Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: getting into recorded  (Read 11289 times)

Offline BklynBagel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
getting into recorded
« on: April 08, 2004, 01:13:55 AM »
I'm looking to putting together my first recording rig. due to my budget of about $500 I'm sticking to the MD format. everyone i talk to suggests the sony MZ-R50. say whiles its older, its still a slamming recorder, and cheap to boot. for a mic someone told me Core does a good Binaural mic for $90 or a set of high-end i guess and a battery box for $260.

biggest thing i need help on is finding a good pre-amp and a battery box, since i probably will have to pass on the $260 Core set
any help would be amazing, and wondering what people think of this rig so far. granted it wont be AMAZING but if i can make good recordings i can enjoy at home thats fine by me

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:getting into recorded
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 01:19:24 AM »
do a search for giant squid binaural

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 01:24:36 AM »
i dont see a set of Binaural. only omnidirectional and cardioid

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 01:44:41 AM »
My personal suggestion with a $500 budget:

CSB > Battery Box > JB3

The Core Sounds are $230. If you want the switchable battery box $260.

JB3 = $200 refirb w/ shipping (eBay).

That's $460(tops), so you can spend $40 on a nice little Lowe Pro bag.

I know the JB3 mic preamp sucks. but it's not *horrible*. You could always upgrade to the Deneke pre-amp / A/D later (or something similar).

Good thing about that setup is that if you upgrade to a full size preamp and mics later you can use the CSB > JB3 setup for Stealth.

I don't know about you but almost 50% of the shows I tape are stealth. It's nice to have the option.

Good luck,
MIKE B

PS. Trust me as EX-MiniDisc taper. The JB3 is AWESOME. So nice to be able to set my levels during the first song, and then go enjoy the show. Best $200 I've ever spent. Don't get an MD. You will regret it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 01:46:52 AM »
i dont see a set of Binaural. only omnidirectional and cardioid

you are correct

omnidirectional it is!

I feel ashamed, although I was trying to emulate how I thought they listed them ;)

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 01:54:05 AM »
for less than $200 shipped, the jb3 wins hands down over MD.  I just switched from MD to jb3, well worth it.

that leaves you $300 for mics and mic power.  you could go core sounds setup, giant squid setup, as well as soundpro's set up with roughly similiar results. personally I recommend the at831's (sp-cmc-2) from www.soundprofessionals.com with their batt box, but that's because that's what I have and they are beyond satisfactory, I know schwillster will back me up.  :)
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 02:28:07 AM »
There's some Mraz shows with SP mics (i think the cmc 2's) > batt box > JB3 that Jon Koch taped.  They're up on the archive in 2003.  I liked them a lot and was considering going this route, but decided to go full rig instead.  Check 'em out and see if you like them!
Mike

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 11:50:28 AM »
Nice Avatar, moke.  Man those things freak me out!  (then again, so does camel toe)

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »
mics and battery box for sale in our very own yard sale for $200... that and the $200 for a JB3, you've got $100 for case/batteries or what have you...

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=16795
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:03:16 PM »
To actually ADD something to this thread, I'd actually look to get a relatively cheap analog preamp.  You should be able to stay within budget.  I think you'll find it MUCH MUCH cleaner than using the mic preamp in the JB3.  The A/D in the JB3 isn't nearly as bad as the mic pre circuit.

It's a lot of boxes: mics->batt box->analog pre->JB3.  Not terrible, though.  I ran this for a bit, and really didn't think it was that bad. Walked away with some good tapes while I was at it, too.

J

jimmc

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 12:14:53 PM »
To actually ADD something to this thread, I'd actually look to get a relatively cheap analog preamp.  You should be able to stay within budget.  I think you'll find it MUCH MUCH cleaner than using the mic preamp in the JB3.  The A/D in the JB3 isn't nearly as bad as the mic pre circuit.

It's a lot of boxes: mics->batt box->analog pre->JB3.  Not terrible, though.  I ran this for a bit, and really didn't think it was that bad. Walked away with some good tapes while I was at it, too.

J

I agree.  I am currently running an analog Nakamichi MX100 into my JB3 and I think it sounds pretty nice.  I never did try out the JB3 mic pre, but I cant imagine it would compare to an external preamp.  Start w/ the analog pre, then upgrade to an AD-20 or UA-5 in the future.  Thats what I hope to do someday.
Jim

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 02:48:41 PM »
first i wanna thank EVERYONE for helping. trying to put this rig together before Coachella, that show being my inspiration to get this done obviously.
so right now here is where it stands:
Mic: Giant squid Cardioid set/comes with battery box
I'd grab the pair of binaurals off the yard sale but they dont have the clips, which i'd need.
unit: JB3(can someone please list the full name so i can find it somewhere)
pre-amp: still looking for a suggestion

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 02:59:54 PM »
 Creative Nomad Jukebox 3

You can find refurbished ones from Creative on eBay real cheap.

Offline BklynBagel

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 03:14:20 PM »
ok I did the rundown on the NJB3. and at least for Coachella it doesn't fit the bill. says i get about 3 hours recording time and theres likely close to 8 hours of stuff there i'm looking to record. alternate suggestion?

also I've been looking at the pre-amps at soundpros site...which would someone recomend?

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 03:30:30 PM »
8 hours is going to be tough for anything I think.  Unless you go MD, which would be a huge pain for 8 hours with all of the discs you'd need.  If you go into the power forum there's a long thread about power options for the JB3.  What you could do is get a total of 3 batteries (the JB3 holds two) and swap one out during the show.  Should get you around 9 hours.
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com