Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Set up for mics on un-amplified quartet or quintet w/ C-4>UA-5>JB3  (Read 1974 times)

Offline bodegahwy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I am guessing use the omnis and "Healy Technique" (as described in the Oade mic faq)  Anybody had the chance to do this much?  I should be able to set up pretty much anywhere I want.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:05:21 AM by bodegahwy »
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Set up for mics on un-amplified quartet or quintet w/ C-4>UA-5>JB3
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:04:14 PM »
bump...  any help?
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
how are the musicians going to set up (location on stage)?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 05:30:12 PM »
They will be at one end of a large room, probably in a small semi-circle.

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 01:38:48 PM »
Thanks,  Strings yes, but not all violins.  I will be able to set up before people arrive.  It is better to be kind of low (eye level, when seated)  in front of the group at the distance you mention or higher above them.  I could probably use a boom stand and go about five feet directly above the center of all of them.  Cardiods pointed at them or Omnis some arrangement?  The Healy set up mentioned in the Oade Faq looks intersting for setting up above them or perhaps just in front of the focal point of the semi circle.

Thanks again for the ideas.  I have done a fair amount of taping, but nearly all from P.A.s not from unamplified intruments.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:45:19 PM »
Overhead healy would give you an interesting result. I'd try it if it is not mission critical, but it would be an experiment I'd skip if the show really mattered. I've thought about doing it in the middle of The Hackensaw Boys. They all play clustered around one mic, so I figured it would sound really good, but it is just a theory.

My guess would be cards ortf centered on the group and a few feet back. 3 feet or so of the floor is enough. No need to be head high. Also saves some grief. Nobody will complain they can't see the musicians knees.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:11:53 PM »
I'd probably run cards x/y 90* about 6'-15' from the musicians (as Moke said, if you get too close you'll pick up all the unwanted mechanical noise from the instruments).  I'd never use the "Healy critically spaced omni" inside - I did it once and got way too much "room" sound.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 04:23:38 PM »
The show is friends that playing a fund raiser in a gallery, they would like to have a recording.... I would like to mess around with my new rig: a match made in heaven.  The audience will not be seated.. more milling around.  I think I will try both ideas.  Start with overhead Healy omnis and when they take a break go to music stand + height cards a few feet in front of them.  Since the "audience" will not be watching, I doubt they will be bothered by the vision thing.  Should be interesting.

I think I'll experiment in the living room on myself with the mic set-ups playing my guitar.  Total volume will be less, but the quality of the instrument sound should be instructive.

Thanks again for all the ideas.  I see this +T thing,  what is that exactly?  What Scott rods do you have?  I have 9' for 6# S3, a 9' for 9# S3S and a 9' for 7# S3S.

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 05:42:49 PM »
Those SAS rods are nice too.  I have a bunch of other rods as well (industry whore that I am)  Better a dozen rods than a dozen guitars!  They are not only less expensive (1/10th) it is harder for my wife to keep track of how many there are and I can make the arguement that they are for work.. sort of..

Many folks have been very helpful to me, yourself included, how do I give the tickets?  I have not seen a link for that anywhere.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 05:45:05 PM »
you cant give tickets until you complete 50 post...so post away!1 +t for being here
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 07:25:30 PM »
Very nice indeed.  If I could, I would give you a +T (not that you need any more of them) for brightening my afternoon.  Looks a lot like my part of the world.  My wife would really like the pond.  I keep telling her we can't do that kind of thing here with snow on the ground for 5 months of the year and a chance of frost in 10 months.

Nice brown in the net there.  Do you need some waders?  If I fished all the time in those streams I could stop at 4 weight.  That's my favorite kind of water.  I travel for work and get fish a lot of places though, so the quiver needs to be a bit bigger than just for my home water.

I guess the thread would be completly gone if I did not add:

Nice recornding too.  What was the rig?

My personal fetish for forums is to dig out old threads that interest me and revive them...  as I did with the Analog tapers thread on the Open Forum.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:27:57 PM by bodegahwy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com