S/P-DIF output via one of several USB boxes.
Recorder direct output from R-44 or DR-680 via S/P-DIF (2ch) or analog RCA (multichannel).
Silver discs via S/P-DIF from laptop drive or a couple component players (Sony, Panny).
Radio (analog terrestrial) via internal tuner in Panasonic receiver.

Which go through-
Mytek Stereo 96 DAC/headphone amp (thanks Audball)
-or-
Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver (S/P-DIF or 6ch RCA analog input, 7 amp channels, 100Wpc nominal)
and a Sony receiver for one additional amp channel.

Converted into sound again by-
Headphones-
Senn HD650 or  Etymotic ER4S/P
-or-
Speakers (8 total around the room, no subs)-
4 x B&W 802 matrix v3 (Left/Center/Right/RearCenter*), 2 x B&W surrounds and 2 x Klipsh book shelves (model numbers of both escape me at the moment) as parallel wired Left/Right surrounds; Klipsh at ~90-110 degrees from center, B&Ws surrounds in dipole mode farther around the back at ~140 degrees approximately.

I re-patch input interconnects and speaker cables depending on the desired speaker configuration:
1) Direct 2ch stereo (the Panasonic self-configures with internal relays, bridging unused amp modules internally and biamping, providing 200Wpc to the woofers, 100Wpc to the tops nominal, probably not really)
2) 5 - 7ch matrix surround (un-bridged 7x100Wpc nominal, but not really)
3)  Discrete 4, 5 or 6 channel surround (6 channel discrete uses the additional Sony receiver amp channel*).

Almost all of my 4 channel surround recordings are LRCB.  Discrete 3 front channels to the Left/Right/Center speakers, with the single recorded Back channel mult’d and routed to all 5 surround speakers (the Klipsh’s at the sides, the B&W surrounds in dipole-mode farther back and the extra 802 which is the mate to the one used up front in the center, at the rear center).

My 5 channel surround recordings and movies or other commercial surround material looses the CenterBack 802, and splits the remaining 4 surround speakers into two parallel wired L/R pairs.  If I had an easy way of matrixing a center rear from the discrete L/R surrounds I probably would, but the Panasonic can’t do that.

I’ve made a handful of 6 channel surround recordings which can be played by routing the (6th) CenterBack channel through the subwoofer input/output RCAs on the Panasonic so I achieve level and tone control over all six channels, which feeds one channel of the  Sony receiver amp, which is used as a single amp channel only, its level knob set appropriately and then left untouched. 

*The CenterBack B&W802 is the extra speaker of the second 802 pair, the other used as the Center speaker up front.  It is amplified by the Sony receiver, which is all that receiver does.  Believe it or not, I used to playback my discrete 4 channel surround recordings through all 8 speaker powered by the Panasonic alone.  Using individual amp channels for each of the 802s (left, right, center, rear-center) and running the 4 remaining surround speakers off a single amp channel using series parallel wiring.  It worked fine, but there is less patching required for 5 and 6 channel, more headroom, and although the series parallel load was not a problem, I still rest easier with the side surrounds simply paralleled and the Sony powering the Center Back 802.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »
I have this weird "room" in my house. Took me a little bit to figure out it was perfect for the listening room.  It's too small for anything "normal" but large enough for my modest sound system...which is 90% used for vinyl playback. The other 10% is Google Music >tablet > bluetooth > amp. It has my soundsystem, media and a single chair in it.

Turntable: Sumiko RM 1.3 (w/Sumiko Pearl)
Amp: Music Hall a15.2
Speakers: Epos ELS 8

Bluetooth playback: Google/Asus Nexus 7 > Logitech Bluetooth Receiver

Thinking about upgrading the amp and possibly the phono cart at some point in the near future. Probably will go with some tubes for the amp...but stick with a MM cart.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »
Sounds like a cool sound closet fort capsule.

To add a twist to my sound fortification command module, it's setup on a diagonal in the room. The 3 mains out on the floor and the surrounds along the diagonal walls and rear corner with a 'V' shaped sofa.

When friends stop by for a listen we sit like this-

But determined in blind testing that the helmets veiled the midrange transparency unacceptably so now we dress more casually-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:51 AM »
Nice Gutbucket ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 01:32:15 AM »
Believe me, the yellow Crocs are a critical tweak for getting giant soundstage, dude!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 02:22:07 AM »
Believe me, the yellow Crocs are a critical tweak for getting giant soundstage, dude!

Definitely. You GOTTA have the yellow Crocs 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dmb2much

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Receiver:   
Yamaha RX-A3000
CD Player:
Yamaha CDC-905
Speakers:
Boston Acoustics VR40 (FL, FR) Bi-Amped
Boston Acoustics VR12 (C)
Boston Acoustics VRS Micro (RL, RR)
SVS Subwoofer 25-31PCi (Sub)x2

HDtracks and other 48K/96K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit playback:
Home built Win7 PC > Foobar v1.2 WASAPI out > ASUS XonarDX S/PDIF Digital Output > TOSLINK > RX-A3000

Controlled by my iPhone  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:19:26 PM by dmb2much »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com