Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is 9V into a 5V connection OK?  (Read 2782 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Is 9V into a 5V connection OK?
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
I know this has probably been asked millions of times, but I'll make it one more.

I have a bunch of the 9V 5400mAh batteries laying around and a cable that works to connect it to my Marantz PMD-660, which requires only 5V at the adapter plug.  When connecting the 9V battery, the PMD fires up OK (of course I took out the AAs to make sure that the power from the 5400 was in fact the battery that was powering the recorder). 

So, is there any reason that I wouldn't want to use these batteries to power the 660 for an entire show?   (I think I read somewhere that an electronic device may heat up with the higher input voltage?)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:30:58 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: Is 9V into a 5V connection OK?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:32:26 PM »
I know absolutely nothing about the 660 but personally I'd be afraid of giving it almost double what it's expecting.  I'd go the LM7805 + small heatsink route.  Works great for running a jb3 off a 9v.

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
yeah, they are real easy to make if you have the time. ive made one, about to make another for my MT. here is a DIY i made a while ago: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,76391.0.html
be sure to buy a heatsink if you go this route though. very necessary. im pretty sure they can be had at radioshack too

gl
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »
the 660's input tolerance is actually very lenient, but I would think 9.6v is streatching it...GREATLY.
it will handle 6v ok.  It might even tolerate 7.2v.

9v, you will likely fry it..eventually. 

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »
the 660's input tolerance is actually very lenient, but I would think 9.6v is streatching it...GREATLY.
it will handle 6v ok.  It might even tolerate 7.2v.

9v, you will likely fry it..eventually. 

I think I would have to agree with NP. I bought an Li-Ion battery pack that will run it for a day continuously with phantom power on and full meter monitoring, but it cost me like $99.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 01:43:32 AM »
Thanks for all the excellent responses guys.  I figured that I shouldn't let it run with the 9V battery.  I was just kinda thrown by the fact that it even fired up at all with the 9V battery attached and since it did fire up, wondered about using the 9V.  I have a power runner (with adjustable output voltage) so that's my main power source besides rechargeable AA batteries, but I think I may give the DIY project a go too.  Never can have too many power options.  Thanks again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com