Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix - How would you do it?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
Re: Matrix - How would you do it?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »
heres how i do it... i take from 2 - 4 recording devices + mics... one will be off the board and the others will be mics around wherever i want. It will all be recorded seperately, then when i get home, i get all the sources into my computer and use cubase/protools/DP or whatever to mix them all together correctly, EQing each mix as i go to be able to come out with the best final mix.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »
Got it.

To clarify, when you say
Most boards will have either a 1/4" or XLR main or matrix out, which is the ideal feed to take if there is no tape out.

On these "most boards" I'm assumming this will be both L AND R whether it be XLR or 1/4", correct? i.e. if there is XLR matrix out there will be two male XLRs coming out of the board.  One labeled right and one label left, correct?

Also you said "if there is no tape out."

So in order of priority I should choose.

1. Tape or record out (same thing?)...again I'm assumming this will be two outputs (one for L and one for R)
2. XLR main or matrix out.
3. So if he is using all the matrix/bus outputs and there are no RCA tape outs am I out of options?

I apologize for all the clarification but I just want to come armed with some solid knowledge and provide them with a quality matrix or aud.  This band always guest lists me +1, puts ALL my drinks on the bands tab and just recently has offered me backstage passes to a small festival drawing some fairly big (but old) names.

Thanks.

Main outs will generally be a pair of pan-able mono outputs labeled left/right that are already being sent the same mix controlled by the board's master fader.  Matrix outs will generally be numbered but not specifically assigned any particular feed or "left" or "right" pan settings.  The engineer will make those assignments (i.e., sending the house feed to two of the matrix out mono outputs and setting the pan knobs), which will feed to either a pair of male XLR or female 1/4" connections.  With a tape out, the assignments are all pretty much set except for gain which is usually only one knob for both L/R if the board has tape outs.  For that reason alone, I always prefer the matrix outs for more control in the event that the relative gain of the left and right channels of the PA mix are imbalanced due to an asymetric room.

If he is using all the matrix/bus outs and there is no tape out, there is still the possibility of him patching the feed through to a couple open channels (if there are any) on the board.  I would guess that he will be using some combination of direct and matrix/bus outs if he is running 8-16 tracks, because that is usually not enough channels to catch every input discreetly for most bands (drum kits alone could have as many as 16 inputs if it is a huge kit and everything is being mic'ed).  A 8-16 track mix in this case will probably have at least the drums grouped to two matrix/bus outs (stereo) and if the band has more than two vocals, their inputs are also likely to be grouped to one (mono) or two (stereo) of the matrix/bus outs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:16:31 AM by easy jim »

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
Awesome reply easy jim +t.  That really helps and I think ends all my questions.

This is just a garage band, total low dollar stuff so I'm guessing this set-up won't be too elaborate so I'm sure I'll have plenty of outs to choose.  I'm fairly certain they didn't hire some sound engineer with a major set-up.  They do have great potential and are really catching on so I guess anything is possible, especially if it's being done partly as a "favor".  I think they are really good but sloppy as hell.  Some serious time together and they have some fantastic potential.

I'll see when I get there.

Thanks, again.

easy jim

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »
Awesome reply easy jim +t.  That really helps and I think ends all my questions.

This is just a garage band, total low dollar stuff so I'm guessing this set-up won't be too elaborate so I'm sure I'll have plenty of outs to choose.  I'm fairly certain they didn't hire some sound engineer with a major set-up.  They do have great potential and are really catching on so I guess anything is possible, especially if it's being done partly as a "favor".  I think they are really good but sloppy as hell.  Some serious time together and they have some fantastic potential.

I'll see when I get there.

Thanks, again.

No problem, and good luck.  I guess you hit on one of the reasons other than free promo that bands benefit from having tapers around: being able to hear themselves, learn, and improve.

happy taping

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com