Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How long before you trust your JB3  (Read 10400 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
How long before you trust your JB3
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »
OK, ran my JB3 for 2 sets last night for its maiden voyage. . . Still having driver issues on the home PC, but have it successfully transferring to a work machine.  FLACing the raw 48k files, and gonna take 'em home and play with 'em tonight.  I ran KM184>V2>ADC-20>DA-P1>coax>ODL-276>JB3.  That's a lot of crap.  How long have you guys been doing the DAT backup before you hit the field with only the Nomad?  I've got two out-of-town shows this week, and I'd love to get my stuff back down to one bag. . .

Sloan

P.S.  WHOOO-HOOOO!! I LOVE this thing!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: How long before you trust your JB3
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:24:47 PM »
I trust my jb3, but if I had them I'd run 2 da-p1's in case of tape problems. ;D

Seriously though, better safe than sorry. I'd rather carry the extra weight than go home with nothing.

I also like having something to fall back on in case I do something stupid (like delete the wrong file off the jb3)

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »
I've ran the JB3 4 times so far, and every time I also ran my D100 "just in case". The 1st 3 shows went off without a hitch, the 4th I somehow didn't get the JB3 recording in time...and didn't realize it until halfway through the 1st set. The DAT saved my ass that time....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »
Hmmm.  Well one of the gigs this week will be crawling with tapers, so maybe I'll go JB3-only for that, and run the DAT+JB3 for the one that I may be the only taper. 

I just gotta retire this P1 at some point . . .

Sloan

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:47:50 PM »
Well, I figure I gotta give it up before it gives up on me. . . I just repaired my DAT for about $80 (friend prices), but with the Nomad running me $180, I just can't see repairing the thing again.  I'm not gonna sell it or anything, it'll remain at home and get trotted out when I need to run a second 'tape' for a soundboard (only to post-mix with the AUD, I'd almost never listen to straight soundboards), and for any emergency situations. . .

But I'm just as wary of digi-noise and snapped tapes from DAT as some folks are of hard-drive recording.  And I'm really looking forward to not having to spend the money for DAT tapes.  I already have to buy enough CD's for a SHN archive copy to go in the drawer + an audio copy to listen to for everything, and I tape 1-8 bands a week, so. . .

Sloan

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »
yeah, I know,..... I'm just a scared dinosaur. Gotta face reality at some point.

just not with something called the "nomad jukebox 3". sorry. stopped counting at like 10 "jb3 problems" posts. and apparently a warm fart will cause the thing to shut down. :P

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:14:42 PM »
yeah, I know,..... I'm just a scared dinosaur. Gotta face reality at some point.

just not with something called the "nomad jukebox 3". sorry. stopped counting at like 10 "jb3 problems" posts. and apparently a warm fart will cause the thing to shut down. :P

Most of what I've heard about shutdowns were from heat/sunlight, though, no?  I only tape outdoors about once a year.  I tape at venues where the doors don't open 'til 11:00 pm. . . And Moke's venues seem to be seriously climate-controlled. . .

Sloan

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »
yep, outdoors only. swanny has had zero problems with his, too, even outdoors. only observed problem was a shutdown I saw in 85 degree heat.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 07:59:13 PM »

How many DAT problems can you find? 
I ran both my M1 and JB3 for a couple shows, I don't use the M1 anymore unless it's a venue where I can run a SB and mics. 
I've haven't spent any money on DAT's for a while...also have a pack of Lithium Energizers sitting on my desk that I've had for a couple months. 
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 08:05:17 PM »
I haven't had a single problem with the jb3.  with a d8, i had plenty of problems.  I don't think I will ever run tape.  i may move to a laptop, but i won't ever run tape.  It is just not economical.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 08:24:44 PM »

I ran both my M1 and JB3 for a couple shows, I don't use the M1 anymore unless it's a venue where I can run a SB and mics. 
I've haven't spent any money on DAT's for a while...also have a pack of Lithium Energizers sitting on my desk that I've had for a couple months. 

Amen.  I was using the D100 before the JB3 and will never look back.  Never had one problem with the JB3 and I've been using it for a while.  As with anything electronic, it will have over heating issues (or issues in general) when direct sunlight or heat is on it for lengths of time.  I bet those 10 problems are either software compatibility issues, rare mechanical problems, or just plain stupidity on part of the user.  I'm newish, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to DAT. 

(Please no flaming.  8) )

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 08:30:58 PM »
had the jb3 for over a year now without a single problem or issue. also, every issue i've heard of containing a jb3 was about a refurb..i bought mine new.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
Turns out that first run last night wasn't a complete success. . . Got some dropouts which, after process of elimination, figured out was 'cause  I was running the Hosa off a 6v SLA, knowin' full well it's supposed to have a 9v (apparent stoner move) . . . Patched the JB3 to the DA-P1 tapes of last night but with the AC adapter connected to the Hosa, and the problem went away. 

