Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 HR Question  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
Edirol R-09 HR Question
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
After years of taping with dat,I switched over to an Edirol a few months ago.I've used it 4 or 5 times now.I've noticed that it is sensitive if you happen to use the internal mic,and it will pick up noise if you happen to be hand holding the deck when using the internal mic and move your hand,etc.My question is this: Will using an external mic still pick up noise if you happen to move the deck around while taping? I've used the Edirol for taping "Taper friendly bands",so I don't need to be hand holding the deck and don't have to worry about picking up external noise,etc.,plus I'm using an Edirol UA-5 pre-amp w/Nak 300 mics. But what about using an external mic,and then leaving the Edirol in,say a fanny pack.Will it still pick up noise if the deck moves around in the fanny pack? I will be seeing Rush in another month and a half and will have to stealth.Don't know if I want to be hand holding the Edirol for a 2 1/2 hour plus Rush show,and would prefer to just set my levels and leave the deck running in my fanny pack.I'm debating on running Dat and leaving the Dat deck in the fanny pack because the Sony D8 dat will not pick up noise from it moving around in the fanny pack.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09 HR Question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
what you are experiencing has a highly technical noise called handling noise. The mics for the unit are those silver things on top so when you touch them and most any other part of the recorder while it is recording, that sound will be picked up. I would hate to hear what the recording sounds like if you try to record a show with the recorder in a fanny pack.

using external mics connected to the 09hr will end the handling noise so long as your mics remain stationary and are not rolling around on the ground.  ;D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I think I will run an external mic into the Edirol and have the Edirol in the fanny pack.I shouldn't be moving around alot,so the "Handling noise" will hopefully be kept to a mininum.Thanks again!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I think I will run an external mic into the Edirol and have the Edirol in the fanny pack.I shouldn't be moving around alot,so the "Handling noise" will hopefully be kept to a mininum.Thanks again!

As rastasean says, when using external mics you get no noise from handling the recorder at all. If you let something brush against the externals, you will get similar noise though. If you clip mics to a shirt it's not hard for something to brush against them occasionally (even the shirt itself). If hidden in the liner of a hat it's not going to happen (unless you forget and touch the hat in the wrong place yourself).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com