Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shapeways mount / Shure doughnut - suggestions?  (Read 7240 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shapeways mount / Shure doughnut - suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 04:29:50 PM »
Hoping to learn something here.... Are the Shapeways bars 'better' than the Schoeps bar or its clones (Kwon, NOLA, etc)?

Depends.  Note that the Shapeways bars are plastic, and wouldn't be appropriate for a situation where they might see abuse.  Though I use them a lot, I personally wouldn't use them in a pro situation...for that I'd want something more robust.

Are shapeways mounts really that fragile? If so I just blew $35.

If you are talking about SRS Recording Services specifically, then you have nothing to fear.  I find them to be very robust, particularly the new versions.  There are some strong naysayers, especially on GS Remote, who have never actually tried them.  The same is true for Scott's Rycote Lyre Mounting Base.  High quality construction; derided by those with no experience with it.

My mics are not very expensive, but I would have no qualms about running SRS mounts with mics costing thousands each.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Hoping to learn something here.... Are the Shapeways bars 'better' than the Schoeps bar or its clones (Kwon, NOLA, etc)?

Depends.  Note that the Shapeways bars are plastic, and wouldn't be appropriate for a situation where they might see abuse.  Though I use them a lot, I personally wouldn't use them in a pro situation...for that I'd want something more robust.

You should be fine if you're careful with them, but they definitely aren't as sturdy as some of the other options.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

^
Shapeways mounts are NOT fragile!!

I do take care of my gear and I know that you do too.  I have a boatload of Shapeways mounts for the various mics in my locker and I have NEVER had a breakage issue with any of them. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:59:42 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
is there a knock off shure doughnut style shock?   links & suggestions appreciated.   my shapeways mount is a little small for my current elastic based shockmounts.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »

^
Shapeways mounts are NOT fragile!!

I do take care of my gear and I know that you do too.  I have a boatload of Shapeways mounts for the various mics in my locker and I have NEVER had a breakage issue with any of them.

I guess it's all relative, but I've seen at least one break without being abused.  It was one of the Schoeps active mounts, and those mounts have some pretty thin bits to them.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online voltronic

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
is there a knock off shure doughnut style shock?   links & suggestions appreciated.   my shapeways mount is a little small for my current elastic based shockmounts.

My opinion is that the Rycote Lyre style mounts are superior in every way.  They are particularly easy to use with these Shapeways bars.  They are worth every bit the price.

The easiest way to go is with a Rycote INV-6.

If you're OCD like me and will be bothered by the fact that your mics will be off-center of the stand with one of those, and you don't need it to tilt, just get a pair of the standard 72-shore lyres and a SRS mounting base.  This is exactly the setup I use with my SRS / Shapeways bars, and it comes out be the same price as an INV-6.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »

Yeah my Shapeways Schoeps actives DIN bar wont work with an A20s mount. But it’s perfect in a Shure donut. Is there any issue with running this way? I tape open like 3 times a year, don’t really want to kick down for a Rycote mount.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:17:30 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »
Ran my 4v vertically for the first time ever, the Shapeways Schoeps actives DIN Vertical bar was a champ. I ran it inside of a knockoff Shure donut for Cass McCombs. I had my small stand bungeed to a pillar about 20’ from stage, 10’ up. The floor is wooden, and there was some stomping before the encore. The floor always vibrates, but no issues with the donut/mount. Very happy with the Shapeways. And my $5 donut. 😂

It’s one show, but I also think the verticals sound better run vertically, as opposed to DIN in a DIN bar horizontally I use for stealth. Seems to be a more airy and open presentation. I rarely run open so opportunities are rare. 

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 11:10:39 PM »
Ran my 4v vertically for the first time ever, the Shapeways Schoeps actives DIN Vertical bar was a champ. I ran it inside of a knockoff Shure donut for Cass McCombs. I had my small stand bungeed to a pillar about 20’ from stage, 10’ up. The floor is wooden, and there was some stomping before the encore. The floor always vibrates, but no issues with the donut/mount. Very happy with the Shapeways. And my $5 donut. 😂

It’s one show, but I also think the verticals sound better run vertically, as opposed to DIN in a DIN bar horizontally I use for stealth. Seems to be a more airy and open presentation. I rarely run open so opportunities are rare.

do you have a link to the $5 mount?

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 05:52:26 PM »
Ah no, sorry, it’s been years

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 06:14:51 PM »

Looks more like a long john than a donut.
 ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Online voltronic

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
I'll say this once more an then I promise I'll STFU about it:

I went through several different cheap shockmounts.  Some are OK, like the cheap Schoeps A20 knockoff I used for a while.  None of them isolate anywhere near as well as the Rycote InVision mounts.  They are worth the investment, especially given the fact that the lyres are nearly impossible to break.  I know I sound like I am a paid spokesperson, but really I am a converted skeptic.

If you think Rycote is expensive, then check out Cinela...
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

I went through several different cheap shockmounts.  Some are OK, like the cheap Schoeps A20 knockoff I used for a while.  None of them isolate anywhere near as well as the Rycote InVision mounts.  They are worth the investment, especially given the fact that the lyres are nearly impossible to break.  I know I sound like I am a paid spokesperson, but really I am a converted skeptic.

You know, it’s a whole Nother game running full sized mics in a cheap mount. I’d never do that. But with just caps in a Shapeways I don’t think it matters much. First time out there could not have been more vibrations, yet no audio evidence of any at all.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »

^
Volt,

I agree with you 100% but I've also decided to STFU about this in this thread.  Shapeways & Rycote InVision mounts reign supreme for our purposes and they are most assuredly worth the modest investment for running active & full bodied mics, in my opinion...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:46:29 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com