Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/8th inch mic extender cable  (Read 4642 times)

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
1/8th inch mic extender cable
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
I have for At853's on the way and was curious about getting/making a 8 foot extension to be able to run the mics on a stand. 

I have several Mic cables laying around the house so was hoping to do this myself; I have (had)  an 8 foot XLR female to 1/4.  I took both ends off and replaced with a 1/8th inch male and female respectively.  The cable works but is only mono.  Any help?

And also was curious of opinions on using an extension cable.  Is any sound lost by adding an extra set of connections?  I'm looking into this because i'd like to be able to use these mics for both open and stealthing, and it would be nice to have just the 3 foot cable for stealth and be able to add a longer set for open taping. Thanks
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: 1/8th inch mic extender cable
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
thanks for the links.

Are headphone cables not as good quality wise to use though?  I was hoping that some of the mic cables i have would have better shielding ect to run to the mics, but again the one i've tried to make only has one channel.
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »
  It sounds like your ends are not put on correctly.

3 wires =

1 wire common ground

1 wire lest side

1 wire right side

Make your choice on dolors to use for each, stick both ends on in same way, check for shorts visually or (better) with multi-meter. 

Sounds like your at the check for shorts stage.........

Joe

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »
Thanks Joe, bout to tape them apart for the third time and see if i'm missing something.
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 04:23:13 PM »
I use this extender for when I run an open rig from my stealth gear and I do not think I have much signal loss:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSC-1

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »
Hey Joe: the mic cable i'm using only has 2 wires, while the plug has three.

And thanks Belexes, that cable looks better than the others i've looked at, was just hoping i could make one with the crap i have lying around.
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »

Are you using the shield for your ground? 

Does it have 2 wires + shield, or 1 wire + shield?

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:46:19 AM »

Are you using the shield for your ground? 

Does it have 2 wires + shield, or 1 wire + shield?

2 wires- one in clear plastic, the other just spread around the cord (shield?) ?  I tried hooking them up several diff. ways, but only have one channel.
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 10:27:40 PM »

2 wires- one in clear plastic, the other just spread around the cord (shield?) ?  I tried hooking them up several diff. ways, but only have one channel.

Yeah that is the shield...but you need a 2-condutor + shield cable to do what you want to do.  Sounds like you wired it up correctly though!

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
yes sir JMOS, i was just hoping i could use what was around the house instead of buying something.  Have 3 more mics hardwired, and wouldn't miss cutting them up, my guitar days are lacking and so is my money.  But thank you sir and +T has been given.  Now should i cut up and respectively fuck up my other mic cables ?  or just buy something?
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 11:20:36 PM »
yes sir JMOS, i was just hoping i could use what was around the house instead of buying something.  Have 3 more mics hardwired, and wouldn't miss cutting them up, my guitar days are lacking and so is my money.  But thank you sir and +T has been given.  Now should i cut up and respectively fuck up my other mic cables ?  or just buy something?

Well I guess it depends if you want to chop another of your cables...

You could probably buy a piece of cable pretty cheaply.  I recently bought some of that Musilux cable that member ShaneJackson is selling and am pretty happy with it.  He bought a big roll of it and probably would sell you whatever length you needed.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 11:41:27 PM »
thanks for the response!  was just hoping to save some money, but sounds like i need to spend some.  I chose the xlr cable because of it's thickness and flexability, i.e. didn't look cheap, and now it seems i should've kept that calbe alone, not cut it.

Damn disability is killing me, money is beyond short (way short) and was hoping i could slide by.

Thanks for all the help
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 12:00:14 AM »
thanks for the response!  was just hoping to save some money, but sounds like i need to spend some.  I chose the xlr cable because of it's thickness and flexability, i.e. didn't look cheap, and now it seems i should've kept that calbe alone, not cut it.

Damn disability is killing me, money is beyond short (way short) and was hoping i could slide by.

Thanks for all the help

Send me your address and I'll send you a length of black XLR free of charge.
+T back'atcha

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com