Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 98332 times)

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

You should run the board feed at far left analog gain as this line in....  Inner knob @ 12:00 as it isn't even there....

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
Allow no blinking.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #272 on: May 05, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
the fact is that if you've set the inner (digital) knob too high, the brickwalling/peak distortion is going to still be there.  The wav flatlines, even though the flatline is at about -20db.  When I brought down the inner (digital) knob, it was after the first set and the last two sets of the night are perfect.

OK wait, if you had the inner (digital) knob set at 12:00, there should have been no digital gain added. From the manual:

Turn the Input level knob [LEVEL] (inner) to the center position. This position is 0 dB.

Are you saying you had to turn the inner knob down below 12:00, thus subtracting gain digitally, to keep from brickwalling?

I'll be running my first SBD patch with this box Friday, and would love to get it right the first time  :-\

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2009, 11:50:38 PM »
I pull soundboard + mics almost every Friday & Saturday night. I set the inner knob to 12:00 for all channels and forget it. Then I set the levels with the outer knob with a little headroom (usually 1 click) and record at 24bit. You have to also consider that the output of the board has a pot and it should be set at unity too. A soundman that doesn't know or doesn't care could alter that setting.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
the fact is that if you've set the inner (digital) knob too high, the brickwalling/peak distortion is going to still be there.  The wav flatlines, even though the flatline is at about -20db.  When I brought down the inner (digital) knob, it was after the first set and the last two sets of the night are perfect.

OK wait, if you had the inner (digital) knob set at 12:00, there should have been no digital gain added. From the manual:

Turn the Input level knob [LEVEL] (inner) to the center position. This position is 0 dB.

Are you saying you had to turn the inner knob down below 12:00, thus subtracting gain digitally, to keep from brickwalling?

I'll be running my first SBD patch with this box Friday, and would love to get it right the first time  :-\

Yes, I had to turn the inner knob down two clicks to 10 o'clock.  I assume that this is a "hot" board feed, but again it was my first time with this deck.   I've had feeds from this board before (maybe 10 times) but that was using the UA-5, which has very low gain to begin with.  Obviously, YMMV.

[edit]

Ok, let me just clarify this a bit.  When I say "inner", the knob is the much shorter knob that is adjusted with "clicks" or interval settings.  The "outer" knob is the longer one with the smooth adjustment. 
The longer "outer" knob could be called inside because it is thinner and longer, but technically further inside of the pot. 
Have I now confused everyone?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:36:16 AM by danlynch »
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2009, 04:53:44 AM »
You have the special honour of being the first person to describe the knob that clicks - the analog gain knob - as being the "inner" knob.  It's always referred to as the outer knob, because it runs round the outside of the knob that does not click, which is the digital gain knob, which should always be at 12 o'clock (or higher but there's no point if editing in a DAW later).  It should never be lower than 12 o'clock as that would result in clipping from the analog stage being recorded at a lower digital level, but still with the analog clipping.

Note that the preamp has clipping indicators to the left of the meters.  That will show clipping requiring you to lower the clickable part of the knob, regardless of what the level meters are showing.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2009, 05:04:28 AM »
...the knob that does not click, which is the digital gain knob...

You know they really should have made both 'clicky'...how many hours have I been double checking all my inner (digital gain) knobs are in the 12 O'Clock position? :( if they at least had a 0 dB 'detent' would be nice.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #277 on: May 06, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
Yup - and/or a on-screen readout of precise setting, like those for the clicky knobs.  Now that could be a firmware addition, in theory - which I think I did email them about.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #278 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »
You have the special honour of being the first person to describe the knob that clicks - the analog gain knob - as being the "inner" knob.  It's always referred to as the outer knob, because it runs round the outside of the knob that does not click, which is the digital gain knob, which should always be at 12 o'clock (or higher but there's no point if editing in a DAW later).  It should never be lower than 12 o'clock as that would result in clipping from the analog stage being recorded at a lower digital level, but still with the analog clipping.

Note that the preamp has clipping indicators to the left of the meters.  That will show clipping requiring you to lower the clickable part of the knob, regardless of what the level meters are showing.

So it is decreed, from this point further, that I shall, with due haste, from hereon out refer to the knobs as "the clicky one" and "the smooth one".

It does seem pretty counter-intuitive that the clicky knob should be the one that adjusts on the fly and the smooth knob is always set at 12 o'clock, if I'm reading things the right way.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #279 on: May 06, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

So it is decreed, from this point further, that I shall, with due haste, from hereon out refer to the knobs as "the clicky one" and "the smooth one".

It does seem pretty counter-intuitive that the clicky knob should be the one that adjusts on the fly and the smooth knob is always set at 12 o'clock, if I'm reading things the right way.

You are now reading things the right way. Clicky = analog, Smooth = digital.

Actually in practice it's a great system, you wind the clicky knob up until it clips (if your source is loud enough), then back it off 1 or 2 clicks depending on how confident you are of the Max volume the source will reach.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
... and if you regularly use the same mics and record broadly the same kind of music, you may well find that you rarely use other than one clicky knob position.  Set and forget.

kirk97132

« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
So the Edirol firm ware update is for clicky and smooth ;D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
Allow no blinking.

best advice to date

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
Allow no blinking.

best advice to date

Even yet I don't push my analog levels too high.  I still back off the R-44 analog inputs a 'click' or two because hot levels have a tendency to sound distorted.  ymmv.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »
Seems to me that my R44 is pretty conservative on the level metering....

What would appear to be -12dB on the meters are really -20 in wavelab. But when I fed a test tone at 1k @0dB from a Soundcraft Ghost, meters reported true, same for -3 and -6dB.

Anyone have similiar feelings?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:06:01 PM by bugg100 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com