Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you ever EQ your recordings in post?  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Do you ever EQ your recordings in post?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 10:20:59 AM »
Say you have your levels set around mid point on both the UA-5 and h120. When you need to bump up the gain a bit is it best to increase it on the UA-5 or on the recorder? Or is there no difference - gain is gain?

Gain is not gain.  Some devices provide cleaner gain than others.  But that's a moot issue in this scenario.  Well, assuming one feeds the H120 a digital signal from the UA5, anyway.  In that case, all gain control comes from the UA5 and the gain settings on the H120 (or any other recorder receiving the digital signal from the UA5) do not matter.

If one's feeding an analog signal from the UA5 to the H120 (not sure why one would do so), then one could use the gain control on both the UA5 and H120.  I would guess the UA5 provides cleaner gain than the H120, but I do not know since I have not tested both units.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
Until about two years ago, I always added EQ. Then I upgraded my playback system, and suddenly many older recordings that I had messed with sounded terrible. That's why I stopped doing it.

Bingo! If you have a cheesy setup, then let 'em alone. I have the option to mess around with mine,  and I do, but I do multi-channel recording and I master using:

MOTU 2408mk3 > QSC RMX2450 > Earthworks Sigma 6.2 monitors

If you don't have the right setup, what you think you're changing you're probably not. You're compensating for room and equipment instead of for the recording. Then when it gets played elsewhere it sounds very different. I have not found this to be the case with stuff I've worked on using the setup listed above.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 09:35:52 PM »
never i always end up screwing with it to much.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 05:33:03 PM »
I always EQ/master my recordings.  If you've heard any before/after's I've done you'll know why.  I use mostly Waves and PSP plug-ins and a few specialty ones as well depending on a variety of factors.

Offline Mingle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »
I don't do anything to any of my recordings, whether they sound good to me or not.  I figure I'll give people the raw data, and they can tweak it via EQ or whatever in their own listening environment.  I'll often EQ stuff a little (usually adding a touch to the high end) when I listen at home.

-Nic
AKG 480 ck61/ck63 > V3 > M1 or iriver H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 06:36:53 PM »
I always EQ/master my recordings.  If you've heard any before/after's I've done you'll know why.  I use mostly Waves and PSP plug-ins and a few specialty ones as well depending on a variety of factors.

I'd like to hear some before / after clips if you're willing to share.  I've done very little mastering in post, but am curious how big an impact it can have.  One of these days I'll find the time to start learning more about post production, but...unfortunatley, today is not the day.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RebelRebel

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »

I'd like to hear some before / after clips if you're willing to share.  I've done very little mastering in post, but am curious how big an impact it can have.  One of these days I'll find the time to start learning more about post production, but...unfortunatley, today is not the day.
Brian..this is really helpful

www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com

as is the course "Golden Ears" by timothy moulton...has helped me immensely.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:49 PM »
I always do for indoor recordings.  I EQ-out the room's mud only.  Nothing else.  Give careful attention to the highs, so that they don't bleed through when de-mudding.  Always keep the master on file and share the edited version.

Offline Bart.VL71

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
I always EQ. I remove the muddiness (150 Hz - 1 kHz), boost the very high end and boost the very low end a little. My tapes sound much better afterwards.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com