Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick advice on show tonight  (Read 1825 times)

Offline bc3ironmaiden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
quick advice on show tonight
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
I just purchased this package , they just arrived and I am going to see alice Cooper & Rob Zombie tonight. I do not have enough time to expierment with them, any suggestions on where to place the Bass Rolloff, I never used one before.
Thank You

SP-CMC-2 Sound Professionals  Deluxe Audio Technica Cardioid Stereo Microphones with Clips and Windscreens  Add low sensitivity modification for very high sound levels
SP-SPSB-8 Sound Professionals  Mini Battery Module with Standard 9V Battery and 4 inch Output Cable Standard   4 inch output cable (standard); Add 7 position bass roll off
our desired Roll-off Frequency          These switches set to the “open” position
16Hz (no roll-off)

69Hz

95Hz

107Hz

160Hz

195Hz

888Hz

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: quick advice on show tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
If I were you, I'd do 69 (or none) and learn how to roll it off in post editing later so you can get the roll off amount correct. If you don't want to tinker with it later, then I'd look at 195.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
Switchable roll-off boxes are such a joke. I can't believe they even bother quoting exact hertz.

Roll-off is directly affected by the input impedance of the recorder. Without knowing your exact record, its input impedance, and doing a few calculations they might as well just say "None, Some, and Lots."

Use the setting for '69hz'

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
^ Really?  I don't have anything to dispute what you're saying, but when I had that same battery box that's being asked about, I did some A vs B experimenting with the different settings and it seemed to work halfway decent.  Based on that experiment, I set my battery box to start rolling off at 95 with the SP-CMC-4 mics.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:43:29 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
Many recorders fall into a general range of input impedances; 10k is pretty common and my guess on what they predetermined values assume.

However, the range can vary wildly. Take for example a Sony DAT or MD recorder (sorry.. I don't know the M10 input impedance off the top of my head). The mic in input impedance is 4.7k. The line input impedance is 47k. That's a difference of 10x! What gives you excellent roll-off on mic in will give you virtually none going line in. What gives you perfect roll-off going line-in will make a mic in recording sound like it was made with tin cans and a string.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com