Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (My) Solution for R-09 jack problem  (Read 3183 times)

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
(My) Solution for R-09 jack problem
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »

Hi all
I made this "R-09 front guard" to protect the R-09 input jacks from damaging the non-ideal, internal jack soldering caused by unplugging/hitting jacks and/or cable pulling.

FUNCTIONS:

AGAINST STRAINING JACK FROM EXTERNAL HITS :

The box is 2mm thick solid plastic and the jack inside has plenty of free space. It was white plastic- the black colour is contact paper, electrical tape etc. When the guard is pressed lengthwise against the R-09, the point of contact between box and the R-09, falls on the rib-like structure around the internal mics. Extra padding (tape) was applied to the guard at this point of contact. This seemes to me the only way to completely isolate the jacks from any external hits. Any other point of contact between guard and R-09 is good except the jacks.

AGAINST STRAINING JACK FROM CABLE PULLING :

The input jack inside the guard/R-09 is right angled (shorter than straight jack). The  cable passes along the side of the r-09 and out of the guard. The cable is stuck with electrical tape to the R-09 lengthwise. You can pull it and it doesnt effect the jack. Electrical tape is very "kind" to materials and does not leave glue residues. Aluminium tape has been suggested by one meber for better resistance to leaving residues in heat etc. I'm going to try it out.

This particualr cable used in the photo goes into the ST9100 pre. *But any other cable can be used, e.g. right angle (at R-09's end) ending into female jack (into which mic jacks can then be inserted).*

HOW TO BUILD:

A plastic box in which the R-09 fits in snugly into the bottom lid is needed. The top lid has to be cut accordingly to enclose/ isolate the input jack. Closing top and bottom lid should then be at the correct height/leeway required to isolate the jack. The bottom and top lids can then be glued together for stronger build.

The L-shaped area right on top and at the side of the internal mics, is just black contact paper. The internal mics are covered, as there's no point in having them if the mic/line jacks are being used.

The box increases R-09's total length (which includes the right angled jack) by only 5-7mm, hiding the internal mics and protruding jacks for better stealth. In this case, the R-09 fitted snugly in, but to secur better to the box, a strip of eletrical tape at the sides will hold it them together. I will eventually cut holes at the back of the box for ACG/low sens etc. switches. This "front guard" protects the R-09 enough so that no additional carrying case etc. is required.

ATTACHING A PRE-AMP:

A pre-amp can be now be attached with velcro to the bottom lid instead of the R-09 itself, especially useful since the R-09 has paper thin back.

WHERE TO FIND:

I found the plastic box in an old toolbox! It was for some vitamins for pigeons, long out of production. My father, who is a pigeon fancier, wasn't happy to give it up. I don't have other extra boxes- if I had, I would more than gladly send them out. Nor did I find any links to the product (though out of production), but I'll keep searching.

Please note:

I'm not selling/making these boxes!! I happened to find the right box- I have no other. If you find a good box and decide on making one, I'll be more than glad to help out. I'm only sharing my idea.

Hope this idea helps anyone who might try it

Kind rgds and thank you to all... you kind and helpful wizards on TS.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:14:53 AM by pool »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com