Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE  (Read 8826 times)

Offline greenlight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
I'm hangig on sonicyouth forum. Somebody from there sent me a web adress to this forum in connection with taping/recording thred, i've create, just because finally I bought minidisc, always wanted to record so I wanted to know where and what mic to buy. I know here must be allready lots of sticky thread about it and tons other stuff for dummies, but if somebody would point me  some good (small stereo mic for taping shows) mic - certain mic on certain page, I would highly appreciated. Don't want to buy off ebay, but new.

Thanks!

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »
Welcome! Here's a good place to start where you can find some more info on taping as far as gear.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
he, thanks very much fsulloway!
ehrmmm, i still don't know, which one should I go for (for a beginner like....something small), hmm something certain (model), coz honestly you's know tell me straight away, coz you must be like home here by now.

thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
ehrmmm, i still don't know, which one should I go for (for a beginner like....something small), hmm something certain (model), coz honestly you's know tell me straight away, coz you must be like home here by now.

thanks!

You should check out the Retail space forum I have a sale on right now for a set of mics and a preamp. You should also go to soundprofessionals.com they have some great gear as well. I would not be afraid of buying used around here there is a section called Yardsale.. You might find some great products there as well at a good price. There are many options for recording live music. The users here are very helpful and I am sure you will get set up in no time flat.

Good luck

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

thanks!

Do some reading, educate yourself.  Nothing is worse than having someone else telling you what to do.  I understand that there are so many options it may be overwhelming...

First question to ask your self is how much money you want to spend.

Second question is how serious you want to be about this.

Third, is whether or not you want to tape openly (mics where everyone can see them) or stealth (hidden mics)

After some thought on those subjects, you'll be better armed to ask about specific gear. 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
You should check out the Retail space forum I have a sale on right now for a set of mics and a preamp. You should also go to soundprofessionals.com they have some great gear as well. I would not be afraid of buying used around here there is a section called Yardsale.. You might find some great products there as well at a good price. There are many options for recording live music. The users here are very helpful and I am sure you will get set up in no time flat.

Good luck

Chris Church

thanks, I'm going to check that page and also section Yardsale!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »
First off, Welcome! You've stumbled upon a gold mine of great information and even better people.  The first thing you need to do is determine how much money you'd like to spend.  From the description you gave you wanted a small, stereo microphone that easily connects to your mini-disc.  I would recommend this sony microphone

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=ECMMS907

I used this mic with my minidisc recorded when I first started and was pleased with the results.  It two different settings which lets you adjust the "width" of the recording, and it will plug right into your minidisc.  Runs of a AA battery or two, so powering it is a breeze.

Have fun,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »

Good luck

Chris Church

thanks, I'm going to check that page and also section Yardsale!

Some really good mics are AT 853 they sound great and will cost you about $150 a pair used.. Also check out AT 831 a good set can be had for around $100 Used. you will need a battery box they are about $30-50 Used. Or you can check out my package no pun intended for $149.99 There are many options as its been stated here already you have to know what type of recording you want to do. What type of bands do you like? How often are you actually going to record? What type of recording do you want to do OPEN? that means having permission to record the show from the Artist. Or Stealth recording. Self explanatory... What type of MD recorder did you get?

Chris Church

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
Do some reading, educate yourself.  Nothing is worse than having someone else telling you what to do.  I understand that there are so many options it may be overwhelming...

Third, is whether or not you want to tape openly (mics where everyone can see them) or stealth (hidden mics)

After some thought on those subjects, you'll be better armed to ask about specific gear. 

Terry

Ahhh, I'd rather chat this thing up.

1. i've no idea how much are mic like, but let's say 100 eur.
2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth)
3. well, that's the question. can I record openly? eventhough most of the bands are not against taping venues are. what to do? (I'd say some small mic.)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

That does not even look like me...... I was actually trying to help this guy out. And not nessicerily sell him my stuff :) Are you sure that's not you in the picture?  :P

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:18 PM »

Terry

2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth)
3. well, that's the question. can I record openly? eventhough most of the bands are not against taping venues are. what to do? (I'd say some small mic.)

If you only have $100 eur to spend I would get a set of Audio Technica 831'S they sound pretty dam good for the price I am sure there are a few members here that have already upgraded and would be willing to let them go cheap. I would also strongly recommend a battery box with a bass roll off. This is a good starter package if you post in the Yard sale ISO AT 831 AND BATTERY BOX... I am sure you will get a few people wanting to sell..

Chris Church

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »

Terry

If you only have $100 eur to spend I would get a set of Audio Technica 831'S they sound pretty dam good for the price I am sure there are a few members here that have already upgraded and would be willing to let them go cheap. I would also strongly recommend a battery box with a bass roll off. This is a good starter package if you post in the Yard sale ISO AT 831 AND BATTERY BOX... I am sure you will get a few people wanting to sell..

Chris Church

sounds great Chris!
thanks!
yeah, i'll definitelly check out that yardsale.
i'd say there's lots things to learn about taping (and i thought it's easy....just plug and press the button).
why not, i would pay even little bit more.
and what's the story with that power box. is it like a extra power with some changig record level knob on it (didn't know about that)? is it necessary (i'd say yes)?

i've got sony Net MD MZ-N707 (so nothing special, no dat recorder, hehe)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:01:49 PM by greenlight »

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 06:02:33 PM »

Microphones range in price from $20 to $5000+.  100EU = $131 right now.  There are a lot of options at that price range.  The Church Audio mics are in that price range, as are various Sony, Audio Technica, etc. mics. 

2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth).

Are you serious enough to stand in one place the entire concert to record it?  Stealth mics may require you not move in the slightest (hat-worn mics WILL have issues if you turn your head to look around).  Standing still for 90min. during a concert where you want to dance is VERY hard.

Sonic Youth allows open taping.  I'm not sure of taping in the UK, but if its a venue issue, you should ask the venue owners.  Or stealth.

Terry

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:05:37 PM by twatts »

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
:lol:

welcome aboard!

thats all, carry on.....

cheers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com