Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: static in one channel  (Read 1421 times)

Offline bobcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
static in one channel
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:43 PM »

hey there..im having a real problem finding out whats causing static in my right channel on my AT'S

first i thought it was the battery box but it turns out its not that. but after some inspection i think i have it narrowed down to the connector on my mics. when i jiggle it i am getting static a bit in the one channel.

it only happens a bit at a show..i saw the cure last thursday and the first encore i got a bit of a mess during  a few songs in the one channel! (its on dime if u want to hear it)

i twisted the silver male part of the connector and it was  a bit loose! do u guys think it was that causing the static? i tried to wiggle the wire again but its seeming to be ok...but its kinda dodgy cause it can be ok anyway ! baah

its really weird cause it doesnt happen often
maybe i should just get that connector replaces anyway to be safe

any thoughts???
 thanx

Offline jacobmyers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
Re: static in one channel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:13 AM »
 I'm not sure what equipment you're talking about (Audio-Technica microphones?) but no matter what type of connector you're talking about, it should probably be replaced. Given that it's pretty difficult (with adult-sized hands) to reach inside an XLR connector to see if the male parts move around, I'm going to presume that you're talking about a phone plug.

If you're able to move (or twist in any way at all) the male part of a modern (press-fit or moulded) phone plug while holding the body still, it cannot be reasonably repaired and should be replaced. Yes, you can get a few more hours more out of (some makes of) loose phone plugs by putting needlenose pliers on the tip/rivet and carefully squeezing to tighten things up. This is a "band-aid", though, and (on 1/8" connectors especially) it's pretty easy to squeeze too hard and destroy the connector. It's really easier to just replace the connector if you notice this fault during a routine equipment check.

If you're lucky enough to have field serviceable connectors, you can just tighten the small screw attached to the "tip" of the connector (on the inside of the body) and you're golden. I haven't seen these in a long time, though, and I've never seen them in 1/8"... Whatever. Just replace your loose connector and be done with it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:25:42 PM by jacobmyers »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: static in one channel
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
I think you answered your own question by mentioning you have a connector that, when you jiggle/move it, you get static ;) Replace that sucka and move on. Actually, youd better check the other one as well, and probably replace them both w/ better HQ components if I were you ;)

When it comes to recording cables/mic cables/etc, if you dont have the knowledge/precision to do it yourself, spend the $$ on a set of SUPER HQ cables that someone here on ts.com can make you and be done w/ it forever. You may not want to spend the $$ on a pair of cables, but IMO cables are just as important as any other component in your recording setup IMO. If a cable fails on you, you are SCREWED. So dont forget to seek out HQ cabling and you'll NEVER have to worry about that probllem again ;) I have ALWAYS bought HQ cabl;es for my recording rig, and they have yet to screw me over in ANY WAY ;) I even started out w/ Audio Magix X-Streams XLR's when I bought my AKG 481's and my Graham Patten DMIC-20 back in the summer of 1999. Ever since I have kept along the tradition of buying the best cables I could possibly afford(Leegeddy made me a pair in 2005 and recently IO had the greatgumbino make me a pair of SUPER HQ Actives and 20' XLR's so that I will NEVER have to worry about cables being the weak link in my chain ;)

So my suggestion to you is either, 1. if you have the knowledge to replace or solder a pair of cables yourself w/ the best components possible(Neutrik Connectors/4% Silver-Based Solder/Belden 1804a or mil-spec silver-clad copper cabling/3:1 heatshrink and some techflex to make them even more durable OR 2. get someone to make you a pair of cables like that and you will never have that problem again(hopefully). Dont skimp on the cables and you'll be a happy tapir for a very long time! I can rest assured that I KNOW my cables are functioning properly ALL THE TIME and are also made w/ the best and most HQ components, and its one less thing to worry about in this fun, yet complex hobby of ours ;)

Like I said, I just spent $170.00 on my 20' XLR's I bought around XMAS, but thats $170.00 I only have to spend ONCE, and I know that they are funbctioning properly for MANY YEARS to come ;)

Good luck and I hope that your problem is ONLY a bad cable and that everything can be easily fixed/replaced ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com