Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP 911 EMERGENCY HD-P2 AND BEER!!  (Read 6075 times)

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
HELP 911 EMERGENCY HD-P2 AND BEER!!
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:34:42 PM »
Got a full beer spilled on the front of my hd-p2, it was vertical and upright.  Everything was all connected and running powered her down wiped it up.  Connect power to it and it seems none of the buttons on the top or face are working.  Should I open her up and let it dry and then re-try?  Am I fucked?  Got a full lineup of shows coming up....
Barrett
PS - If I can't get it up and running.  Do I contact oade about a fix since he modded it?  Or do I send directly to tascam for a fix? 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:15:15 AM by barrettphisher »
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: HELP 911 EMERGENCY HD-P2 AND BEER!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:37:16 PM »
I would open it up and let it air dry for a couple of days

good luck B
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »
Crappy Barrett!!

I had a full mixed drink spilled into my bag at the very end of NYE for Yonder when I went over to the mic tree to retrieve my mics.  The V3 didn't seem to be working right afterwards, but was fine once it dried out.

I had a lot of trouble with the soft switches (freq select, peak reset, ANSR) sticking and not working right though.  I took it apart and cleaned it up real good with 91% isopropyl alcohol and qtips.  You might try something like that, but get the high proof alcohol since the regular stuff is only 70% (ie, 30% water) and I don't think the high water content stuff would be good on your deck.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:37:09 AM »
Hate to hear that Good luck!

I remember dropping my d100 in a huge beer years ago. Had it cleaned & it worked perfect.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:49:17 AM »
I wouldn't say your totally fucked, but i would definitely have someone who knows what there doing opening up the unit and clean it out. Letting the beer dry out may make it functional but all that stickiness inside is bound to cause problems. It's not worth loosing a good show by an intermittent deck that wasn't properly checked out.
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:44:46 AM »
I have said this many times.. When you get anything spilled into your gear the last thing you want to do is power it back up.. IMEDIATLY REMOVE THE SOURCE OF POWER AND TAKE IT APART AND LET IT DRY.. Never take chances that its ok. This is how the damage happens..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »
Call Doug.  Ask permission to open it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »
Call Doug. Ask permission to open it.

best advice so far!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
I'd do my best to get that thing working by yourself. If you send it to Tascam, there is a good chance that they will send it back to you as is, due to the fact that the warranty is voided by the modification. This is one of the several reasons that I am not a fan of "mods" done by 3rd party vendors.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline barrettphisher

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »
I'd do my best to get that thing working by yourself. If you send it to Tascam, there is a good chance that they will send it back to you as is, due to the fact that the warranty is voided by the modification. This is one of the several reasons that I am not a fan of "mods" done by 3rd party vendors.

I know that it's not within warranty anymore.  I'm gonna get it fixed I don't care how much it costs at this point.  My concern now is that Tascam would replace the parts that Doug put in the unit.  I want to keep it an Oade mod unit.  I'm going to try and contact Doug today as well as Tascam and see where to go with it at this point.  I powered it up this morning and same thing it powers on but none of the buttons are functioning. 
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Chris Church is right on, don't power it up anymore until you've let it dry out completely and you can clean it
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »

I know that it's not within warranty anymore.  I'm gonna get it fixed I don't care how much it costs at this point.  My concern now is that Tascam would replace the parts that Doug put in the unit. 

That's what I am saying.....I have a feeling that Tascam won't do anything at all for you now that it's been modified.
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to have Doug fix it and/or deal with Tascam as a Tascam dealer.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
What about the beer, was it salvaged at all?

<jk> Best of luck on the repairs and there is plenty of good advice above.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »

keep your Tascam away from this chick!

Offline barrettphisher

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Got a full beer spilled on the front of my hd-p2, it was vertical and upright.  Everything was all connected and running powered her down wiped it up.  Connect power to it and it seems none of the buttons on the top or face are working.  Should I open her up and let it dry and then re-try?  Am I fucked?  Got a full lineup of shows coming up....
Barrett
PS - If I can't get it up and running.  Do I contact oade about a fix since he modded it?  Or do I send directly to tascam for a fix? 

Well I heard from Doug and the HD-P2 is headed his way for repair.  After speaking to several reps at Tascam the deck is repairable!!!  Hopefully this will have a happy ending.  I will now use this as a public reminder that summer shows are here and you should NEVER leave your gear uncovered!!  My accident was caused a member of the band I was going to tape and it was the house sound guys beer!  Please invest in a cover or a proper bag for your summer taping endeavors.  Happy Taping....
Barrett

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:06:33 AM »

keep your Tascam away from this chick!

If she puts the beers down, do I have to stay away from her?  Maybe she could loan you her shirt to dry things off a bit....
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline HarpDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
Glad you got it taken care of. When I dunked my cell phone I went online to see what to do and there is abundant info. For those who dunk their electronic equipment in the future: If it's dunked in something other than water, immediately rinse it in water (you don't want sticky crap in there when it dries). Then put your oven on the lowest setting and cook it for 4 hours with the battery removed. After that, it's all better. I did this and my phone was perfect. My oven is a gas one and I was concerned that even the lowest setting was too hot, so I left the oven open a little. The key to this working it to do it before there has been any chance of corrosion (within 24 hours).

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
I spilled beer on my own R-4! :yikes:  And yes, I'm a dumbass...  Worked perfectly ever since, except now the display is funky...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:37:49 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79907.0.html and I thought I fried it.  I took the top off, let it dry out for a few more days,  took out all the buttons from the top and soaked them in the other kinda alcohol.  I swabbed down the top of the pcb with alcohol let it dry again for a few days and she powered right back up again.  What a PITA but it stills going strong.  Good Luck
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

Offline barrettphisher

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »
Doug is a magic man...HDP2 fixed and on its' way back home to the Mountains!!!!  Lesson learned, keep you stuff covered at all times people!!!! 
Barrett

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Barrett
Do not power this up for at least a week of drying out.. Then you can take 100 % alcohol and cotton swabs and remove the sticky beer.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
FWIW, I dunked my cellphone in the toilet, and putting in a sealed plastic bag with some uncooked rice helped dry it out (rice sucks the moisture right up)
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
Ewwww!

Offline anarkust

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 08:34:58 AM »
FWIW, I dunked my cellphone in the toilet

Why would you do that??   :sick:

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
do your HD-p2 a favor and buy it a nice porta brace bag for it!
It fits it like a glove and will take the brunt of any liquid poured directly on it.
Although I don't recommend doing that again.
Actually my preamp and p2 have porta braces as an extra layer of protection plus I always leave it in the gear bag and the lid closed unless I'm messing around in the bag.
Glad to hear it was a happy ending.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
do your HD-p2 a favor and buy it a nice porta brace bag for it!
It fits it like a glove and will take the brunt of any liquid poured directly on it.
Although I don't recommend doing that again.
Actually my preamp and p2 have porta braces as an extra layer of protection plus I always leave it in the gear bag and the lid closed unless I'm messing around in the bag.
Glad to hear it was a happy ending.

porta brace also sells rain slicks or as I call it ''my beer slick."  I bought it to protect my gear from my beer.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
FWIW, I dunked my cellphone in the toilet

Why would you do that??   :sick:
vodka...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com