So luckily I -was- still running the DAT, but I'm off to tape the same two bands tomorrow night, so I think I'll have it goin' on (still running the DAT though  ;) )

Sloan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 09:21:13 PM »
I know that I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with my DAT that wasnt self caused, and quite honestly, I like having a tape so that when I screw up and fat finger the keyboard and delete the file by accident, at least I will have that backup. 

I know eventually I will move to a HD medium....but I dont see the JB3 filling my need, based on the shit level meters, making it usless to me for stealthing when compared to the D100 and remote. 

That being said, it is encouraging to see that at least one non-HUGE dollar manufacture has figured out how to record a digital signal...hopefully some of the other MP3 machines will figure out how to do it themselves....

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
i ran my m1 for three shows after i got the jb3 and ua-5.. i stopped running the m1 for space issues - it wouldn't all fit in one bag.. while i wasn't completely confident in the jb3 yet.

hexyjones

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 08:03:44 AM »
Well - mine is a refurb and has been a bit testy...but not enough to deter me. I want to send it back...but I almost can't bring myself to part with it!!

I have gotten a few dropouts - like CD skips- on one recording...I'm still on the "first tank" i.e. I havent filled up the nomad yet...I havent deleted anything...But being a refurb---I suppose the HD could need a defrag(although you would think they would do that in the factory.)

Also - I think if I just hold my nomad for too long - the heat from my hands will make the unit hard to start...

And - I cant get the battery to charge or work...(thats the main reason I'll send it back)

I assume running on battery generates a fair amount of heat? I wonder if these issues go hand in hand?

Once running...no problems at all...dreamy...

I figure I have already saved...10 DATs worth of tape and cash...

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 09:16:24 AM »
I haven't had a single problem with the jb3.  with a d8, i had plenty of problems.  I don't think I will ever run tape.  i may move to a laptop, but i won't ever run tape.  It is just not economical.

I'm sellin' one................sorry, I'm a slut who needs to sell!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 10:58:04 AM »
I know eventually I will move to a HD medium....but I dont see the JB3 filling my need, based on the shit level meters, making it usless to me for stealthing when compared to the D100 and remote. 

Good point.  I've all but given up on stealthing, but I wouldn't wanna use it to stealth at all.  I'll keep a buddy around with an M1 or D8 for that  8)

Sloan

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 11:57:44 AM »
I'm most of the way to trusting the JB3.  I love not having tapes floating around my bag.  Only problem I had so far ended up not even being the JB3 - I lost the mic signal because my UA-5 battery pooped out and didn't have enough juice to send a signal (although it had just enough juice to keep the power and phantom lights on and make me think it was the JB3).
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 02:14:47 PM »
I know that I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with my DAT that wasnt self caused, and quite honestly, I like having a tape so that when I screw up and fat finger the keyboard and delete the file by accident, at least I will have that backup. 

That being said, it is encouraging to see that at least one non-HUGE dollar manufacture has figured out how to record a digital signal...hopefully some of the other MP3 machines will figure out how to do it themselves....
I've never had an issue with my M1 either...and I NEVER make mistakes on my Pc, so I've got nothing to worry about..hehe....
I really don't have any problem with the meters on the JB3 either, there are no numbers on it, but after using it a couple times you know where they are supposed to be. 
Tough to beat the M1/D100 with remote for stealth though!   

Chapper
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2004, 05:44:37 PM »
I really like my JB3... have taped many shows with no problems.  The only issue I've ever had was overheating at a DMB show... but it was hot as hell and in my infinite wisdom I left it in a small enclosed fabric case.  When I realized the issue I took it out to "breathe" and it functioned perfectly for the rest of the show.  Oh... and I didn't lose any data when it shut down from overheating.  I trust it more than my friend's D7, and a hell of a lot more than my old MD.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 06:43:02 PM »
I've ran the JB3 4 times so far, and every time I also ran my D100 "just in case". The 1st 3 shows went off without a hitch, the 4th I somehow didn't get the JB3 recording in time...and didn't realize it until halfway through the 1st set. The DAT saved my ass that time....

not being a dick, but how do you "forget" to hit record on the jb3, w/ the proper firmware, i know you can see a counter of some kind ???

hmmm, that sux :'(

ummm, i ran a dap1 only a few times after i got the jb3 w/ it, because i got a jb3 because 1. i had no more money to buy media :P
2. would never get around to transferring the dats
3. trust it after only a few uses :)

so i say go w/ it, just be confident you know the firmware and you'll be fine :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 11:29:58 AM »
Success!!! Ran the JB3 patched out of the DAT (184>V2>ADC-20>DA-P1>ODL-276>JB3) for two bands (Lona and Now It's Overhead) last night with no problems!

