Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small portable mixer recommendations needed fast...  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Small portable mixer recommendations needed fast...
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:41:46 PM »
What mixers are you guys using for matrixes and on the fly SBD/ audience mic mixing and recording?
I spent the whole day looking for a small (minimum 4 channel) mixer today. There must be ten mixers in the $100 range that I looked at. Which ones are best? I saw the Peavey, Yamaha, Wharfedale, Tascam, Tapco, Behringer and on and on... Are they all basically the same? Are they all crap? I have listened to most of them, in  the stores, but it is difficult at best to make a decision based on what you hear in a music store with some kid playing the bass right next to you while you are auditioning a mixer  :-[

I need two channels (with phantom power) for microphones and two for line/sbd feed. AC power is not a problem. Clean sound and ease of use are key.

If you have a mixer you really like, or one you really don't like, I'd like to hear your opinion and the reason you feel that way. I'll be making a purchase ASAP for a project later in the week.

Chuck
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Small portable mixer recommendations needed fast...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:48:46 PM »
What mixers are you guys using for matrixes and on the fly SBD/ audience mic mixing and recording?
I spent the whole day looking for a small (minimum 4 channel) mixer today. There must be ten mixers in the $100 range that I looked at. Which ones are best? I saw the Peavey, Yamaha, Wharfedale, Tascam, Tapco, Behringer and on and on... Are they all basically the same? Are they all crap? I have listened to most of them, in  the stores, but it is difficult at best to make a decision based on what you hear in a music store with some kid playing the bass right next to you while you are auditioning a mixer  :-[

I need two channels (with phantom power) for microphones and two for line/sbd feed. AC power is not a problem. Clean sound and ease of use are key.

If you have a mixer you really like, or one you really don't like, I'd like to hear your opinion and the reason you feel that way. I'll be making a purchase ASAP for a project later in the week.

Chuck

I don't think it matters much in that price range.  It comes down to features: ac/dc power (ext. power brick needed), phantom power needed (can it do this from DC power), (apparent) build quality, connectors, metering, etc.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »
Mackie 1202 VLZ   ;D

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 11:01:57 AM »
I use the Yamaha MG10/2...love it!

It had the best metering...peak lights on all 4 mic ins...thats a key feature.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 11:13:40 AM »
I use the Yamaha MG10/2...love it!

It had the best metering...peak lights on all 4 mic ins...thats a key feature.

I actually looked at this mixer yesterday and liked it. It seems to have decent meters.
Are the mic pre-amps OK? Basically what I'm going to do is take a SBD feed and mix in enough audience (from mics on stage pointed at the audience) to make it sound good on the fly. It's been a while since I've bought a mixer or any otboard gear like that other than my two track taping stuff. The Yamaha dealer in town was actually pushing the Peavey equivilent over the Yamaha.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »
IMO whatever mixer you choose make sure it has solo's on it.  Key feature for matrix.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
IMO whatever mixer you choose make sure it has solo's on it.  Key feature for matrix.

Yes, I agree, that is the feature this is really missing in the mixers I have been looking at.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
Great deal.  This is what I have....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-1202-VLZ-Mixer-MINT-Condition_W0QQitemZ7405652146QQcategoryZ41473QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's actually a ton of em on ebay.  I'd go that route if I were you.  Just make sure it's a vlz.  They have solos.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:05:28 PM by tapermark »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:10:41 PM »

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »
Even though it has 2 more pres I'd still go for the Mackie above.  The mackie pres are nice although I still run external pre's before it anyways.  Just my opinion and it ain't worth much.  Good luck Chuck.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.234 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com