Gonna give it a go DATless tomorrow night for Stockholm Syndrome.  Figure if I really do screw something up there'll be other tapers there, whereas most of the stuff I tape is only me. . .

Thanks for all the responses.

Sloan

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 01:02:50 PM »

not being a dick, but how do you "forget" to hit record on the jb3, w/ the proper firmware, i know you can see a counter of some kind ???

I didn't really "forget", so much as I just hit the play/record button instead of holding it down. I was watching the levels on the V3/D100, and not really paying attention to the JB3. Finally realized it wasn't recording about 30 minutes later...

Complete bonehead move on my part...and in no way a reflection of the reliability of the JB3. Just a good example of why it's not a bad idea to run a backup.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 06:05:49 PM »
I ran no backup the first time I used (and every show since) the JB3....and I'm still not feeling 100% trusting but pretty close.  The first few times were scary!

I do love the no buying tapes and REALLY fast transfers but also kinda miss having that TAPE.  Oh well...price ya gotta pay I guess.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 11:01:47 AM »
Never had a portable DAT, so perhaps I should just shut-up...

But, I bought a new JB3, and have only had a few problems.  All have been fixed by using the reset button/hole in the back (yes, I carry a paperclip in my bag) before starting up.  I figured it was just jarred from the car ride and needed a reset.  No big deal...

I have had it overheat once.  I ran it continuous for about 6 hours (2 three hours tracks) in the pleather pouch while transfering some 78s to it.  When I went to transfer the tracks to the computer, it would shut down about halfway through...  I unplugged it all, took it out of the pouch and went and ate lunch.  No problems upon my return...

A friend had overheating problems at a very hot bar.  He had his JB3 in a flight case to protect from wooks/beer, but it got too hot in there...  Thankfully he wasn't the only one at that Stockholm show in SC...

Considering the cost efficiency, it is a great stop-gap measure.  I intend to use mine until it breaks and then replace with a "real" HD recorder...  But until a HD-DAP1 or something like that comes out, the JB3 will have to do...

I also like the fact that I can use it as a portable USB HD - I take docs and pix home from work all the time...

I do sometimes wish I had a DAT though, but with it moving out and the expense of upkeep, I'm glad I got a JB3 instead of a D8 or M1... 

As for the metering, you get used to it, but it could be vastly improved...  Why not run the meters the width of the screen instead???  Damn firmware...  I saw someone, YEMNCSU Josh methinks, using one of those plug-in meters mentioned eleswhere and that seemed to fix it, but that's just one more item to carry/power...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 09:47:35 PM »
I trusted my JB3 right away.  After researching and reading stuff on JB3 forum I had no reason to not trust it.  Brought it to vegas for the phish shows and no problems any nights.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2004, 10:17:28 PM »
I totally trust my JB3....it's the operator that I have a problem with...  ;)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2004, 12:15:18 PM »
i used my jb3 for the first time last week, and backed up with the d8.

1st set i forgot to roll tape with the d8, but the jb3 was fine.

the d8 came in handy for levels  :)
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2004, 12:11:23 PM »
Here's another example of why still using DAT as a backup can come in very handy:

I was taping Sunday night, set my levels during the soundcheck, and then powered everything down. Fast forward 2 hours later to showtime. I (being the bonehead that I am) turn everything back on, start recording on the D100 and the JB3. About 30 mins into the set I noticed the "Max Record Time" on the JB3 screen said 10 hours. "Hmmmm", I thought...that's interesting. I'd just updated the firmware the night before, and thought that might have upped the record time.

Then I realized what had happened. After powering it down, I never re-set the recording format...I was pulling the show at 128k MP3!

Needless to say, the FLACs are from the D100>Audiophile 24/96 transfer.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2004, 10:28:52 PM »
Then I realized what had happened. After powering it down, I never re-set the recording format...I was pulling the show at 128k MP3!

having to set that shit back every time is my #1 JB3 gripe. i'm considering external power just so i can leave my JB3 on during breaks so i don't have to.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2004, 11:44:38 PM »
Here's another example of why still using DAT as a backup can come in very handy:

I was taping Sunday night, set my levels during the soundcheck, and then powered everything down. Fast forward 2 hours later to showtime. I (being the bonehead that I am) turn everything back on, start recording on the D100 and the JB3. About 30 mins into the set I noticed the "Max Record Time" on the JB3 screen said 10 hours. "Hmmmm", I thought...that's interesting. I'd just updated the firmware the night before, and thought that might have upped the record time.

holy shit, howd you fill up 10 hrs of music w/ it set on mp3 ???

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 01:39:51 AM »
I've used mine w/o DAT backup for...dunno...8 months?  Not a single problem  except for those from my own idiocy.  Just did a full weekend festival (Rockygrass) and had two power problems (big surprise:  completely my fault, nothing unexpected from the JB3).  No overheating problems, but it was cold and raining most of the weekend!  This was my first time running my opti-modded V3 and I haven't had a chance to transfer/listen yet, so...I'll know if the V3 mod worked well sometime next week after I have a chance to listen to some of the recordings.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 10:23:59 AM »

holy shit, howd you fill up 10 hrs of music w/ it set on mp3 ???

No, it only filled up like an hour or so (however long the actual recording was), but the Max Record Time display in the lower right hand corner that normally displays 3:00 when recording 44.1 WAV, showed 10:00 when recording in MP3.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »
ahh, i see, i thought it maxed out on you and you filled the HD, thanks :)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2004, 11:03:10 PM »

Amen.  I was using the D100 before the JB3 and will never look back.  Never had one problem with the JB3 and I've been using it for a while.  As with anything electronic, it will have over heating issues (or issues in general) when direct sunlight or heat is on it for lengths of time.  I bet those 10 problems are either software compatibility issues, rare mechanical problems, or just plain stupidity on part of the user.  I'm newish, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to DAT. 

(Please no flaming.  8) )

I've had two instances where my jb3 didn't pull a full set, and they both were due to my stupidity.  One time I didn't hold down the record button (or check to see that the timer was running), and the second it overheated because I had it in a heavily padded walkman case and I let it run through the setbreak.  I would say a JB3 is a VERY dependable recorder.
Matt
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:06:36 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2004, 12:06:58 AM »
Never had a problem with mine.  Taped in a bar last night in Raleigh, AC was busted.  It couldn't have been more hot or humid in that room.  No problems with the JB3 in a closed Lowepro Nova 5.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2004, 12:54:36 AM »
I've had two instances where my jb3 didn't pull a full set, and they both were due to my stupidity. 

It seems almost every JB3 problem is due to that same reason...good old fashioned operator error. It may be that the technology is so new, most of us haven't gotten completely used to running it yet. Where as we could all probably use a D8, DAP1, M1, etc. one handed with our eyes closed.

I look forward to getting it down pat...goodbye tapes and "real time" transfers.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2004, 10:20:46 AM »
enjoy nick, you'll never look back :)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2004, 02:58:10 PM »
I have found that the level meters REALLY suck, but I still kind of snicker when I walk past my DAT deck sitting on the shelf at my apt.  ;D . . .

Sloan

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2004, 03:37:39 PM »
you evil man, you ;)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »
you evil man, you ;)

I still haven't shoved it into the back of the closet under the extra blankets, but it's been moved to emergency-only duty.

Just gotta spend the cash on the level meters.  Sorta hard to tell the difference on the JB3 between way too hot and way too low. . .

Sloan

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2004, 10:10:44 PM »
no doubt, i def love it w/ all the blinky lights on the v3, so easy to tell

if i didnt have the v3, id def be running those level meters for sure :)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2004, 10:16:34 PM »
no doubt, i def love it w/ all the blinky lights on the v3, so easy to tell

if i didnt have the v3, id def be running those level meters for sure :)

The blinky lights are why I bought one.  ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 12:40:16 PM »
Just gotta spend the cash on the level meters.  Sorta hard to tell the difference on the JB3 between way too hot and way too low. . .

Sloan

Invest in a svu-1/2 and you will be very happy with your levels.  They really work nice.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »

Sloan

Invest in a svu-1/2 and you will be very happy with your levels.  They really work nice.

Matt

It's coming out of the very next paycheck  ;) . . .

Sloan

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2004, 11:40:21 PM »

It's coming out of the very next paycheck  ;) . . .

Sloan

Just let me know if you need some help setting it up, or do a search for "diy level meters" and you will find a lot of Q&A
Matt

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2004, 02:26:40 AM »

Late arrival..

I've used my JB3 exclusively @ about 30 shows.  Real flawless now with the optical upgrade.  All my problems were related to the CO2, and those dissapeared after switching to a Hosa.  I bring the D10 Pro to shows where I can get a board patch, and run that out of the board, and the JB3 with the TLM170's->V3.  Now if I can only decide which multitrack software to use to synch the board with the mics and do a post process matrix.  Using the stage lip blumlien, there's no delay to worry about.  I may start plugging the mics into the snake and doing live matrix's that way (oh great, now I gotta buy a mixer too...).

Rick

4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 72 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com